2 Questions for Ya:

Very likely within the next 11.3 hours you appendages will start to convulse and draw in. Then…God help you.

DH

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
i can’t afford Flameout anymore, or any fish oil for that matter. does this mean my body is going to become crippled?[/quote]

Actually, dips for total activation of all 3 heads. Skullcrushers done on a slight decline (say a 6 inch block under one end or the equivalent) will also hit all three heads with a particularly glorious focus on the long head.

As per EMG studies by Tesch.

DH

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Dips for the short head, skullcrushers for the long head. [/quote]

[quote]DH wrote:
Actually, dips for total activation of all 3 heads. Skullcrushers done on a slight decline (say a 6 inch block under one end or the equivalent) will also hit all three heads with a particularly glorious focus on the long head.

DH

esk221 wrote:
Dips for the short head, skullcrushers for the long head.

[/quote]

Parallel Bar Tricep Dips murder the shoulders and in some cases the elbows… And traditional skullcrushers murder… “just” the elbows/tri tendons.

I’d choose neither, in all honesty :wink:
Too many great alternatives out there with fairly low injury-risk.

(but to each his own, of course)

I generally don’t get fish burps from Flameout as long as I take them just before eating. I mean before a single bite of food or sip of shake goes into my mouth.

And I never get burps or smell issues using a quality liquid fish oil once again right before eating. These liquids are also cheaper per serving, last I checked. (But never, EVER try to travel with liquid. And be super careful not to let any drip in your refrigerator or freezer; it will oxidize into a film that never comes off. The oxidation into a film is the same film-forming process of traditional paints and varnishes. So I put the bottle inside a washable glass container to catch any dripping.)

You’ve been on a bodybuilding site for years but can’t figure skullcrushers vs dips?

CC, could you share the alternative to dips you’re hinting at?

Speaking for myself, my body hates skullcrushers but is fine with dips. Overall, though, I prefer close grip (tris) and incline bench (chest).

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

On a side note, I did order a couple of the Curcumin, so I’m very curious to see how it works with the Flameout.

S
[/quote]

I am also curious about the Curcumin 500. I regularly cook my eggs with turmeric, the natural source of Curcumin. It is so yellow, though, I am afraid of the dental rammifications of cooking with such a powerfully yellow spice. :frowning:

Plate loaded seated dip machine is great and of course CGBP. I do like some direct long head work though for added emphasis. sometimes doing them one armed with a cable machine is better as you can torque your body and shift the tension while minimizing elbow wear. I also like 1 arm DB shoulder presses for this same reason. A little experienced body-english goes a long way in keeping a movement viable.

DH

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
DH wrote:

DH

esk221 wrote:
Dips for the short head, skullcrushers for the long head.

Parallel Bar Tricep Dips murder the shoulders and in some cases the elbows… And traditional skullcrushers murder… “just” the elbows/tri tendons.

I’d choose neither, in all honesty :wink:
Too many great alternatives out there with fairly low injury-risk.

(but to each his own, of course)

[/quote]

lol whats the big deal if im asking dips vs. skullcrushers? even if i’ve been on here for years?

DH i’ve been doing skullcrushers on BBB but was wondering if I should do dips instead…I had have incline presses, CGBP, DB military press, standing BB military press, and bench press lol.
What do you think would benefit triceps strength and development more for that last exercise?
Even though I know my tri’s are getting hit in every other exercise.
Thanks.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
lol whats the big deal if im asking dips vs. skullcrushers? even if i’ve been on here for years?

DH i’ve been doing skullcrushers on BBB but was wondering if I should do dips instead…I had have incline presses, CGBP, DB military press, standing BB military press, and bench press lol.
What do you think would benefit triceps strength and development more for that last exercise?
Thanks.[/quote]

If you are already hitting all those pressing exercises, then skullcrushers would be better. Basically dips would go interchangibly in a plan for CGBP (or maybe shoulder press)

thanks dan! ill keep the skulls in.

PJR’s > Dips AND skullcrushers

[quote]G87 wrote:
You’ve been on a bodybuilding site for years but can’t figure skullcrushers vs dips?

CC, could you share the alternative to dips you’re hinting at?

Speaking for myself, my body hates skullcrushers but is fine with dips. Overall, though, I prefer close grip (tris) and incline bench (chest).[/quote]

If you have a decent smith machine, use it for tricep training… Seriously. Especially on BBB where you train shoulders before triceps.

In the smith:

-In-Human Presses
-Wide-RGB (“special” grip)

You can press towards your feet (or try to) as well as up on both of these. Helps a lot with taking stress off the shoulders and really doing the long head of the tris in.
Setup (except grip style and width) is standard pl bench setup, sort of.

-HS Dip machine… I don’t have one, but so many guys swear by this thing. I’m still not a fan of dips though.

-Free-weight CGP, elbows tucked all the way, (suicide)-grip as wide as necessary for full tuck. I’m stronger on that one than on the regular bench press. PL setup.
Not good after shoulder work though, numbers will suffer too much.
So if doing them after shoulder work (say, on BBB), I’d use a board to take out the bottom (shoulder) part of ROM. Can be a fairly thick board, you’ll have to experiment…

Skullcrusher alternatives:

-Pjr pullover+extensions (stop with upper arms at an incline) ← If done right, those totally murder the long head… One of the few exercises that still give me DOMs every time I do it. Don’t do it like a lat-pullover, setup-wise though. No elbow issues here, but guys with small hands might want to use 2 DB’s instead…

-“dead skulls” ← EZ extensions on the floor/bench where you bring the bar down behind your head and let it rest on the bench or floor(in case of the latter, don’t use the 45 lb plates here! too little ROM.) briefly and then bring it back up (stop with upper arms at an incline).

