1st Strongman Comp in 10 Days

Hey guys. In lieu of another thread I figured I’d make one about my own. Anyway, here is the event page

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=62943760925

I am in the HW category (200lbs+ - the weight classes are weird). Here are the weights for my class:

FARMERS WALK- 60 sec. time limit, 50 feet, turn around 50 ft back, best time or distance.
Men HW- 220 per hand

LOG CLEAN AND PRESS- 60 sec. time limit, most reps wins
Men HW- 175 pounds

TRUCK PULL- 60 sec. limit, pull truck 100 ft, fastest time or furthest distance wins
Men HW- 7000 pounds

LOADING MEDELY- 60 sec. time limit, fastest time wins
Men- Keg/Sandbag/odd stone/Atlas Stone; 45" platform
Men LW/HW- 200/150/TBD/270

YOKE/KEG CARRY/TIRE FLIP RELAY- 90 sec. time limit, Walk (or run if you can) yolk 50 ft, pick up the
keg, bring it back, put keg down, flip tire 50 ft. Fastest time or greatest distance wins.
Men HW- 455/185/500 pounds

I don’t have much experience with event training, due to lack of equipment. I have been practicing the Clean/Press, Farmer’s Walk (I’ve just been using the heaviest DBs my gym has, which is 150), and stone lifting (friend of mine at the gym showed me how to stone lift using the sleeve of a barbell).

Are there any movements to mimic the other events? It’s times like this that make me wish I had a sled, surely that would help with the truck pull. But again my problem is lack of equipment.

I know it’s stupid to be asking for advice so close to the competition date, but I don’t come on T-Nation as often as I’d like.

Any/all constructive comments would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any background info on my lifts.

since it’s so close to the comp i won’t give “you should train by doing…” advice.

just when you get to the area that we will all be, look at the equipment, ask people questions you may have. and pay attention when others are performing their events so you can see what to do (as well as what not to do).

we had a few people screw up by doing the same thing last year. mainly running with the farmers walk handles and not turning properly.

good luck “luca”

Oh cool so you’ll be there? Nice. A friend of mine is an RIT Alumn and is competing as well. Won’t be hard to spot me, I’ll be the 255lb fat bastard. I’m sure the kids at RIT are nowhere near that weight LOL

Is this a NAS sanctioned event? Weights look light all the way around for that to be a heavyweight class. In fact, those weights look light for a lightweight class.

[quote]Andrew.Cook wrote:
Is this a NAS sanctioned event? Weights look light all the way around for that to be a heavyweight class. In fact, those weights look light for a lightweight class. [/quote]

I doubt it. It’s a fundraiser type event to fund the school’s weightlifting program.

I can’t click on the link, but from what you posted those are very manageable weights for a first time contest.

You’re not going to get stronger in 10 days, so your best bet is to get some experience handling the equipment. If you can contact someone in your area that has some equipment you can try out. Maybe even contact whoever is running the show and ask if you try out the gear.

If that’s not a possibility, get to the show early enough to feel out the equipment. Try to get a few reps on each event. Talk to some of the experienced competitors to get some tips on how to perform each event.

Like I said, you’re not going to get stronger in 10 days, but there’s a world of difference between having never touched a stone and having a few reps experience. Good luck.

Ah, fund raiser events can be fun, but you are right, they are rarely very heavy. Good luck with your first comp and think of it as a learning experience.

Thanks. I absolutely agree about not getting stronger in ten days. I know that I can’t and wasn’t trying to. I was just trying to see if there were any makeshift type of equipment that could be used at a commercial gym to mimic a piece of strongman equipment.

Unfortunately, I live in The Bronx and my competition is in Rochester, an 8 hour drive away. So I’ll have to see if I can get some light practice in the day of the event as I’ll be driving up the day before.

You will have some time the day of the competition to warm up. Unfortunately you are just going to have to do this trial by fire style.

i noticed that this even is in ny do you know of any events in the albany/western mass area?

thanks and good luck

Search… enter…enjoy

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcoming/

[quote]Andrew.Cook wrote:
Search… enter…enjoy

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcoming/ [/quote]

I actually contacted the head person for NY a few months ago when I signed up for the event, but nobody got back to me. Then, I emailed them when I got back from the Arnold and no answer. I wonder if that person checks the email address.

I have heard people complain about not getting a response back from the NY state chair on another site. Being that you are so close to CT, I might contact the CT state chair. I know there are training groups in New Haven and closer to NYC.

It IS a fundraiser event. Advantages are that the weights are manageable and the entry is very low ($12 if I remember correct). Disadvantage is obviously that the weights are going to be pretty low.

I’m currently on an internship, but while I was in school I train with those guys. Just stop and ask any one of them if you need help with the technique for how to do any of the events. They’re all cool guys (well, almost all) and would be happy to help you.

Steve I hope your not talking about me you asshole.

I’d be more then happy to help anyone who paid me to.

Last year there was a really big dude who came out of no where (probably a frat) and did terrible. He was massive and totally out of shape and couldn’t grasp the concept of any of the events. But he did bust his balls trying for 60 seconds at a time.

We had about 20 people last year compete and about 60 people come watch, this year should have a few more competitors and a LOT more people watching. (since its’ during a school-wide event day)

[quote]Luca Brasi wrote:
Andrew.Cook wrote:
Search… enter…enjoy

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcoming/

I actually contacted the head person for NY a few months ago when I signed up for the event, but nobody got back to me. Then, I emailed them when I got back from the Arnold and no answer. I wonder if that person checks the email address.[/quote]

NY Strongman (the website) hasn’t been updated in over two years, so I’m betting that he may not. Just call Ben, use the number that’s there, that’s the best way to get in touch.

Hey Luca,

How competitive is this? I’m actually only just over in Syracuse. I’d like to make it out regardless to spectate and maybe meet some other T-Nation members- but I’ve always been interested in competing.

I’ve never done any strongman training, however, and I’m only a couple weeks off a layoff.

But this sounds like fun.