T Nation

2 Plate Bench, 3 Plate Squat, and 4 Plate Deadlift by 2019

And some steaks potatoes eggs Real foid

2 Likes

wait what? I usually agree with you, but you really think he needs to weigh 185-195 to bench 2 plates at his height? I’m the same height, just over 190 lbs and I’m chasing a 4 plate bench. I think I hit all the milestones he has listed at under 170 lbs bodyweight. I know I hit a 2 plate bench under 160 lbs bodyweight. Obviously gaining bodyweight can make things easier, but it certainly isn’t necessary.

2 Likes

I think you hit it on the head. He doesn’t have to gain weight, but if he learns to eat properly and adds some muscle his goals will be a lot easier. Anyway, who wants to hit 2, 3, 4 but look like pee wee Herman !!!

1 Like

those numbers really don’t require a whole lot of muscularity to hit. To be quite frank, if he’s weighing anything close to 195+, and he ‘only’ has a 225 bench press max, then he’ll be carrying quite a bit of fat. At that bodyweight, I think a good solid bench press is more like 3 plates.

1 Like

Need to, no - but it’ll make it a lot easier. I’m just going based on what I’ve seen, which is most guys our height (I think I’m an inch shorter than you at 5 9’) seem to do better once they go over 180 lbs. You’re absolutely right that he could hit all those at a lighter weight, it just may be harder.

2 Likes

gotcha. you used the word ‘need’ in your post, that’s why I took issue. Sounds like we’re actually in agreement!

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not always good at not sounding moderately dumb.

2 Likes

Lol whereas I can do that with ease!!

2 Likes

Agree the numbers may not need more muscle to hit. But it is still sound advice and who doesn’t want to add more muscle.

1 Like

February 11th

Squat = 67 kgs x 6,5,5 (yay a pr of 5 pounds)-was pretty fucking controlled too which was awesome
Paused overhead press = FORGOT that it was paused so did strict ohp = 78 pounds × 6,4,5. Too bad today is Sunday so I can’t redo it. Used a lot more upper back than usual.
Weighted chinups = Tried adding 9.5 kgs, did not go well, did one strict rep and two shit reps. I cut the weight down to 3.5 kgs which went well. 3.5kgs x 4,3. So a pr of a kilo.
Close grip bench press = 45 kilos x 7,6,6. Cut down the rest periods by 30 seconds each set. Left wrist hurts like hell. Right wrist is a okay.
Deadlift = 80 kgs x 5. Was having trouble with lower back pain during deadlift I changed my form and I stopped having lower back pain. Now.I only feel stress on the legs, lats and shoulders. I can’t sense any stress on my.upper back.So it looks like I exchanged one problem for another.

Just found out that the strongest guy in the gym can only squat 120 kilos half of you guys can probably squat 160+. Hes a state ranked bodybuilder.

2 Likes

Peasants thats who. All aboard the train to gainzville

1 Like

well, my point was not that he doesn’t want/need more muscle. My point was if he’s ONLY hitting a 2 plate bench at 190 lbs, he will have added a LOT more fat than muscle, which is undesirable.

This stuff will work itself out though. As long as he stays lean, the fact is he will hit those goals at a much lower bodyweight, and if he reaches a lean 190, he’ll be lifting much more. I just didn’t want the OP to think he NEEDS to pile on that much bodyweight for such modest goals.

4 Likes

Fair enough, I think we were saying the same things from a different angle. staying lean, adding muscle and getting strong is the right way to go.

yea exactly. My concern was that I didn’t want the OP to think he had to put on more bodyweight than he really needs to in order to reach his goals. That sounds like a direct path to fatness, lol. Unless a person is VERY new to lifting, adding 30ish pounds of bodyweight in a year will generally result in too much fat gain. There are exceptions, but I doubt this is one. But yes, we definitely agree with the basic premise.

At my age this is sadly oh too true !!!

Same here, lost about 15 kg over a year, lost some strength.
Now gained 5 kg over about 8-9 months, but it definitely isn’t muscles all of it, if any.

OP -

I weight 168 currently and I can bench 2 plates, squat 3 plates, and deadlift 4 plates.

Eat well and train hard. Those shouldn’t be crazy numbers to hit.

4 Likes

Yeah these definItaly aren’t crazy numbers to hit, seeing as I have a year

Feb 13 workout
Squat = 70 kgs x 6,5,5 first set went okay the rest of the sets did not go well. During the entire time before I went to the gym I only consumed around 30 grams of protein. That might have had something to do with it. Slight lower back pain cause of the shitty reps. Will go again tomorrow morning fully rested and try it again.
Paused bench = 51 kgs × 8,6,5. Around 3 reps of the last set were not paused.
Pendlay row = 60 kgs x 6,5,5,5. Was easy peasy
Preacher curl = 27 kgs x 10,10,6. So a relatively easy pr of 5 total reps. Might bump the weight up next session.
Overhead dumbbell Tricep extensions = 5 kilos x 10,10,8. Was also easy, might use the 7.5s next session.
Stiff leg deadlift = the gym owner said the gym twas going to close in the middle of my warmup. Fucking prick. So i did not do it. Will do the rest of my workout tomorrow.

Getting pissed off at myself for not following the routine properly.

1 Like

For this old guy here it is :slight_smile: and I think I’m busting my ass off.

3 Likes