-DB rolling extensions. Watch maraudermeat/christopher drummond do them on youtube (“rawelite” profile)

-Scott Extensions/Face-away extensions/lean-away extensions… Either standing and lunging forward or on your knees with elbows on a bench or some such. Used to be a fav. of the barbarian brothers, for example.

/hijack

[quote]rasturai wrote:
thanks dan! ill keep the skulls in.[/quote]

Dude, BBB is hard enough on the joints/tendons… You don’t really need to make it worse due to “bad” exercise selection :wink:

(ruin your tendons now and you’ll have to deal with that shit for the rest of your life)

C_C, thanks a lot for the information, I should really read your training thread properly, I could probably learn a lot as far as safety goes. Now I’m all psyched about trying these new lifts :).

Rastural, wasn’t really a swipe at you. I’m just surprised that a person who’s been working out for so long hasn’t experimented enough with 2 very common exercises to figure out which works better.

That’s alright G87, I actually never worked my tri’s with either exercise much before…I havent been lifting for that many years. The frist time I joined this site I didn’t even workout much lol. And I took a bit over a year off of lifting to do mauy thai seriously. I have about 2 years solid of training with weights.
The others are iffy/no weights just conditioning.

THANKS a lot CC. So I should probably take those skullcrushers out then!
I’ll use one of your other exercises, but like I said in the BBB thread I have no access to other machines etc. nothing only adjustable DB’s and a Barbell.

So I haven’t had any elbow issues or anything yet and I’m in week 3, everythin feels good just a little tightness in the hip left side which just needs to be stretched out.
I’ll consider one of the varitions you posted and switch that into the routine ASAP. Thanks C_C!

If you are punishing the tris with that much direct pressing work then I’d for sure rotate in DECLINE skullcrushers, cable rope french press, and/or elbows flared tricep pressdowns with compound work like dips and CGBP. You can either go by “feel” and see how your elbows are holding up, or do a compound one day, then a more isolated move like the list above on the next session, or take note on what you do for chest and shoulders. By that I mean if you do some machine laterals for your primary deltoid move on a certain day, then that would be an excellent spot to put dips or CGBP since triceps are not involved in various delt raises.

Dips will activate the long head well. Close Grips aren’t so good at that. The long head has the real mass potential so adding in any of the above exercises will ensure that you are getting a good focus on this important aspect to overall arm size.

But if elbows give you grief then drop skulls.

DH

Also, doing close grips on a slight to moderate decline will help activate the long head since it is attached to the scapula. By putting yourself in a decline, you force the long head to work in concert with the lats to keep the weight in position.

[quote]rasturai wrote:

Thanks.[/quote]

damn DH your smart lol as you know im in mt 3rd week of the ramp. I have no elbow issues…I actually RARELY get elbow issues
So I’m doing close grip bench press 2x a week for triceps, and on one tricep day I’m doing skullcrushers, and then everythin else is just reg bench/incline bench/military press/db military press for pressing movements.

So DH do you think it’d be better if I take ONE close grip bench press day out…cause I’m doin that 2x a week for tri’s and like I said before skullcrush for the other day.
And do close grip bench press, dips, and then skulls on decline?
Oh and you recommend me doing my close grips on a decline as well right?
Thanks for the help DH!

Well there are a number of ways to do this. It begins to come down to results and individuality.

What do I mean?

Well, on one hand its a good idea to use heavy compounds to be able to progressively increase load best. On the other hand, there are differing morphologies among people which make some “great” exercises totally suck and some “pansy” exercises a necessity to actually put growth where you want it.

Often people speak in broad generalities that are for the most part true. But there is the element of individuality for each person.

that being said, I think using a compound movement for triceps at one session, then a more targeted move the next session will work well. Strength increases shouldnt’ be compromised on the compound move since you will still hit it at least once every 5 days and most of the time a bit sooner.

Now, if you can use decline CGBP and find that it hits your long head well, or if you feel it from dips then you may well be advised to ony add a skull variation or cable overhead extension work on weeks where you do 4-5 sets per bodypart and use 1-2 sets of direct “isolated” long head work after 3 sets of the compound movement.

There are many possibilities. But the easiest way is the simplest way. So see if dips and CGBP on a decline (say 15-25 degrees) kicks in the DOMS on the long head. If so then carry on with those and dips. Or for a break on the joints from the compound work, throw in some isolation work every other session or as the last set of 4-5 total sets.

Clear as a bucket of mud, right?

DH

[quote]dankid wrote:
IMO 30g of fish oil is way too much and not necessary. For almost everyone, 3-12g a day will do the trick. [/quote]

It depends what your goals are, 30 g a day when cutting down works great. I’m adding mass now and still taking 20 a day.

[quote]hardcoreraymond wrote:
dankid wrote:
IMO 30g of fish oil is way too much and not necessary. For almost everyone, 3-12g a day will do the trick.

It depends what your goals are, 30 g a day when cutting down works great. I’m adding mass now and still taking 20 a day.[/quote]

It’s not just the total grams per day; but the DHA/EPA concentration/ratio that should be considered. Compare the DHA contained in four Flameout caps (4.625g fat-2,200mg DHA-880mg EPA) with what you are currently using!
For the record: I do not use Flameout; but am an advocate for fish oil caps.