T Nation

2 Days/Week Workout

Hi guys! Been exploring this great site past couple of weeks and now I seek your guidance…

First off, I’m not a complete beginner, been training on and off over the past few years, now getting back into it. Due to a busy schedule I can only train 2 evenings a week, evenly spaced apart. And I was hoping for some input into how I can gain more effectively.

I already take protein supplements and fish oil daily.

Below’s my routine of last 3 weeks. Before that I was doing 1 arms day & 1 chest & back day. I’m just not sure how my body should be split and how I should vary it on a regular basis. Oh, I’m not doing legs at moment.

Workout A

3x7 Two-handed cable curl
3x7 Incline dumbbell curl
3x7 Two-handed overhead ‘muscle-pose’ curl

3x6 Pull-up
3x7 Seated lat-pulldown
3x7 Bent-over one-handed dumbbell pullup
4x8 Hyperextension
(Yeah I should incorporate squats and deadlifts…)

3x10 Dumbbell shrugs

Workout B

3x7 Seated barbell shoulder press
3x7 Seated dumbbell shoulder press
3x7 Lateral raise

3x7 Incline barbell benchpress
3x7 Decline barbell benchpress
3x7 Flat dumbbell press

3x7 Assisted dips
3x7 Cable pull-downs for triceps
3x10 Dumbbell shrugs

Nah… You should make them the BASE of you routine…

Build your workout around compound exercises and you can get rid of a lot of the repetitions that you are doing

For legs - squats/deadlifts
Back - pullups, rows, deadlifts
Chest - incline/flat presses

then look to add some isolations in after the fact.

[quote]mattnxtc wrote:
Build your workout around compound exercises and you can get rid of a lot of the repetitions that you are doing

For legs - squats/deadlifts
Back - pullups, rows, deadlifts
Chest - incline/flat presses

then look to add some isolations in after the fact. [/quote]

Yes I agree and work your legs. Two days BIG compounds lie above said prob best do full body or push pull. Then after doing those and DOING them think about the other stuff

a good example of two days

day 1= squat, Bench, BB rows

Day 2= DL, OH Press, chins

Bingo

Phill

You can use Rippetoe’s Starting Strength.

Workout A

3 x 5 Squat
3 x 5 Bench
1 x 5 Deadlift

Workout B

3 x 5 Squat
3 x 5 Standing Military Press
3 x 5 Power Clean

You can use this for several months before transitioning to another program.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
You can use Rippetoe’s Starting Strength.

Workout A

3 x 5 Squat
3 x 5 Bench
1 x 5 Deadlift

Workout B

3 x 5 Squat
3 x 5 Standing Military Press
3 x 5 Power Clean

You can use this for several months before transitioning to another program.[/quote]

I recommend this program. It works GREAT if you are a beginner (which is probably most people) and you eat enough. I was making great progress on this and had a setback (intestinal parasites for two months and lost almost 30 lbs) and am now making back what I lost relatively quickly.

5 deadlift reps? Even if I was right under my max I’d be able to do more in a few minutes.

Thanks for your suggestions.

So I should put more focus on squats and deadlifts, as it will work on core strength and help gain body weight faster.

It seems everyone wants me to get rid of most of my exercises in favour of muscles I haven’t really been focusing on (legs, butt, lower back)!

I won’t deny it, I want to look in the mirror and see bigger arms, delts, traps and chest. Yes, I can feel the wrath of those who only workout for strength not looks. The exercises I’ve been working on were based on what I have read in mags and articles over the years. Now I’m getting, replace all bicep exercises with just chin-ups, all chest with just bench presses, etc. Am I missing something?

I think I will work on deadlifts and squats at the start of every workout followed up by my former workout routine. What do you think that? What do you think of my former routine and how should I vary it?

[quote]gttommy wrote:

Now I’m getting, replace all bicep exercises with just chin-ups, all chest with just bench presses, etc. Am I missing something?

[/quote]

Your missing the fact that
using compound movements as a base will give greater gains than using isolation movements as a base…

[quote]djwhizkid wrote:
gttommy wrote:

Now I’m getting, replace all bicep exercises with just chin-ups, all chest with just bench presses, etc. Am I missing something?

Your missing the fact that
using compound movements as a base will give greater gains than using isolation movements as a base…[/quote]

Exactly your limited a LOT on time willing to devote you need to make it MONEY Big ass moves that hit everything. Build the whole body as a unified machine like it is

Phill

Today I just did the following. Note I incorporated squats, deadlifts followed by isolation movements. Is this what you guys mean?

3x7 Squat
2x5 Deadlift
3x7 Lat pullup
3x7 Bentover barbell row
3x7 Seated lat pulldown

3x6 Chinup
3x7 Incline dumbbell curl
3x7 Two-handed overhead ‘muscle-pose’ cable curl

Finished up with forearms and traps

========

As for chest work, you guys are not saying I should replace incline, decline & flat chest press for just one, right?

figure out your max on the squat. do enough weight to make you WORK. if i did 3x7 on squats at a reasonable work load (60-70%) NO WAY would i try and follow that up with deadlift. maybe RDLs…but probably go do bench or incline, pull ups then come back to RDLs.

the other workout day should start off with deadlifts. focus on getting these strong and the traps you want to see will show up for the party.

IF i was to go back to 2 days/week here’s what i would do:

Day 1
Squats 4x5 at 75-80%
Bench or Incline 4x5 at 75-80%
Chins 5x5 adding weight if need be
RDLs or Glute Ham Raise 4x5-6

Day2
Deadlift 4x5 at 75-80%
Dumbbell Bench or Incline 5x5
Bent Rows 5x5
Military 5x5

Use weight heavy enough to make you work. This workout is loosely based on a workout on saw in a magazine by Charles Staley. Also, don’t “incorporate” squats and deadlifts, they should be WHY you go to the gym. on deadlift day i am so STOKED to go workout. Volume is good, but as a beginner i think this might be better suited to progress.

oh yeah, and eat.

sb

[quote]Eickst wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

I recommend this program. It works GREAT if you are a beginner (which is probably most people) and you eat enough. I was making great progress on this and had a setback (intestinal parasites for two months and lost almost 30 lbs) and am now making back what I lost relatively quickly.

[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your intestinal parasites Eickst, hope your recovery is going well.

And yeah, I agree, it’s a great program for a beginner. There is no need to get on a fancy program, you just need to stick with the basics for a few months, then move to something else.