2 Min. Exercise Motivation Survey for Psych Class

Hi!
I am enrolled in a Research Methods in Psychology Class, and a semester-long assignment of ours is to draft a research topic, create an experiment to gather results, analyze said results, and create a slick presentation to show the rest of my class what we discovered.

My survey seeks to find one’s initial motivating factor for one’s entry into exercise/training, and whether or not that changes over time.

I am aiming for at least 100 completed surveys with 50% and 50% female. I am also posting this in other fitness-oriented websites.

Feel free to answer in a quote, copy/paste, or even just 1/2/3…

1. Please indicate your age range
    18 â?? 30 31 â?? 40 41 â?? 50 51 â?? 60 61 â?? 70+

2. Please indicate your gender
    Male Female

3. On average, how many days a week do you exercise?
    1 day 2 â?? 3 days 4 â?? 5 days 6 â?? 7 days

4. How long have you been regularly exercising for?
    1 year 2 â?? 4 years 5 â?? 8 years 9+ years

5. How old were you when you first started regularly exercising?

6. What do you feel was the single greatest reason you started regularly exercising?

7. Do you feel that the original reason you started exercising for is the same reason you continue to exercise today? If not, what do you feel is your current reason for exercising?

By submitting a survey response in this board, you consent to me using this information in my Research Methods Class at the College of the Sequoias.

Thank you for taking the time to read through and complete my survey, if you have any questions about any of my questions please ask!

What about people who don’t identify as male or female? This test reinforces the binary system of cisgender supremacism which is merely a social construct designed to prop up the patriarchal systems of oppression and domination of women and differently gendered entities.

1. I am 34.

2. Male

3. 4

4. 18 months “exercising”, 13 months “training”.

5. 33

6. Improve health and appearance, lower risk of early death

7. Yes, the basic reasons remain the same.

1. 46
  2. male
  3. 6
  4. 9+
  5. 35
  6. improve health and quality of life
  7. I have since become involved in powerlifting, so I train for strength gains as much as for health now, but health / quality of life is still a priority.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
What about people who don’t identify as male or female? This test reinforces the binary system of cisgender supremacism which is merely a social construct designed to prop up the patriarchal systems of oppression and domination of women and differently gendered entities.[/quote]

When my professor returned my survey draft to me, he had marked out my option of “Prefer not to say” for that question.
Going into the assignment, I had every intention of trying to be less exclusive, but the man put me down.
I realize that “prefer not to say” is not as inclusive an option as listing all the myriad of possible gender identities out there, by the way.
Thank you for recognizing the genderism enforced by our society, and I wish you luck in continuing to fight the oppression!

[quote]HalloweenJesus wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
What about people who don’t identify as male or female? This test reinforces the binary system of cisgender supremacism which is merely a social construct designed to prop up the patriarchal systems of oppression and domination of women and differently gendered entities.[/quote]

When my professor returned my survey draft to me, he had marked out my option of “Prefer not to say” for that question.
Going into the assignment, I had every intention of trying to be less exclusive, but the man put me down.
I realize that “prefer not to say” is not as inclusive an option as listing all the myriad of possible gender identities out there, by the way.
Thank you for recognizing the genderism enforced by our society, and I wish you luck in continuing to fight the oppression![/quote]

Lol! I was just joking. Satire doesn’t translate too well in text. It’s called “Poe’s Law”

“Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.”

Male

9+

6. What do you feel was the single greatest reason you started regularly exercising?
    To get stronger

7. Do you feel that the original reason you started exercising for is the same reason you continue to exercise today? If not, what do you feel is your current reason for exercising?
    Same reason, just more specific. Been lusting after an 800lb deadlift ever since I hit 600lbs, and trying to become better at strongman and powerlifting.

Male

5 on normal weeks, less on exceptionally busy weeks.

6 years

Difficult to articulate concisely. To be “tough” is probably closest, to be able to look after myself. Not in a violent sense, just in an all-round sense.

It’s still the main reason, although health and looks play a bigger role now. And just the enjoyment of exercise and the habit of it all.

31 â?? 40

Male

4 â?? 5 days

9+ years

Football. Primarily because 1)I needed to get bigger and 2) lifting weights was what the big kids on varsity did, and I wanted to be like them

No, I no longer compete in football. In brief, it’s just part of who I am.
    A bit of a longer answer would be while I do still compete (in strongman), it’s a bit of a “chicken and the egg” question of whether I train because I’m competing, or if I compete to give shape to my training. I’d miss it if I stopped, the physical benefits of being in somewhat better shape (physique and health-wise) than the average desk jockey, but just as important is the mental health of striving for a goal, having a few hours each week where I’m not worrying about anything more complicated than pushing myself

1. 46 years
  2. male
  3. 7 days a week
  4. 9+
  5. 20 years
  6. health & performance
  7. main reasons haven’t changed, some years more emphasis on performance, other years on health. This was not age related but more study and work related.
    18 - 30 (I’m 26)

Male

6 - 7 days

5 - 8 years

An insatiable, innate desire to become physically more powerful

Absolutely

By submitting a survey response in this board, you consent to me using this information in my Research Methods Class at the College of the Sequoias.
signed - csulli

Thank you for taking the time to read through and complete my survey
You are most welcome

Also, good luck finding 50 chicks for this

Male

25 years

I started lifting when I was a kid because I respected strength and wanted to be strong myself.

