T Nation

2 Questions: Caffeine and Carbs

I have had a few things nagging the back of my mind for a while.

• Every weekday morning, i have a 200mg caffiene pill, then eat a bigass breakfast and hike to work 20 minutes. Is this too much stimulants? I never get below 8 hours of rest and my overall calories intake is sufficient.

• what about little - no carbs on off days? like say i lift 4 days a week, those other 3 could i eat under 100g carbs a day? how bad would this affect my progress? looking to hover around 205lbs 5"10 for a while

200mg of caffeine won’t kill you.

about the carbs… lowering them on off days will somewhat slow muscle growth, but it will also keep some unnecessary fat in check. since it looks like you want to maintain, cutting carbs on off days shouldn’t be a problem.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
I have had a few things nagging the back of my mind for a while.

• Every weekday morning, i have a 200mg caffiene pill, then eat a bigass breakfast and hike to work 20 minutes. Is this too much stimulants? I never get below 8 hours of rest and my overall calories intake is sufficient.

• what about little - no carbs on off days? like say i lift 4 days a week, those other 3 could i eat under 100g carbs a day? how bad would this affect my progress? looking to hover around 205lbs 5"10 for a while[/quote]

Sounds pretty much like Carb cycling…I think that is okay.

There is almost 200 mg in a double shot of expresso. I probably wouldn’t take any more than that, or combine it with HOT-ROX. But 200 by itself should be fine.

the caffeine won’t kill yea (x2)

dropping carbs on off days isn’t a bad idea. I did that when bulking when I noticed a bit too much ‘fluff’ and was able to remain a bit leaner that way. Just keep the total calories up and you won’t be hurt too badly from it.

Under 100g carbs isn’t something to worry about. If anything, as long as you’re getting enough cals (prot and healthy fats), you should be able to keep gaining with minimal fat accumulation.

S

alright thanks guys.