2 Day Template

Was about to start the 5/3/1 three day template for beginners, but just found out I’ll be on the road working all week. So I need a two day template that works for a Saturday and Sunday schedule. Is the day 1 deadlift and overhead press. Day 2 squat and bench the best way to go? Standard 5/3/1 protocol?

Jim has article about this somewhere here. Search training for busy men etc.

one of my best strength gains ever with this template.

Mat’

Thanks for the link. I was hoping to do the deadlift/press and squat/bench template, but if Jim says otherwise with the weekend template, who am I to argue?

[quote]HUNTER13 wrote:
Thanks for the link. I was hoping to do the deadlift/press and squat/bench template, but if Jim says otherwise with the weekend template, who am I to argue?[/quote]

He says on the first page of that article you can do

Squat 5/3/1
Bench 5/3/1
1 or 2 assistance, example I presume being chins, rows, back ext, facepulls

DL 5/3/1
Press 5/3/1
1 or 2 assistance

It was also recently mentioned in a thread on here a few days back. Jim said some of his members had great success getting stronger doing the above template. More options also in his books.

EDIT: read your post again and saw that you said only weekend training. I guess my advice is redundent unless you perhaps you train Friday and Sunday.

It’s looking like a Saturday Sunday training schedule unfortunately.

My plan is to run the two day template for the time while I am on the road, switch to the 5/3/1 for a beginner three day template for the winter months, and when work picks up again in the spring switch to the eight day training week. Does this seem like a good idea?