1st Push/Pull Meet

I plan on doing my 1st powerlifting meet, it’s just Bench and Deadlift but I’m looking forward to it. Just wondering if any of you guys could offer some advice on training and day of advice and tips.

My max gym lifts are 495 dead and 355 bench. I tried 365 but couldn’t get past the mid range, going to incorporate board presses and some incline and close grip work. I’ve been running the Russian Squat routine to help my deadlift, my squat is weak at 425. btw I’m 6’1" and weight around 242-245 so I plan on just lifting in the 242 wt class.

How would you guys plan your opening lifts? I don’t mean to win or anything just want to be a good showing. Was thinking do my 1st 2 lifts at a weigth I’m sure I could handle and then go for broke on the last, I’d love to hit a 900 total.

Traditional way to approach a PL meet:

Your opener should be something you can handle comfortably, maybe even for 2-3 reps in the gym. Get yourself in the meet.

Assuming that you hit the opener, your second attempt usually should match your PR or be a tad above.

Third attempt, you’ll either retake #2 or, if you hit your second attempt, go for broke.

I’d recommend going for, say, 335 on your bench opener, 355 on the second, and 365-375 on your third.

Deadlift attempts could be along the lines of 475 opener, 495-505 second, and 525 on the third.

375+525 would be your 900 total.

Good luck!

Thanks much appreciated

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
Traditional way to approach a PL meet:

Your opener should be something you can handle comfortably, maybe even for 2-3 reps in the gym. Get yourself in the meet.

Assuming that you hit the opener, your second attempt usually should match your PR or be a tad above.

Third attempt, you’ll either retake #2 or, if you hit your second attempt, go for broke.

I’d recommend going for, say, 335 on your bench opener, 355 on the second, and 365-375 on your third.

Deadlift attempts could be along the lines of 475 opener, 495-505 second, and 525 on the third.

375+525 would be your 900 total.

Good luck![/quote]

agree 100% also work in having someone give you commands for the bench press, and read the rules for the fed you are competing in. And most importantly since its your first meet, enjoy the process and learn as much as you can.