T Nation

1RM + Density = PR

Christian,

Just wanted to say thank you as your 1RM and density work plan, which I’ve been using for about a month now, has delivered some quick results and yesterday I hit an all time PR on bench press at 405 lbs. My previous best was 395 and I just blew past that after only 4 weeks on this plan.

I’ve been doing the 1RM plus density work on bench, high pulls and front squats (switched this one this week to Deadsquat lifts) along with loaded carries and ring rows/dips and I’m seeing some great gains. The workouts are quick, effective and enjoyable as well.

Once again, thanks man. I’ve always had great success with your methods. Looking forward to giving ‘Built For Bad’ a go at some point in the future as well.

Can you give a link to or summarize this program?

@Dave: That’s awesome man! All time PRs are the best! Keep up the good work you’re a beast. I’ve been doing Ramp to 1RM and then 3 singles & density singles & love the results. Most weeks are a PR with more in the tank.

@mertdawg -

The program that I am using is basically this:

After performing the ramp to 1RM (during which I do submaximal sets of chin ups between ramp sets for a total of 40-50 chins/day) and the density work I typically do a loaded carry variation followed by ring rows and dips.

Some of my recent workouts are detailed in my training log in the Indigo project log section if you want to see an example.

Amazing job Dave… you always are one of the best poster boy for my methods… thanks for making me look smart!

CT - the PR’s keep on coming using your 1RM and density work method. I hit an all-time PR of 385 on front squat today. It felt a bit easier than I expected and I’m pretty sure I’ll top this again in the near future.

Your methods deliver excellent results for me every single time. Thank you once again.

[quote]dave-g wrote:
CT - the PR’s keep on coming using your 1RM and density work method. I hit an all-time PR of 385 on front squat today. It felt a bit easier than I expected and I’m pretty sure I’ll top this again in the near future.

Your methods deliver excellent results for me every single time. Thank you once again.[/quote]

Stop with the PRs, you’ll make me feel weak :wink:

TIme to load up on some micro-pa to break those PR’s.

I’ll dose micro-pa while hanging on rings and doing insane volume work and see if my biceps don’t get freakish…

Dave-g: Curious if you ever tried the original layer program that CT introduced (ramp to 1RM, 90% cluster sets x3, then extended or heavy 5’s)? And how that compares to your current plan that you just linked as far as results? I have been running the first, but am finding that the 90% clusters are wearing me out, and wonder if the heavy 5’s are providing enough hypertrophy stimulation. I like focusing in the heavier ranges, but wondering if limiting the 90% and emphasizing more of the density work in the heavy singles program would yield less taxing, better results? Congrats on the PR’s

@dave
keep em coming. great work!!

@Grove - I did the original layer system when it was first introduced. I saw strength and size gains from that program as well. I recall at the time that I was doing the main lifts from pins and I stopped doing it as I was aggravating my bicep tendon doing the heavy benching from pins. Other than that I enjoyed it and I believe that it is a great program for size and strength. I’m also having great success with my current set up and I’m enjoying the workouts. Is one ‘program’ better than the other? Hard to say and I’m sure that there are factors specific to the individual that will dictate which they prefer. In my opinion both are great options. How’s that for a non-commital answer?

As CT has stated many times his layer system is not one specific program but rather a philosophy that encorporates a number of different methods. The set up that I’m currently using is certainly another variation of the layer system philosophy. If one particular version is burning you out then I’d say simply try another version. Alternatively, you could give CT’s “Opposite Training” (see recently posted articles on the main page) for two weeks and then return to your current training - I’m sure that you will see new progress and feel rejuvenated.

@domcib - Thanks man! Gotta show these young bucks how its done.

[quote]dave-g wrote:
@Grove - I did the original layer system when it was first introduced. I saw strength and size gains from that program as well. I recall at the time that I was doing the main lifts from pins and I stopped doing it as I was aggravating my bicep tendon doing the heavy benching from pins. Other than that I enjoyed it and I believe that it is a great program for size and strength. I’m also having great success with my current set up and I’m enjoying the workouts. Is one ‘program’ better than the other? Hard to say and I’m sure that there are factors specific to the individual that will dictate which they prefer. In my opinion both are great options. How’s that for a non-commital answer?

As CT has stated many times his layer system is not one specific program but rather a philosophy that encorporates a number of different methods. The set up that I’m currently using is certainly another variation of the layer system philosophy. If one particular version is burning you out then I’d say simply try another version. Alternatively, you could give CT’s “Opposite Training” (see recently posted articles on the main page) for two weeks and then return to your current training - I’m sure that you will see new progress and feel rejuvenated.

