T Nation

1st Meet and Technique Critique

As I promised in the comments of Jack Reape’s last article, here are the results of my first meet.
In the week before it I just did some light Speed work as Jack suggested.

I am 20 years old and from Aachen, Germany.
I weighhed in with 66,2kg ~145lbs @ about 65" height(sorry, I am not quite familiar with american measurements, so I can’t give it in feet)
That shocked me, because the weekend before on empty stomach I was not quite 64kg.

As it was my first meet and first touched a Bar with weights on it 10moths ago, I didn’t use a shirt.

My first attempt was 75kg ~ 165lbs
smoked it.

seccond one was 187lbs flew up, unfortunately red lighted because the pause on my chest was too short.

Last one was 87.5kgs ~ 192,5lbs
I smoked this, too, and i’ am sure i could have done 90. but too late.

With this weight I got place four of four competitors in my weight/age class.
the guy on 3rd place lifted the same weight, but unfortunatelly he was 200grams lighter than me. Should have gone to the toilet a little earlieer, huh.

Here is the link to the video of my last attempt, please critique me:
http://rapidshare.de/files/5757844/meddl_87.5x1_bochum.MOV.html
(just scroll down and click the “free” button, then wait a few secons till the countdown is over and right click on the download link -->save target as.

Thanks

Max

Good job.

Learn how to arch. It will improve your leverages. Also it is easier to use the arch without your power belt.

beef

Thanks. I am trying.

What a treat after coming home from my swim practice!

You look solid to me. I can’t quite tell if you have long arms or not. You’re going straight up and down. Lol, you seemed so happy!! Congatulations on your first meet. Are you planning to go up in weight to compete or are you staying? Given your stature, I’ll bet you’ll do well in O-lifting too.

Can you guys tell that I’m obsessed with the bench press?

That was good, I’m sure that if you improve your set up you can add 5kg to your bench, viel gluck!

Another thing that has helped me in terms of longevity is to pull your shoulder blades together before the descent and keep them pinched together. Keep them this way throughout the press. This will give you more strength, stability, and will help keep rotator cuff problems away.

You’re doing great and keep it up.

beef

[quote]gold’s wrote:
What a treat after coming home from my swim practice!

You look solid to me. I can’t quite tell if you have long arms or not. You’re going straight up and down. Lol, you seemed so happy!! Congatulations on your first meet. Are you planning to go up in weight to compete or are you staying? Given your stature, I’ll bet you’ll do well in O-lifting too.

Can you guys tell that I’m obsessed with the bench press? [/quote]

I guess I’ll stay in my current class for some time, but sooner or later I have to go up. Maybe pack on some muscle and drop some fat. stay there some time and then go up… I just love eating to much… :smiley:

And yes, I was quite happy when i heard the referee say “good lift”
Just before the lift I was nervous as crazy and had to sit down for a minute or I would have collapsed.

I dunno how I do in Oly lifts, as there is no qualified trainer available to teach me the right tequnique. Imho the Oly Lifts are way more complex as the Power lifts.
And fortunatelly I had a ton of tequniqe articles here from T-Nation or elitefts, but only one or two on the oly lifts.
I’d like to learn them, tough.

Nice job! It’s good to see more people getting into the sport.

It feels great when you get your lift doesn’t it?

You looked like you could have gotten quite a bit more (like you said), but that’s fine. Your first couple meets are more for getting used to how everything goes anyway.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
That was good, I’m sure that if you improve your set up you can add 5kg to your bench, viel gluck![/quote]

I will try to improve, but my back, especially upper back I think is not too mobile.
Arching too much also caused some pain in my back until I starded stretching my hip flextor recently.
Now i have no problems and can improve my arch, hopefully.

Afterwards I have tested 2 shirts of my teammates.
Strange feeling… :slight_smile:
I used one Fury and couldn’t lower 80kg by 5cm.
Then I also tried an old Inzer HD which felt quite good, except for the biting hehe. My armpits are red and blue everywhere.

He gave me this one to train and get the feeling for shirt benching until I buy my own.
But actually I think I have to build a greater base before really getting into using equippment.

For the next meet I will use a shirt I think.

Groove looks fine, and nice plyo jump aftwerward. Get your feet either out more toward the end of the bench or out wider if you use a flat foot setup, or your feet under you if you are up on toes.

Get a single ply shirt to start.

Nice work
jack

[quote]meddl wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:
That was good, I’m sure that if you improve your set up you can add 5kg to your bench, viel gluck!

I will try to improve, but my back, especially upper back I think is not too mobile.
Arching too much also caused some pain in my back until I starded stretching my hip flextor recently.
Now i have no problems and can improve my arch, hopefully.

Afterwards I have tested 2 shirts of my teammates.
Strange feeling… :slight_smile:
I used one Fury and couldn’t lower 80kg by 5cm.
Then I also tried an old Inzer HD which felt quite good, except for the biting hehe. My armpits are red and blue everywhere.

He gave me this one to train and get the feeling for shirt benching until I buy my own.
But actually I think I have to build a greater base before really getting into using equippment.

For the next meet I will use a shirt I think.[/quote]

yes, you should get stronger raw to build a foundation.