T Nation

2 a Days

Just nosing through previous forum posts on said topic and came across

I’ve got 2 weeks with shit all to do except training (teaching has its benefits :))
Was looking into doing something pretty similar to this to jump start some gains in strength and size. Anyone had any experience of using this or a similar sort of programme? Summer is coming so I need to lose the winter timber also so thinking of throwing in a little interval training/tabatas here and there.

Plan is either

A) Morning strength work out + 10 minute intervals followed by PM isolation of same muscle groups worked in morning

B) As above but with intervals in the PM instead

C) Scrap intervals and do them on “off” days

Going to shoot for 3 days on 1 day off

Thoughts???

Oh and workload volume wise was going for:

AM work out = 2 exercises 3-5 reps … 5 sets

PM work out = 3-4 exercises 8-12+ reps …3/4 sets incorporating drop sets, supersets, rest pause yada yada yada…

Hopefully keeping workouts under about 40 minutes and 10/12 hours apart

Some of the best training I’ve had was from a 2-a-day split similar to this. I highly recommend it and wish I had the time to do this gain myself! I would just do intervals on your off days because of the amount of work you will already be doing in one day, but that all depends on what your primary goals are.

Thanks for the reply man!

Any chance you could give an example of what a day you did would look like just for reference?

Primary goals are to gain some muscle mass really without gaining much fat or losing some if possible but gaining some lean mass is priority 1! I Suppose a low intensity incline walk on training days would fit the bill with intervals on off days?!

What kind of gains did you get bro, increased size, strength or a mixture of both?

Make sure to improve your recovery - hydration, sleep, stretching

What is your current work capacity like? May be difficult to jump straight into 2x per day

If I were you I would probably implement more conditioning work and try to slightly improve body comp through fat loss as it is only two weeks and easier to achieve concrete results here rather than expect to add much if any new muscle

good luck

Hopefully those 3 won’t be too much of an issue because i’ve got no real commitments over the 2 weeks so my life can be primarily training focused (shit it must be so class to be a professional sportsman lol) so I dont imagine sleep etc to be much of a problem!

Work capacity shouldn’t be a problem I currently train 2 bodyparts per day with a bit of interval training thrown in here or there 4 days on 1 day off. I’m sort of doing what i plan to do anyway really but it tends to be in 1 session as oppose to in 2 seperate sessions!

Yeah that makes sense head down the body recomp road using more conditioning and any muscle gain is a bonus then really!

Cheers mate. Nice one

[quote]jimboslice wrote:
Hopefully those 3 won’t be too much of an issue because i’ve got no real commitments over the 2 weeks so my life can be primarily training focused (shit it must be so class to be a professional sportsman lol) so I dont imagine sleep etc to be much of a problem!

Work capacity shouldn’t be a problem I currently train 2 bodyparts per day with a bit of interval training thrown in here or there 4 days on 1 day off. I’m sort of doing what i plan to do anyway really but it tends to be in 1 session as oppose to in 2 seperate sessions!

Yeah that makes sense head down the body recomp road using more conditioning and any muscle gain is a bonus then really!

Cheers mate. Nice one[/quote]

a school teacher should know how to spell separate I hope you don’t teach English!

general rules of thumb are to make the morning session more intense with the afternoon more volume. hit the same muscle groups as well.

The heavy low volume lifts in the morning will prime your muscles and nervous system to have a killer pm session.

I havent done 2-a-days for a very long time, but i ALWAYS killed it in the second session.

its probably not necessary or even ideal to split the sessions by 10+ hours. usually around 6 is ideal. more then 7 and the nervous system advantage from the earlier session starts to fade pretty quickly

Yes I do, primary school teacher, making me a jack of all trades master of fuck all. Poor error on my part haha!

and tork thanks for the advice, 6-7 hours would be perfect as i’d miss peak times in the gym! would you advocate just 1 exercise in the morning or push it to 2?

