2 Miles in 16 Minutes

Wow, there is a ton of great information on this posting. You are going to have to find things, and just like lifting, go with what works for you. Dont expect it to come quick. People will say a month or two but that is not always the case. Running is moreso mental than anything.

As a former Army Special Operations Soldier, I can attest to this. My run was always my weakest event. 2 Miles in 14:15 and 4 Miles in 34:50. Not great, Not bad but good enough. My biggest problem was breathing, biggest problem ended up being total conditioning. Imagine that. I actually bought a conditioning mask wich I use for Brisk Walks, Jogging and cycling still to this day. Worked a lot.

Footware, keep that in check. I was rotating 3 pair of Mizuno and Nike Free Runs every Seven days. To me it seemes to help keep total balance within my feet striking the pavement.

Ok, Officers run ALOT. I know many O3’s, O4’s, Etc that run in excess of 12 Miles a day and those 1SG’s and SGM’s that keep up.
I will be attending school for Nursing shortly and Will return to active Duty.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY & NIGHT STALKERS DON’T QUIT
Godspeed,

After just a week, I can tell I’m getting a lot better at it and figuring some things out. I think I’m mostly making improvements in my running form, how to breathe, and building my feet, ankles, and calves. I’m still having some trouble staying loose. After all the powerlifting, my body wants to be tight and restrictive because it still thinks running is going to crush me like a heavy weight. But it’s getting better. My chest is starting to get looser so I can take deeper breaths too. It’s probably a little too early to know what my running weakness(es) are.

I’ve learned it’s not a good idea at all to run right before doing heavy legs, but it has no effect on my upper body training. It’s like my legs and torso gets confused from first telling it to stay loose and not fire every muscle at once, then telling it to do the opposite for heavy weights. It’s not even so much a I feel so tired and sore kind of thing.

I’m jogging at least a mile a day except for one day a week for rest so I can improve my running form faster, and 1 day is a 15 minute run interval style to work on speed so far up to 7.5mph for a couple minutes at a time followed by 4.5 for a couple, one is long distance like 30 minutes of running so far at only 4.5-5mph, and the last is a straight 20 minute run trying to get the best milage I can while not destroying my ability to recover from the weights. The last one is at about 5-5.5mph. None of these runs have me coughing up a lung or going way beyond where I couldn’t keep a conversation so I think if I had to I could push the mph higher.

I was thinking of progressing the first run by reducing rest/increasing fast pace, the second by increasing mileage, and the 3rd like the second.

I’m doing most runs on the treadmill, but at least once a week I hit the pavement. When I’m on the treadmill, I put it at a slight incline since I realize it does some of the work for me.

I really need to keep a log so I’ll start doing that.

Recovery for PL has been unaffected so far. I hope it stays that way. Mostly I hate how hard and boring it is lol.

If I get the job in the Army and my recruiter thinks my chances are good, I’ll start training in early November. Wish me luck!

Sounds like you pretty much have it on lock. Army Med is the way to go. Another 3 years and Ill be there myself. So very tired of enlisted life. Even at a USASOC level. If you plan on making it a career I would look into 160TH. Great group with great benefits. You never forget your roots.

RLTW & NSDQ

-Vince

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
After just a week, I can tell I’m getting a lot better at it and figuring some things out. I think I’m mostly making improvements in my running form, how to breathe, and building my feet, ankles, and calves. I’m still having some trouble staying loose. After all the powerlifting, my body wants to be tight and restrictive because it still thinks running is going to crush me like a heavy weight. But it’s getting better. My chest is starting to get looser so I can take deeper breaths too. It’s probably a little too early to know what my running weakness(es) are.

I’ve learned it’s not a good idea at all to run right before doing heavy legs, but it has no effect on my upper body training. It’s like my legs and torso gets confused from first telling it to stay loose and not fire every muscle at once, then telling it to do the opposite for heavy weights. It’s not even so much a I feel so tired and sore kind of thing.

I’m jogging at least a mile a day except for one day a week for rest so I can improve my running form faster, and 1 day is a 15 minute run interval style to work on speed so far up to 7.5mph for a couple minutes at a time followed by 4.5 for a couple, one is long distance like 30 minutes of running so far at only 4.5-5mph, and the last is a straight 20 minute run trying to get the best milage I can while not destroying my ability to recover from the weights. The last one is at about 5-5.5mph. None of these runs have me coughing up a lung or going way beyond where I couldn’t keep a conversation so I think if I had to I could push the mph higher.

I was thinking of progressing the first run by reducing rest/increasing fast pace, the second by increasing mileage, and the 3rd like the second.

I’m doing most runs on the treadmill, but at least once a week I hit the pavement. When I’m on the treadmill, I put it at a slight incline since I realize it does some of the work for me.

I really need to keep a log so I’ll start doing that.

Recovery for PL has been unaffected so far. I hope it stays that way. Mostly I hate how hard and boring it is lol.

If I get the job in the Army and my recruiter thinks my chances are good, I’ll start training in early November. Wish me luck![/quote]

I laughed when I read the part about running before you heavy leg training. Serving two master is a hard thing to do. Get your leg training in first (see my previous post) then do your road work. I feel your chance of injury is increased when you hit the gym after your run as opposed to vise versa.

In all, you are doing well. Keep up the good work!

