T Nation

2 lifts a day?

Hi all -

I was wondering if any one runs two core lifts using 531 ?
For example:
Day one would be squats and incline 5/3/1
Day two would be deadlifts and overhead 5/3/1
Day three would be full on assistance work...db bench , pulldowns, curls, leg pressing etc.

The only thing is I would probably have to dial down the intensity .. Maybe no back off sets and just go balls out for max reps on two lifts per cycle...but I don't like having to dial down intensity loll

With three days of intervals of some sort .
Stupid? Not stupid?

If you were going to do this, and I did something like this, is you have to dial back the VOLUME, not intensity.
I found that 5 PRO works very well. No jokers.

Assistance work has to be very well planned and should only be injury prevention.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
If you were going to do this, and I did something like this, is you have to dial back the VOLUME, not intensity.
I found that 5 PRO works very well. No jokers.

Assistance work has to be very well planned and should only be injury prevention. [/quote]

Right, so no back off sets or jokers to cut the volume down. And as far as going for max reps for the last set, how did you go about doing that? I was thinking of just going for balls out on let’s say incline and deadlifts for one cycle and keep the last set at 5 for the squat and press and next cycle do the opposite so on and so forth . Or should I just hammer away since volume is cut

As for assistance, I’m thinking of doing some bodyweight stuff after the main work (pushup, pullup, abs, lunges, etc.) and that third day just take a handful of exercises and just go light to get blood and heart rate going.
am I just doing too much ?

Thanks

A third day is pointless if there is no goal. If you are going to lift, make progress.
You can go for PR’s on 531 week but 99% of the time do 5’s PRO. Remember that going for a PR is much different than “get as many reps”. Big difference.