Thanks Dave, and good suggestion about the opposite training…I had forgotten about that.
Read in your log the comments about TBDL / dead squat day. Totally agree. Love them but they are by far the most brutal.

@ Dave
@ CT

After finishing a nasty 6 week layers strength phase, I have had great results over the last 6 weeks with the (ramp to) 1RM + density system as well.

I have kept it very simple. I read a post by CT somewhere that he sometimes did this:

"…often times i would:

1. Ramp to 1RM
  2. Perform 10 total reps with 90% (or as many reps as possible in 4 or 5 minutes)
  3. Perform 30 total reps with 80-85% (or as many reps as possible in 8 to10 minutes"

…and so, from this, I am doing:

1. Ramp to 1RM
  2. 90% for as many reps as possible in 5 mins.
  3. 80-82.5% for as many reps as possible in 10 mins.

All my upper body pressing is done with this template, and SGHP from hang sessions are done with a shorter ‘3)’ portion of 5 minutes rather than 10. I find that 10 mins total is PLENTY for the SGHPs. You can really belt the reps out on that movement, even at the prescribed percentages.

This is a very hard hypertrophy phase IMHO and works GREAT after doing a layers strength phase just prior to starting it (that’s my interpretation of CT’s principles on HDL and density work anyway).
With that in mind, I’m starting to feel a bit torched and will switch to a strength phase again very soon.

Thoughts CT? Would including loaded carries into this setup be too much?

ps…my traps are starting to look like there’s an alien nestled on top of my scapulae (dense!) since doing my SGHPs this way :slight_smile:

CT or anyone else. I want to give this a try but I’m kind of anal in tracking progress from workout to workout and I need something more structured.

For example my mind won’t let me perform singles as fast as I can or in a certain amount of time because I will either fool myself into taking too much rest or attempting the single when I’m not ready and subsequently fail at it.

I prefer being told to do a single at a precise time frame like every 10 secs or 20 secs etc. until I reach the prescribed number of reps. What formula would you recommend? Do I just pick 30 reps and divide it into 7 or 8 minutes? I’m not sure of the parameters to use.

Also how do I progress? Do I add weight and keep same time intervals or do I try to shorten the times then add weight?

I know it sounds a bit OCD but that’s how my mind operates. I need to be forced into certain numerical figures. Thanks.

If you look at his article on this, I believe he has specific rep counts (at a % of your 1RM) to hit in the prescribed time.

There’s lots of stuff in the forum here but I didn’t bookmark those, someone may chime in.

[quote]tsantos wrote:
If you look at his article on this, I believe he has specific rep counts (at a % of your 1RM) to hit in the prescribed time.

There’s lots of stuff in the forum here but I didn’t bookmark those, someone may chime in.[/quote]

Ok thanks. I located some info and I found certain percentages for 4-5 mins or 7-8 mins etc. I guess I’ll just divide the required reps into the time allotment

[quote]PKS wrote:
@ Dave
@ CT

After finishing a nasty 6 week layers strength phase, I have had great results over the last 6 weeks with the (ramp to) 1RM + density system as well.

[/quote]

Is a layers strength phase, the layers/singles program another poster mentioned? Or is it ramping followed by clusters? Thanks!

Pretty sure the strength phase is the ramp / clusters. The singles are considered a volume / density combo if I remember correctly.

The strength phase was basically:
Ramp to 1RM, Clusters with 90% 1RM, Ramp to 2RM, Clusters with 90% 2RM, Ramp to 3RM, Clusters with 90% 3RM, Max Reps with 70% 1RM.

Some details varied, like the number of cluster sets and the final set, but that’s the basic idea.

Personally I’m doing 3 1RM clusters, 2 2RM clusters, 1 3RM cluster. And MaxReps-rest 10s-MaxReps at the end.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
The strength phase was basically:
Ramp to 1RM, Clusters with 90% 1RM, Ramp to 2RM, Clusters with 90% 2RM, Ramp to 3RM, Clusters with 90% 3RM, Max Reps with 70% 1RM.

Some details varied, like the number of cluster sets and the final set, but that’s the basic idea.

Personally I’m doing 3 1RM clusters, 2 2RM clusters, 1 3RM cluster. And MaxReps-rest 10s-MaxReps at the end.[/quote]

My CNS is fried just reading that Lorez…what’s your recovery like with that volume? I love the layer concept but struggling with finding the right balance that works for me.