1994. Best Year for Movies

I wish they made better movies today. Reading those lists and seeing the crap that people go out and see today… They don’t make 'em like they used too. Inception here I come but other then that… all great movies.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I wasn’t ranking the movies, just peeling them off as I remembered them. If I were going to pick a #1, it’d have to be Pulp Fiction, followed by Shawshank.

[/quote]

I agree. Shawshank is an unbelievably good movie and one of my favorites, but Pulp Fiction is hands down the best movie of my generation and maybe the best movie of all time.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
1974. The Godfather pt2 and Chinatown for starters, both of which (in my opinion) are better than any movies listed thus far. Plus:

Blazing Saddles
Caged Heat
Deathwish
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Man With the Golden Gun
Airport 1975
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
The Conversation
Way of the Dragon
Murder on the Orient Express[/quote]

WOW, how old are you. I would have went with 1975 when Rocky came out but I seen that on TV. Murder on the Orient Express? Kinda boring film but Blazing Saddles was a CLASSIC
[/quote]

Rocky came out in 1976. But overall the 70’s were by far the best decade for film and one could make an argument for any of those years as the best year in film. 1970-71 had Mash, Patton, Catch-22, THX-1138, Vanishing Point, A Clockwork Orange, Dirty Harry and The French Connection and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Between 76-79 there were such classics as Rocky1&2, All the Presidents Men, Carrie, The Bad News Bears, Network, Star Wars, Close Encounter of a Third Kind, Saturday Night Fever, Smokey and the Bandit, The Hills Have Eyes, Slapshot, Animal House, Superman, The Deer Hunter, Midnight Express, Halloween, Up In Smoke, Apocalypse Now, Alien, Caligula, Escape From Alcatraz, The Jerk, Mad Max, and The Warriors.

Also in 1994:

Way better than its 90’s trailer suggests.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

WOW, how old are you. I would have went with 1975 when Rocky came out but I seen that on TV. Murder on the Orient Express? Kinda boring film but Blazing Saddles was a CLASSIC
[/quote]

I wasn’t born until 1979, but great films know no boundaries and have no age limits[/quote]

Wait, that’s not you in the avatar pic? (sarcasm intended)

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:
Point of this thread = there used to be more good films per annum.[/quote]

Not really. People are just pickier now. Most of the people claiming everything sucks now would be claiming many of those same movies sucked if they were playing now for the first time.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I wasn’t ranking the movies, just peeling them off as I remembered them. If I were going to pick a #1, it’d have to be Pulp Fiction, followed by Shawshank.

[/quote]

I agree. Shawshank is an unbelievably good movie and one of my favorites, but Pulp Fiction is hands down the best movie of my generation and maybe the best movie of all time.[/quote]

This post sponsored by SSC.

[quote]XiaoNio wrote:
Also in 1994:

Way better than its 90’s trailer suggests.[/quote]

yo i just got the bluray of that tonight. i know this movie is fire.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[/quote]

I wasn’t born until 1979, but great films know no boundaries and have no age limits[/quote]

Wait, that’s not you in the avatar pic? (sarcasm intended)[/quote]

You gonna spit-shine my fucking shoes or what?

And then someone gets stabbed in the back of a caddy

Check out the fifth post. Freaking scary. Great minds think alike?

[quote]four60 wrote:
I have to go with 1984 (yes I’m that old):

Beverly Hills Cop
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Ghostbusters
Purple Rain
The Terminator
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Killing Fields
The Gremlins
The Karate Kid[/quote]

awesome… so far this is my fave… '84 & '94 are tied for number 1

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

x5

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
For Movies that held up over the test of time… You had:

Schindlers List (released in '93, but stayed in theaters into '94
The Crow
Interview with a Vampire
Forrest Gump
Speed
The Lion King
Legends of the Fall
Pulp Fiction
True Lies
Shawshank Redemption
Dumb and Dumber
Clerks
Hoop Dreams
PCU

Not another single year, in my mind/memory, has this kind of pedigree. Does it?
[/quote]
Damn, my two favorite movies: Forrst Gump and PCU, nice, good work Watson.

I’m glad to see PCU getting love and its due respect in this thread. I think it is one of the best and most underrated comedies of all time.

Gotta go with 85 so far.

And the 70s by far is the worst decade for movies.

[quote]four60 wrote:
I have to go with 1984 (yes I’m that old):

Beverly Hills Cop
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Ghostbusters
Purple Rain
The Terminator
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Killing Fields
The Gremlins
The Karate Kid[/quote]

Sigh I am way too young to appreciate most of these except for Ghostbusters, not that I think the others are bad. Indiana Jones 2 sucks pretty bad though

That sealed the deal for 1994 IMO. I love this movie but didn’t know it was a '94

[quote]XiaoNio wrote:
Also in 1994:

[quote]XiaoNio wrote:
Also in 1994:

Leon was great

Predator
The Running Man
Lethal Weapon
Full Metal Jacket
Fatal Attraction
The Untouchables
Spaceballs
Hellraiser
The Lost Boys
Over the Top
The Princess Bride
RoboCop
Wall Street

Predator, Lethal Weapon, and Full Metal Jacket alone make this the best year ever.