I have a little experience doing heavy weight training and running at the same time. I over did it, and created some muscular imbalances that lead to injury, but if you keep the distance under 5 miles you should be good.

I was running twice a week and lifting four times a week on 5/3/1, doing one “speed” day (between 3 and 5 miles for time) and one “distance” day (5-11 miles at a steady pace). It still took me a good two months for any issues to manifest. I weighed around 190 at the time and ran 2 miles in around 14 minutes.

Hmm… I’m already experiencing some tightness, weakness, and the bad kind of soreness in my left ankle. I’ve been rolling it out with a golf ball for my feet and ankles and foam roller for my lower leg, doing some stretches and mobility for it, and some tractioning and its starting to feel better. It seems like my conditioning is increasing at a rate faster than my joints can keep up with…

Any suggestions on how to build the joints up or is it just going to happen slower than everything else?

From what I understand, connective tissue improves much slower than muscular tissue (strength-wise). I think the best option is to keep foam-rolling/stretching, and to ensure you’re getting proper rest and nutrition.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Hmm… I’m already experiencing some tightness, weakness, and the bad kind of soreness in my left ankle. I’ve been rolling it out with a golf ball for my feet and ankles and foam roller for my lower leg, doing some stretches and mobility for it, and some tractioning and its starting to feel better. It seems like my conditioning is increasing at a rate faster than my joints can keep up with…

Any suggestions on how to build the joints up or is it just going to happen slower than everything else?[/quote]

Rest and Ice. Also if your new to running regularly and you did decide to go with a minimalist shoe it will probably take you a little longer to adjust.

I do more running than I want to, I could give you a training guide I use but it’d be an overkill. It seems like you’re trying to keep too fast of a pace for too long of a distance. You shouldn’t be worried about distances right now, build up a running base. Once you get more comfortable running then worry about your pace. If you go out and run everyday the results will come.

I’m airborne infantry and need to be able to run 1.5 miles in under 9 mins (or less if I want to avoid getting it tight from the rest of the boys)

I also lift. They way I train is much like what is suggested above. I do shorter 3 mile fartlek sessions, hill sprints and the occasional longer run (5 or 6 miles). I also trained for a half marathon this way but increased my longer run up to 7 or 8 miles.

I’ve been doing this with great results and it’s low milage:

http://tampatriteam.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/furman-1st-5k-program.pdf

The best way to better your run time is to do interval training. Sprint in bursts for a certain amount of time, then walk for a few seconds before sprinting again. Eventually long distance running will be a breeze.

I am in the Army, and we are required to run 2 miles for Physical Training tests. Trust me, sprints will help.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Any suggestions on how to build the joints up or is it just going to happen slower than everything else?[/quote]

Mentally, I had to adjust my running technique. I believe running isn’t an innate skill and had to learn to run. Especially if your doing it in minimalist shoes. The idea of the thin shoes makes sense, but then you need to learn to run smooth, and light. Your legs need to act like the suspension on a car.

A friend of mine who did a lot of cross country (and weighed more than me) told me 2 things to keep note:

1. If you hear your feet hitting the ground, you’re wrong. Your footsteps shouldn’t sound louder than your relaxed breathing.
  2. Stay relaxed and smooth, on the fore of your foot, stay off your heel, and always keep your legs semi-flexed. Your head should be able to track as a straight line if someone were to follow you running from the side. The more you bounce up and down, the more wasted energy, the more shock on your joints.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
I concur with what sjhutc says above. I’m former military and running a 16min 2/mile will only take you a month or 2 to get if you follow the plan he outlined above. I’d even suggest 2 “fartlek” days as he calls them, which is essentially extended intervals.

I had a quest to hit 4 miles in under 30 minutes, and this is how I accomplished it while lifting 4 days/week.

1. One minute hard sprint, one minute slow jog for 6-8 times

2. two minute hard sprint, two minute slow jog for 4-6 times

3. hard as I can 20-30 minute run.

Similar to what he said above. I went from a 36 min 4 mile to sub-28 minute 4 mile in 2 months. I also ran just above a 12 minute two-mile using a similar approach.

Good luck[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more… intervals are the way to go. I went from never running more than a 5k to running my 1st half-marathon in less than 6 weeks. I did high intensity intervals everyday, one medium length run during the week, and one long run on the weekend. I finished with a time of 1h 48m, which ain’t bad for a first timer with 6 weeks notice. Good luck man.

I just wrecked a hamstring doing too much interval so now I’m forced to LISS for a flew weeks.

What are your squat/bench/dead numbers if you don’t mind me asking?

I feel your pain man, I’m in the Army and running while trying to get bigger is a pain! Especially when you have a squad leader who doesn’t know shit about fitness but preaches his opinion like its the Gospel. But hey, in the Army once you’re an E6 you know everything there is to know about life.

/rant

Anyways, the fastest I’ve ever ran a 2 mile in was 14:24 @210lbs. And I was hauling ass… it’s a tough balance man. Biggest thing (if you can, I can’t decide what days I run / sprint) is to do active recovery to balance the two together. It is very possible though, the human body can do a lot (within reason).

As far as how to IMPROVE your running, for me; 60 / 120’s have always been more helpful than long distance running. Run hard / not 100% sprint for a minute. walk / jog for two minutes. Just advice though, I’m no endurance expert and certainly not a strength expert (yet)