I mostly keep exercising because it is emotionally and mentally “cleansing”; after a day at the office weight training or conditioning clears my head.

A few weeks shy of 40

Male

Depends. I “exercise” daily. I lift weights twice a week

28 years. I have had a some “deload” months in those 28 years…you know, life stuff happened. <excuse.

Football

No.
    I exercise now because it is what I have to do to be “right”. If I go for an extended period of time without exercise I become “off” I’m just not right, I don’t feel right, my attitude changes, my outlook changes, everything suffers a negative consequence (albeit a possible small negative consequence, but one nonetheless). Exercise and being active is very important in my life to keep me firing at 100% efficiency. I truly believe that it is that way for all humans. If you are not regularly exercising you are not at 100% efficiency. There are other factors involved as well, but exercise is one of them

[quote]mbdix wrote:
I exercise now because it is what I have to do to be “right”. If I go for an extended period of time without exercise I become “off” I’m just not right, I don’t feel right, my attitude changes, my outlook changes, everything suffers a negative consequence (albeit a possible small negative consequence, but one nonetheless). Exercise and being active is very important in my life to keep me firing at 100% efficiency. I truly believe that it is that way for all humans. If you are not regularly exercising you are not at 100% efficiency. There are other factors involved as well, but exercise is one of them

[/quote]

I feel this way too.

I think motivation is overrated.

How much do I need to psyche myself up i the morning to go to work? None. The alarm goes off, i wish I could sleep more, but i get up and feel no resentment but also no need for cheap bromides to “take on the world” or some cheesy stuff like that.

The same with the gym. I just go to it.

Before I go to work too.

[quote]Nards wrote:

How much do I need to psyche myself up i the morning to go to work? None. The alarm goes off, i wish I could sleep more, but i get up and feel no resentment but also no need for cheap bromides to “take on the world” or some cheesy stuff like that.

Before I go to work too.[/quote]

Motivation?

Well you’ll work harder with a gun in your back for a bowl of rice a day, slave for soldiers till you starve then your head is skewered on a stake.

[quote]HalloweenJesus wrote:
Hi!
I am enrolled in a Research Methods in Psychology Class, and a semester-long assignment of ours is to draft a research topic, create an experiment to gather results, analyze said results, and create a slick presentation to show the rest of my class what we discovered.

My survey seeks to find one’s initial motivating factor for one’s entry into exercise/training, and whether or not that changes over time.

I am aiming for at least 100 completed surveys with 50% and 50% female. I am also posting this in other fitness-oriented websites.

Feel free to answer in a quote, copy/paste, or even just 1/2/3…

18 â?? 30 31 â?? 40 41 â?? 50 51 â?? 60 61 â?? 70+

41-50

1. Please indicate your gender
    Male Female

Female

1. On average, how many days a week do you exercise?
    1 day 2 â?? 3 days 4 â?? 5 days 6 â?? 7 days

4-5

1. How long have you been regularly exercising for?
    1 year 2 â?? 4 years 5 â?? 8 years 9+ years

9+

1. How old were you when you first started regularly exercising?

Sustained daily cardio, probably 15, though nothing formal at that time.

1. What do you feel was the single greatest reason you started regularly exercising?

I don’t know/can’t remember, but I think that’s because there wasn’t one single, defined reason; it’s just something I need to do.

1. Do you feel that the original reason you started exercising for is the same reason you continue to exercise today? If not, what do you feel is your current reason for exercising?

Yes, same. Just something I need to do, along with vanity. At this point I recognize it as the fountain of youth, but that’s just a surprise benefit.

Thank you for taking the time to read through and complete my survey, if you have any questions about any of my questions please ask![/quote]

Male

2+ years

To become the best firefighter I can be

Most definitely. My main motivation is goal of being a firefighter/medic. So, being bigger/stronger/faster will obviously be advantageous. However, I do not want to bigger/stronger/faster simply for the sake of such. It is a means to an end, not an ends in and of itself.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

Before I go to work too.[/quote]

Motivation?

Well you’ll work harder with a gun in your back for a bowl of rice a day, slave for soldiers till you starve then your head is skewered on a stake.

non sequitur