2 Day a Week Mass Program

Due to time constraints, in the next several months I’m going to be unable to get to the gym more than a couple of times a week.
Can anyone suggest a training program with the goal of getting bigger that can be done in 2 sessions per week?

I realize this is far from optimal, but on the other hand a lot better than nothing, so I’m going to give it my all in any case. Hopefully, this will yield at least some results.

As I said in a few posts here in the past, I am still very small and weak, and I guess this detail is important for someone trying to give advice, so here it is.

Thanks for any and all replies!

i would do something like a maybe a 2 day 5x5 Bill Starr program, and then maybe do some GPP if you can at least 1-2 other days, which you could fit in maybe at night or something?

You will definitly need to do full body tho… good luck

How long will you have to train on those two days?

Working out twice a day, on those two days, would be most beneficial, but that’s probably not an option.

Truth is, you won’t see much in terms of results. You’re going to have to lower your caloric intake according to your new activity level, or you’ll end up getting fat.

Since you said you were still small and weak, keep it simple. Focus on your money lifts and keep a decent volume since you are only hitting it 2x a week.

I agree with coolnatedawg you need to do full body.

Here is my suggestion

Day 1: Squat
Horizontal push
Horizontal pull

Day 2: Deadlift
Vertical push
Vertical pull

I think the 5x5 suggestion would be good as well for all of these movements. However, I might suggest not sticking to that set up more than a couple weeks at a time. Go to lower sets/higher reps for a couple, then go back.

You will also want to keep a couple days in between these workouts. 1 on, 2 off, 1 on, 3 off, for example.

Hit these hard and eat well and you will get something out of it.

Cueball

[quote]Dexter Morgan wrote:
How long will you have to train on those two days?

Working out twice a day, on those two days, would be most beneficial, but that’s probably not an option.

Truth is, you won’t see much in terms of results. You’re going to have to lower your caloric intake according to your new activity level, or you’ll end up getting fat.[/quote]

I’m actually coming out of a period of about 4 months in which I was very stressed for time and stressed in general, so I didn’t get any training at all.

Having cleared up my schedule a little, I can squeeze in 2 sessions a week.
I probably should have noted that I have 2 HIIT-type workouts a week as a part of a sports course in the university, which I can’t toss out this or the next semester.

I know the training sessions should be full body workouts, but I’m not sure about the volume/intensity, and exercise selection for that matter, that I should go with.

[quote]-Icarus- wrote:
Due to time constraints, in the next several months I’m going to be unable to get to the gym more than a couple of times a week.
Can anyone suggest a training program with the goal of getting bigger that can be done in 2 sessions per week?

I realize this is far from optimal, but on the other hand a lot better than nothing, so I’m going to give it my all in any case. Hopefully, this will yield at least some results.

As I said in a few posts here in the past, I am still very small and weak, and I guess this detail is important for someone trying to give advice, so here it is.

Thanks for any and all replies![/quote]

You might want to check out this program from Tony Gentilcore:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1475469

Its a 2-day workout.

I would rely on heavy volume full body of course. 4x12 5x10 10x10 whatever. The negative side of this kind of training is the long recovery time, but you can only train twice a week so it will be good for packing on mass.

If it were me I’d do an upper body workout one day and a lower the other. Keeping intensity up. I can make great progress on just 1 body part per week. I know Skip LaCour recommended this. I’d still keep my protein up for recovery but drop the carbs and fats to compensate for lack of activity. Thats just what I’d do. Sometimes less is more.

two 5x5 days would be good, I would do something like that :

Day 1 - 5x5
a - bilateral squat
b - upper body vertical pull
c - deadlift variation
d - upper body vertical push
e - biceps isolation

Day 2 - 5x5
a - upper body horizontal push
b - unilateral lower body pull
c - upper body horizontal pull
d - unilateral squat
e - triceps isolation

[quote]-Icarus- wrote:
I’m actually coming out of a period of about 4 months in which I was very stressed for time and stressed in general, so I didn’t get any training at all.
[/quote]

Now that’s dedication.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
-Icarus- wrote:

Now that’s dedication.[/quote]

Actually it’s called college. Probably one of his last semesters where all that exists is studying, class, lab and sleep and absolutely nothing else.

Do what Arnold did. 1 in the morning, one in pm. 4 workouts are better than 2.

[quote]tweekster wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
-Icarus- wrote:

Now that’s dedication.

Actually it’s called college. Probably one of his last semesters where all that exists is studying, class, lab and sleep and absolutely nothing else.[/quote]

You are right. No one on this site has graduated from college or professional school (with honors) while working outside jobs and training.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
tweekster wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
-Icarus- wrote:

Now that’s dedication.

Actually it’s called college. Probably one of his last semesters where all that exists is studying, class, lab and sleep and absolutely nothing else.

You are right. No one on this site has graduated from college or professional school (with honors) while working outside jobs and training.[/quote]

Just pointing out that there was no need for a comment like that and it accomplished nothing

Waterbury has a nice 2 day split as well, haven’t tried it but it might work.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1165710