T Nation

2 Days / Pushing Conditioning

I am lifting twice a week and conditioning hard 4-5 days a week. This is to prepare myself for a career in the fire service.
This job requires you to have strong arms, back, legs, shoulders, grip. My assistance work addresses these needs.

Now my question is how would one run the 5/3/1 lifts considering the conditioning aspect is pretty fucking demanding?

I have been at this for 6 weeks one full cycle with a 2 day template and realized some shit;

1 - Cannot push top set. At least for all 4 core lifts. Not good considering the amount of conditioning being done.

So here it is -
day one -
squat / deadlift - 5/3/1 (alternate each week)
SLDL / squat - 5x10 (alternate each week)
leg press / leg curl - (alternate each week)
ab work - whatever

day two -
incline / clean and press 5/3/1 (alternate each week)
press / DB benching - 5x10 (alternate each week)
pull-ups - various rep and set schemes
barbell rows / kroc rows (alternate each week)
fat grip curls & dips.

as far as my main lifts go...i am thinking of getting the reps in all the way to the top set and have 2 "back off change ups" for example;

clean and press
70x3
80x3
90x3
80xmax reps - Press behind the neck
70xmax reps - Regular Press.

This way, I still get to possibly break rep records in previous cycles just in without destroying myself in the process.

i feel like this is just a mental jerking off type thing. or is it a solid plan. who the fuck knows. i dont ever ask the internet for help i just do it and see what happens. but opinions never hurt. unless you have a wrong opinion. (HA)

I’m not one to knock another’s routine, but it does feel like mental masturbation on your part

Are you saying you want to switch out the 5/3/1 to a 3s or 5s Progression, then use a backoff set to do the max reps and target a PR because you are having problems with the all out set at the higher weights now? That doesn’t seem so bad except for your two changes - switching the lift to some variation and using some random percetages, which seems to miss the point of Jim’s programming.

Plus, why 2 backoff sets with rep maxes if you can’t do the heavy one? Why not just do on FSL AMRAP on your main lift after your 5s Pro and move on…I think you are making this needlessly complex and pissing away good energy and recovery that could go towards getting stronger so you can jerk around on variety without purpose. Just my opinion…

you know - youre right. im fucking with this too much. Gotta keep it goddamn simple. Original 531. Hit the conditioning fucking hard. Im stupid

nah - you’re not stupid, if there are too many good looking girls in the room, sometimes you get distracted with all the flirting and forget to focus in and get laid.

#2 (in link) - Problem solved. Or try the Grey pubes template

One

Squat/Bench
Supplemental (only as needed)
Assistance

Two

Dead/Press
Assistance (only as needed)

This should be your basic template; if you are pushing the main work, supplemental goes down and vice versa. But no more than 3x5 of supplemental when really pushing conditioning. Don’t confuse complexity with superiority.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
One

Squat/Bench
Assistance

Two

Dead/Press
Assistance (only as needed)

This should be your basic template; if you are pushing the main work, supplemental goes down and vice versa. But no more than 3x5 of supplemental when really pushing conditioning. Don’t confuse complexity with superiority.
[/quote]

just to make sure here; you mean squat/bench, dead/press in the same day not alternate week to week

Being in the fire service, the sled/prowler is your friend. Drags, sprints, rope work with it, heavy pushes-all can mimic entrance test requirements.