[quote]jimboslice wrote:
Yes I do, primary school teacher, making me a jack of all trades master of fuck all. Poor error on my part haha!

and tork thanks for the advice, 6-7 hours would be perfect as i’d miss peak times in the gym! would you advocate just 1 exercise in the morning or push it to 2? [/quote]

Definitely 2, you could even do more depending on your time and goals.

for an chest+back 2-a-day, you could do something like…

AM session
A:Flat Bench Press 6/6
B:Parallel Grip Chin-ups (Weighted) 6/6

(you could make them a circuit to if your short on time etc…)

PM session
A1: Incline DB press 4/10-12
A2: Cable Rows 4/10-12

B1: Seated Shoulder Press 3/10-12
B2: 1 Arm Bent-over Rows 3/10-12

A lower-body day might looks something like this.

am
A: Back Squats 7/5
B: BB RDL 5/8

pm
A1: Front squats 4/8-10
A2: Hamstring Curls 4/6-8

B1: Leg press 4/15-20
B2: Seated Calf Raises 4/8-10
B3: Standing Calf Raises 4/15

Sounds great! I’ll be starting session 1 now. May actually log it but in here, cant be arsed to set up a log for it.

I like the idea of hitting 2 bodyparts the same day it’ll give me twice as much work on them over the 2 weeks and is similar to what im doing at the moment.

Any reason why the supersets in the PM or is it just to get the work done in a smaller time span?

Cheers again! will update in a bit after my work outs

AM workout

Bench press - 4 x 6 100kg

Pullups (bw 18kg) - 5,5,4,4,3

10 minute incline walk

I trained a bodybuilder for many years, he turned pro (and eventually qualified for the olympia 202lbs) by training twice a day: morning powerlifting style, evening bodybuilding/isolation style.

Worked up to a 600lbs+ bench and a 800lbs squat and deadlift (he was supposed to compete in the strongest bodybuilder event against Johnny Jackson and Stan Efferding but they didn’t allow him to compete for an obscure rule about not havine competed that year, although he did).

You do need AMAZING recovery capacities to be able to handle this though. And this guy was basically doing this full time. A normal human being can pull it off, but the volume at each session needs to be fairly low.

Thanks for the comment thibs seeing as it was your article that inspired me to have a go at it!

Yeah im hoping that a 2 week blast won’t destroy me too much and that my recovery will be okay with the 1 day off after 2 days of work.
Being a teacher ill be getting the 6 weeks off in summer and a week or 2 weeks off here or there for half terms/end of terms so if it works well i may just do it at those periods as a switch up from my normal training!

PM session

Didn’t go great, lifts certainly were affected by workout 6 hours before! Thinking of trying a longer break tomorrow even though it goes against the nervous system advantage that tork discussed above see if it makes a difference! Prehaps my recovery isnt as great so i need a bit more time between workouts!

ended up with

DB bench 4 x 10 (30kg)
x
Pullups (BW) 4x 10,10,9,8

Next part was a fucking nightmare there was literally nothing free or free anytime soon i.e. benches so couldnt do or even work in with any1 i’ve never seen it so busy considering the time of night! fuck my life

so i ended up doing machine flyes 4 x 10 (rack+10kg 2 sec peak contraction and 2 second full stretch
x
lat pull down (narrow grip) 4 x 12,12,12,11

did a quick chest finisher on hammer strength bench press 2 sets of 15

Attempted tabatas on the treadmill got through 1 cycle of 10 sprints on it and felt like absolute shite after it! Just about managed not to spew

Thibs since you were training a pro bodybuilder, how long did he leave between workouts?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I trained a bodybuilder for many years, he turned pro (and eventually qualified for the olympia 202lbs) by training twice a day: morning powerlifting style, evening bodybuilding/isolation style.

Worked up to a 600lbs+ bench and a 800lbs squat and deadlift (he was supposed to compete in the strongest bodybuilder event against Johnny Jackson and Stan Efferding but they didn’t allow him to compete for an obscure rule about not havine competed that year, although he did).

You do need AMAZING recovery capacities to be able to handle this though. And this guy was basically doing this full time. A normal human being can pull it off, but the volume at each session needs to be fairly low.[/quote]

Just for emphasis, I think this is ideal for people with good recovery for conditioning also.

I also do now believe that your conditioning can affect gains overall simply due to mobility.