1st Lab work on TRT

Hi Guys,

Long time reader, 1st post.

I’m 45 and have put myself on TRT about 4 years ago. I felt what I think any middle aged man feels - libido starting to decrese, loss of energy, etc.

I already have 2 kids so I thought, why not?

Everything was going great until about 2 years ago I started to get some gyno. That’s when I seached this forum and started to take Arimidex.

I’ve consulted 3 doctors who said I was crazy for putting myself on TRT. I live in a VERY CONSERVETIVE country. A simple protein powder is almost seen as doping, trust me.

So, to address the topic. I’m now going to do my 1st complete lab work and I would like some advice.

My TRT/HRT Protocol:

200mg Test E / week (2 injections)
1 mg Arimidex / week (0.5 on injection days)
5iu’s of GH ED
100mg of T4 ED for tehe last 6 weeks (started T4 because of a post I read about GH and T4 and to help me loose some weight).
(HCG is impossible to get where I live. I could order it but i’m affraid it has to be kept cool and will be ruined on the trip).

I found a post on this board about bloodwork. Do you guys agree on this?

Also, do you think ZMA is a waste while on TRT? I read different opinions.

Any advice will be welcome.

• Chemistry Panel (Metabolic panel with lipids)

• Complete Blood Count (CBC)

• Free Testosterone

• Total Testosterone (<500 is not good. 700-1000 is good)

• DHEA-S - Sulfate (low DHEA = increased risk of cardio complications + DHEA converts to T)

• Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA)

• Estradiol

• Homocysteine

• C-reactive protein (High sensitivity) - (high = cardio risk)

• TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) - not that important. It is inaccurate and too many doctors use it as the holy grail; T4/T3 numbers are more important.
    [KSman says: All of the group above can be had as a male lab panel from lef.org , the price is right, but it is always out-of-pocket and insurance will not cover.]

• Total T4

• Free T4

• Total T3

• Free T3

• Reverse T3 (excess T4 converts to RT3. High RT3 blocks free T3 - so your TSH and T3 numbers could look great, but are blocked by RT3 and you feel like @$#!)

• Thyroglobulin Antibodies

• Thyroid Peroxidase

• Cortisol (low cortisol = low overall cellular functions)

• LH (low LH = pituitary disfunction causing hypogonadism - need MRI to check for pituitary tumor)

• FSH (same as above)

• DHT (Dihydrotestosterone)

• SHBG

• IGF-1 (Insulin-Like Growth Factor) (indicator of Human Growth Hormone <200 = not great)

• Prolactin

• Progesterone

• Pregnenolone (precursor of Cortisol, DHEA, and Progesterone + Preg resolves brain fog and improved memory)

• VITAMIN B12

• Vitamin D, 25-OH Total (should be 70-100 I think - almost everyone is deficient)

• Vitamin D, 25-OH D3

• Ferritin (critical for cellular function - low ferritin = low transport capability of hormones, etc.)

• Iron, Total Binding Capacity

• Iron, Binding Capacity

• Magnesium, RBC (is important for cellular energy (ATP) production)

You have been taking testosterone for four years. No need to check these.

1 Like

Thanks highpool. Makes sence, of course.

Forgot to tell that I am also taking Proviron @ 50mg ED for the last 6 weeks.

Why would mailing of HCG ruin it? I think the unmixed powder if fine at room temp. It’s once it’s mixed does it need refrigeration. Otherwise, any ordering of HCG online wouldn’t work.

Someone chime in if I’m wrong.

I have the same doubt. The HCG I can get my ands on is Pregnyl parma grade and it specifically says in the paper that it has to be refigerated at all times. And it does come in powder.

For whatever it’s worth, I just talked with one of the usual online sellers of HCG (I won’t list source) and they said they store the unmixed hcg in refridgerated conditions.

Then again, who lknows if they’re being truthful. My HCG was manufactured in 2017 and expires in 2019. Who knows if it’s been sitting around unrefridgerated.

Well, nothing like trying. Ill order the HCG and probably test it with a pregnancy test. Would that work?

200mg Test a week seems a little high for a TRT protocol. Did you start at that dose 4 years ago or eventually work your way up to it? If you worked up to it, did you notice a tipping point 2 years ago where you started having the gyno issues?

No way to say anything until your bloods come back, but I’m just thinking out loud that you need to back off on the Test just a hair and then could probably drop the AI regimen.

I’m also on 200 mg per week (split in 2 doses) for going on 2 years now. Thought that was a pretty common dosage. No?

1 Like

NO.

LOL

edit: damn unclear thingy

Maybe for really high SHBG guys but a typical TRT dose is 100-125mg a week.

I’d go with @phil65 on this one. It’s not unheard of and it very well may be proper for you and the op here. Wouldn’t know for sure without baseline bloods including SHBG BEFORE TRT started, as well as current bloods with that level being consistent for at least 6 weeks. That’s a WAY high starting dose. That’s why I asked if that was the starting dose or what was worked up to over the first two years. It’s not uncommon for guys to start seeing E2 issues upon approaching the 150-175mg per week mark.

Typically, dosages would start at 75mg-100mg per week. After 6-8 weeks, bloods would be evaluated and then start slowly adjusting dose from there. Not saying this is the “rule” because there are always individual properties to consider, just seems a little off to see someone need that high of a dose for TRT. I’d be willing to bet that Total T is through the roof unless, like @phil65 said, the SHBG is extremely high as well.

Keep in mind that this is all speculation without blood work to go by.

The only general “across the board” guideline is that the dose should be whatever it takes to get Free Test to the appropriate levels where you feel good, but not so high that you aromatase so much estrogen to start having high E2 symptoms. If you need an AI to control E2, then that’s a pretty good indicator that your dose is too high under normal circumstances.

1 Like

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

I do know that 200mg is a high TRT dosage but I still compete at a sport at a Professional level and the extra 50mg may give me the adicional boost.

I live well taking the AI. My question to the Forum is about the bloodwork.

Thanks

I’m assuming that your professional competing sport is BB because running test in just about every other sport professionally will get you in a heap of shit? (Well maybe except for wrestling or power lifting, in which case I doubt you’d be at shortage of readily available and experienced advice, accessible right there in the locker room). If I’m wrong my apologies.

If I’m correct, what’s wrong with lowering your dose to have better stabilization without the need of AI for cruising and then blast (keeping the AI on hand as necessary) pre comp?

My response was geared to the topic title, which stated TRT, but your last reply contradicts that by saying you’re running test for competitive sports enhancement. Sorry for the confusion but it seems that the the title needs to edited to read “Running Juice for 4 years…” and moved to Pharma so nobody else mistakes this as a legit TRT thread.