T Nation

1st Timer Needing Advise

Ok guys I dont quite know how to put this politely but Im (how can I say this) lacking in any form of knowledge about fitness, nutrition and basically working out.

I understand that there are several factors that need to be considered such as, diet, calories in vs calories out but I really have very little understanding of working out, what sorts of foods to eat when working out, understanding the wonders of protein shakes.

I have been working out for a couple of months and I started to see a little defination but as the christmas period has passed all that work as gone to waist and I’ve managed to put on 3kg (as you do in that time) but now that the New Year has come around I have decided that I need to do alot of work (for myself and for my own desires) to create the body I want.

My measurements are currently (keep in mind that I am female & 19 years of age):

Height: 177cm (5’ 10’’)
Weight: 64kg (141 lbs)
Neck: 36cm (14’’)
Bicep: 27cm (10’’)
Forearm: 21cm (8’’)
Chest: 78cm (30’’)
Waist: 79cm (31’’)
Hips: 98cm (38’’)
Thigh: 55cm (21’’)
Calf: 39cm (15’’)

Please keep in mind that these measurements may be a few cm’s difference as I did have quite a bit of a dodgy tape measure.

I have attached a picture of one of the figure models from this website (I hope this is ok to do) that I would die to look like. She has a gorgeous body that’s so toned and defined.

From what I’ve read in the posts on here in order for me to look anything like this at all I need to reduce my bodyfat % and also increase my muscle mass (I think that’s right). In order for me to look anything like this what steps do I need to take?

Thanks

Bub.

Holy shit…

[quote]VibeAlive wrote:
Holy shit…[/quote]

Well I’m sure that helps.

What you need to do for now is read. There are threads at the top of the beginners section which have links to really good articles which is basic knowledge everyone who lifts needs to know. About 2 billion people have asked the same question as you, so everything you need to know is generally already on this site.

First off, I think you should do away with the notion of “toned”. That simply means that you have more muscle mass, and does not come from doing high reps to “cut up” the muscle.

Simply look for a good routine that fits with your time constraints and training ability. For diet, there are numerous articles but a good place to start is :

Ok no worries…I guess I’ll just keep reading. I have found alot of info on here already but theres so much stuff that I can’t get my head around.

I just keep on keeping on. If there’s anything that anyone can help with in the mean time definately pass the info on.

hey bubbles, nice goal you have there, well for what you are proposing a better place to start would probably be

its T-Nation’s sister site and im sure youll find it helpful on your quest for your ideal body.

Thank you so much.

Go to the figure athlete website…

Ok, first off don’t make it too complicated in the beginning. Read plenty, but don’t suffer from analysis paralysis.

i) Pick a good basic prog like Starting Strength. Start on it while you carry on reading. This will help you build muscle.

ii) Read Berardis stuff on nutrition. Do a search on here for his articles. Also check out Berardis www.precisionnutrition.com. This will help body composition.

iii) Check out figureathlete.

iv) Come back here and ask specific Q’s for anything you don’t understand.

[quote]bubbles89 wrote:
Ok no worries…I guess I’ll just keep reading. I have found alot of info on here already but theres so much stuff that I can’t get my head around.

I just keep on keeping on. If there’s anything that anyone can help with in the mean time definately pass the info on.[/quote]

it helps to ask specific questions about what you’re reading. That way it gives us some direction on where to go with the answer. Reading’s great, but understanding what you read is kinda necessary too.

So it helps instead of asking “how do I work out? and look like her?”, asking something along the lines of “why did thibaudeau/Berardi/Lowery/etc say [blank]?” or “this is my plan… what should I change and why?”