T Nation

19Y/O w/ Low T. What Do I Do?

My GP isn’t very knowledgeable in this area of health. I’m hoping I can find guidance on this forum.

I’m 19 and am experiencing multiple symptoms of Low T: low libido, inability to gain muscle or strength, low appetite, mild depression, horrible sleep quality. I’ve had multiple blood tests:

February Blood Test 7 A.M.
Total Testosterone - 454 ng/dL

March Blood Tests, 11 A.M.
Total Testosterone - 401 ng/dL (250-1100)
Free Testosterone - 43.7 pg/mL (46.0-224.0 pg/mL)
Bioavailable Testosterone - 97.5 ng/dL (110.0-575.0 ng/dL)
SHBG - 40 nmol/L (10-50)
TSH - 3.88 uIU/mL (0.36-3.74)
Free T4 - 1.05 ng/dL (0.76 - 1.46)
Vitamin D - 52 ng/mL (middle of the range)

My theory of why I have low T is because I was put on SSRIs from 12-18. It wasn’t until I realized what an SSRI actually was that I asked to be taken off of them.

I want to get bloods done again. What should I include in my bloodwork? And should I ask to be referred to a endo? I have been trying to raise my testosterone naturally over the last few months by eating well and sleeping as well as I can, but I highly doubt it will work. I really don’t know where to go from here, and am unsure of what options I even have. I’d appreciate any input.

Did they do your FSH, LH , E2 (oEstradiol), prolactin ?

Don’t worry pal, there are some knowledgeable people on this site.

Your doctor should be paying attention to the free portion of testosterone circulating in the blood rather than the bound hormone (Total T). More than likely you were put on SSRI because of low testosterone and hypothyroidism, very common for people to be prescribed SSRIs when the problem is either testosterone or thyroid related.

The reason your Free T is so low is related to your elevated SHBG which is binding up most of your testosterone. I bet if you were to test LH it would be on the lower end, your high SHBG is making your testosterone appear to be good when in fact it is not. Testosterone production (LH will confirm) is low and SHBG is binding what little you do have.

You’re making a mistake going to a managed healthcare doctors, endocrinologist, urologists and GP’s do not specialize in TRT. Your TSH is terrible and is indicating thyroid is struggling, Free T3 (not TSH or Free T4) increase metabolism. Your doctor is unable to help because she/he lacks understanding in TRT and thyroid matters.

You were put on SSRIs because you have undiagnosed thyroid and low testosterone, either one of these can cause depression and anxiety. There is a large majority of men and women on SSRIs were are walking around with low testosterone and hypothyroidism, the cause is poorly trained sick care doctors.

I would seek out private doctors who specializes in both TRT and thyroid replacement, usually anti-aging clinics seem to have the leading doctors in these fields. I’m not talking about the T-mills popping all over, be careful as these places are just selling product and doing minimal testing and force weekly office vitis for your T injections. Most men inject T one or more times per week.

• Tests needed:

• Estradiol Sensitive (E2)

• LH-Luteinizing Hormone

• FSH-Follicle stimulating hormone

• Prolactin

• Cortisol

• Ferritin

• Thyroid Panel

• CBC-complete blood count

• Comprehensive Metabolic Panel

• Lipid profile/panel