2.5 Hour Workout, 60,000lbs Lifted, Felt Great

First time posting here. I’m 38, natural lifter, very much an amateur. Been focusing way more on total volume lately. Normally my workouts are about 1.5 hours, but went extra long the other day and did quite a bit a volume.

That 60k is spreadout across:

• Bench Press
  • Close Grip Bench
  • Shoulder Press
  • EZ bar Curl
  • Squat
  • Deadlift
  • Bent Over Row
  • Dumbbell Incline Press
  • Dips

For anyone looking to push themselves I suggest focusing on volume, it’s cool to see the number increase weekly.

Try this thread for a full discussion on volume as a driver for results.

3 Likes

What is your current goal? I suppose if it is just “work capacity” than there could be value. For hypertrophy or strength though, this is not an optimal approach to training.

Take a skip through the thread @dagill2 just posted, a lot of gems in there…a long thread to get through though!

Honestly my goal is to just look good. I’ve always been strong, or at least normally the strongest around my friends so I’m not personally concerned about how much I can lift.

I can bench 360lb without too much effort and I don’t personally think about getting to 365, 380, 400, etc.

One thing about the way I lift that is perhaps detrimental to “looking good” is I really just like the basics. I’m a bench, squat, deadlift, etc. kinda guy and get really bored if I attempt to have sessions implementing things like kickbacks, skullcrushers, front raises, etc.

So for example my bench press after warmup:
205x12 for 3
225x5 for 3
250x3 for 3
135x30 for 1

Then I do the same for close grip bench, which obliterates my triceps. I love the pump, I feel great, but maybe I’m holding myself back by always ignoring cable flies and such.

Just a friendly heads up to let you know the whole total work load thing isn’t a thing on this site. like it is on a certain other site I won’t mention

2 Likes

I would at least get a better app :rofl:
2.5 hrs in the gym and actual workout time was 24.17 mins on 30 exercises. :thinking:

4 Likes

Did someone just say 20k deadlift challenge?!

5 Likes

Seems correct to me. The actual set doesn’t take any time at all. Like 5 reps on a bench is what, 15 seconds or less?

How do you manage fatigue? Is that a once a week thing, other body parts or movements throughout the week, eat like a mofo?
And how in God’s name have your shoulder joint surfaces not just crumbled like wet cookies?

1 Like

I honestly just go every other day. But keep in mind it’s normally:

Day 1: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Back/Legs/Biceps
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Back/Legs/Biceps

And keep going. Total volume is around 40k-50k, workout time being 1.5 hours.

As far as food goes I’m pretty much on the carnivore diet. Lots of steak, eggs, and salmon. Protein shakes, along with creatine, EAA, Collagen Peptides, and pre-workout.

I get lots of rest. Minimum 8 hours nightly.

Height and weight?

5’7 and 208lbs

A couple of recent pics

1 Like