2 Day/Week Routine for Upper Body Size

hey guys,

I don’t post in here but I was hoping you guys could be of some help.

I do olympic weightlifting three times a week, so I’ve got my lower body covered and have some nice development there, I would like to think!

My upper body is lagging though-in fact I’ve been told I look like a speed skater with my huge legs and average sized upper body, lol.

Right now I’ve added two upper body days a week on off days. Basically, building strength and size in my arms, chest, upper back, and shoulders are the main goals. I do pullups every time I lift, and my upper back gets a little work from the Olympic lifts too, but overall upper body is lagging way behind.

Any program suggestions? I’d really like to build scary powerful shoulders and upper back/lats, as well as some work for arms and chest. For some reason I suspect the ladies aren’t impressed by my large quads hidden under my jeans =)

My only ideas right now are to do a ton of pullups and shoulder presses but I need a more structured routine and I don’t know anything about bodybuilding or hypertrophy work.

I also weigh 195 at 6"1, so I want to gain about 36 pounds of muscle, 46 after losing 10 pounds of excess body fat on my body currently, so gaining a LOT of muscle in the near future (2-3 years) over my entire body is a good idea both for my weightlifting prospects and aestetics, another reason to want to gain some serious upper body size.

What would be a good program for me to do? Perhaps an ME and RE day, or something more simple? I have good recovery ability but don’t want it to interfere with my lower strength gains much if at all. Any dietary or “supplement” related advice of all kinds are welcomed as well.

All suggestions welcome!

little disappointed here at response =) maybe this is a beginner question

a friend recommended something called Waterbury program, good plan?

honestly a press or two, and a row or chhin and a tri or bi movment done after your oly training twice a week is probably the most you can do with minimumly effecting your olifting.

[quote]actionjeff wrote:
little disappointed here at response =) maybe this is a beginner question

a friend recommended something called Waterbury program, good plan?[/quote]

Drop the Oly, do DoggCrapp (see the discussion in the forum). Or just do Oly. Your body doesn’t like to serve two ‘masters’.

Do you have a oly lifting coach? I’m having a hard time believing your upper body could be lagging that badly doing snatches and any kind of overhead work. Not trying to be a dick or call you out, I’m just confused.

nope. I’ve seen one though and had some help from a friend whose a powerlifter

It’s not lagging THAT badly, but there’s just plenty left to be desired. Not sure what you mean by overhead work, all I do other than Snatch is Jerks and pullups.

I do overhead press sometimes but no real hypertrophy work for upper. I was kind of hoping there was some good easy upper body BB program to fit in 2 days a week of with my 3 days of weightlifting

zep,

that’s what I was kind of hoping wasn’t the case

[quote]actionjeff wrote:
nope. I’ve seen one though and had some help from a friend whose a powerlifter

It’s not lagging THAT badly, but there’s just plenty left to be desired. Not sure what you mean by overhead work, all I do other than Snatch is Jerks and pullups. I do overhead press sometimes but no real hypertrophy work for upper.

I was kind of hoping there was some good easy upper body BB program to fit in 2 days a week of with my 3 days of weightlifting

zep,

that’s what I was kind of hoping wasn’t the case[/quote]

You’ll likely find anything with decent TUT will leave you sore. OLY lifting sore is a pain in the ass.

IMO add cable rows on top of the chins, a curl variation, and a flat press and a shoulder lift (lat raises, military press, etc) and a tricep lift.

If you’re into OLY lifting you shouldn’t be doing tons of sets per bodypart either.

Muscle clean and press or hang clean and press would be easy to add into your routine, and help you add muscle.

alright thanks, good ideas

the clean and press would be funny. I have jerked about double what I can press!

I only added chins and weighted chins regularly a few months ago

my dad has joked at me a few times that all the muscle I’ve grown is on my legs and when am I going to start getting some big arms? I told him I wasn’t a bodybuilder… but I think he has a point, LOL

Musle clean and press sounds like a very good one and this could be done for higher reps as well.

I highly recommend the cable row too.

alright, talked to some people, here’s what I’m thinking:

3 Olympic lifting sessions with chins or pullups per week. muscle snatch and muscle clean and press in some of these sessions.

2 “bodybuilding” sessions for arms, shoulders, and chest.

exercises to be used:
biceps/forearms:

db curl, preacher curl
hammer curl

upper back:

pullup and chinup

chest:
db bench press
db incline press

triceps:
dumbbell tricep extensions
dips

shoulders:
overhead press
dumbbell shoulder press partial
lateral raise

some variation of those on the BB days. No heavy upper back work, because I don’t want to fatigue my back too much. Maybe I should do none at all even?

Don’t know what rep scheme would be good for this, and I wouldn’t do all of these exercises every day, just a selection and alternate. Maybe one heavy chest, one heavy shoulder, and the rest mostly higher rep work

like I said, I know little about bodybuilding so this is what I come up with for arms and chest to build size but not interfere with my O-lifting!

cheers and thanks for advice so far

-JEff