T Nation

195 lbs Gonna Try to Work my Way up to 220

Hey guys i’m trying to gain muscle so i can become a good powerlifter. I’m 5’7" think bulking to 220 would be a good idea. What do you guys think should I gain less or more?

what you should do is post more pics! Front dub Bi, wheels all that junk.

I think that you should cut…like RIGHT NOW

stats and lifts would be good to include too…

ya a good cut would be good for his looks but if he wants to be a powerlifter looks have nothing to do with it

This doesn’t belong in RMP. But anyway wouldn’t going as heavy as possible be better then limiting yourself?

As far as stats i can
squat-320
bench-250
deadlift-? i slipped 2 discs in my back a year ago but before i did i could do 490 its prob 440 or more now

I know these numbers aren’t that good so i wanna try to get a 300 bench, 440 lb squat and 550 lbs dead asap.

[quote]curls4thegirls wrote:
ya a good cut would be good for his looks but if he wants to be a powerlifter looks have nothing to do with it[/quote]

I was actually jokingly referring to his first Rmp thread which was a total trainwreck…
don’t worry about it…

i must say…the Op does look a lot better now. Keep up the good work

Haha i messed up bad on the pose and look stupid but i don’t wanna take pics again. O and have been doing DC Training for 2 weeks and i must say it is awesome. Dante is a very smart man. I hate those stretches but its worth it. I’m defenitly getting stronger!

Lats

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:
curls4thegirls wrote:
ya a good cut would be good for his looks but if he wants to be a powerlifter looks have nothing to do with it

I was actually jokingly referring to his first Rmp thread which was a total trainwreck…
don’t worry about it…

i must say…the Op does look a lot better now. Keep up the good work
[/quote]

Thanks man

Your chest is NON-existent! Shoulders need serious work. You probably avoid direct arm work. Back looks ok.

good solid base. keep hitting it. make nutrition your religion.

Looking better, keep it up!

I THINK

that as for now, your lift stats arent great for powerlifting. Your deadlift (which you dont seem to know too well…is it REALLY 440 now?) is a nice base. your Squat is a nice base, and your bench is decent.

However, youre not filled out at 185. Actually you seem to be lacking a decent amount of muscle (not talking definition, talking mass. I feel like you arent huge muscularly now at your weight, so bulking? might not be what you need.

So in that case, if we are thinking your lean mass is in disproportion to your bodyweight, then your lifts are probably not so bad for your size.

HOWEVER adding mass up to 220 wont necessarily add you the strength to make you a decent 220lb powerlifter. IMO, you need to switch up your training protocols and not worry about weight.

also rethink your goals. make sure that this is what you are trainng for (powerlifting).

nice traps…

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
Your chest is NON-existent! Shoulders need serious work. You probably avoid direct arm work. Back looks ok.
[/quote]

yea getting my chest stronger and bigger is a top priority. I just started doing inclines and im sure that will help. I actually do do direct arm work but only for 2 warm-up sets and 1 working set.

[quote]gorilla190 wrote:
tribunaldude wrote:

yea getting my chest stronger and bigger is a top priority. I just started doing inclines and im sure that will help. I actually do do direct arm work but only for 2 warm-up sets and 1 working set.[/quote]

always do arms after doing major pushing and pulling exercises ie benches and rows, that way the warm up is done already. for instance after you do heavy benching you don’t need to “warm up” your triceps. It would be a waste of time, but just my opinion.

Ok, I was going to flame the shit out of your post initially, but then understood what you’re really trying to say (which is very different from what actually came out lol).

Thing is, significant additions of LBM that will FILL this guy’s frame out DO NOT COME WITHOUT focusing on gaining bodyweight while at the same time progressing on KEY movements (not necessarily BB bench), unless his muscles had round, full bellies with close attachments. Someone who has FULL triceps for example (like Oliva) can add a lot of size to his triceps even if he doesn;t focus on adding weight at the time.

No one fills out on a single bulk and retains everything on his first (or even 4th cut). In order to gain the mass he needs to fill out his front (which is beyond terrible at this point), he will need to give himself room to add weight, which he CAN since his bf isn;t anywhere near out of control yet.

Otherwise, you are right when you say this guy hasn;t built the muscular foundation for his frame yet. Poor exercise selection is most likely the reason for that (working well for his back width, working somewhat ok for his thickness, useless for his front).

Also yes, a single bulk to 220 may not render him competitive (in fact, WILL NOT). As much as strength training and bbing have in common, people confuse the two. The goal of bbing is to find out what adds muscle to your frame - not necessarily focusing on BB bench, full-range deads and BB squats beyond the beginner and basic-intermediate stages)

[quote]Poetikaal wrote:
I feel like you arent huge muscularly now at your weight, so bulking? might not be what you need.
IMO, you need to switch up your training protocols and not worry about weight.
[/quote]

What do you have pictures up for if your worried about powerlifting? Besides your stats, you should be showing the routine you’ve been working on and the progress you’ve been making.

I think thats a sign your focus is a little twisted. Depending on your age you may have pretty low lifts for a 195lbs. The first thing you should work on is your program. As you get stronger you will naturally gain more muscle.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
What do you have pictures up for if your worried about powerlifting? Besides your stats, you should be showing the routine you’ve been working on and the progress you’ve been making.

I think thats a sign your focus is a little twisted. Depending on your age you may have pretty low lifts for a 195lbs. The first thing you should work on is your program. As you get stronger you will naturally gain more muscle.[/quote]

I just turned 20. What would be good lifts for 195 lbs? I lift raw.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
Ok, I was going to flame the shit out of your post initially, but then understood what you’re really trying to say (which is very different from what actually came out lol).

Thing is, significant additions of LBM that will FILL this guy’s frame out DO NOT COME WITHOUT focusing on gaining bodyweight while at the same time progressing on KEY movements (not necessarily BB bench), unless his muscles had round, full bellies with close attachments.

Someone who has FULL triceps for example (like Oliva) can add a lot of size to his triceps even if he doesn;t focus on adding weight at the time.

No one fills out on a single bulk and retains everything on his first (or even 4th cut). In order to gain the mass he needs to fill out his front (which is beyond terrible at this point), he will need to give himself room to add weight, which he CAN since his bf isn;t anywhere near out of control yet.

Otherwise, you are right when you say this guy hasn;t built the muscular foundation for his frame yet. Poor exercise selection is most likely the reason for that (working well for his back width, working somewhat ok for his thickness, useless for his front).

Also yes, a single bulk to 220 may not render him competitive (in fact, WILL NOT). As much as strength training and bbing have in common, people confuse the two.

The goal of bbing is to find out what adds muscle to your frame - not necessarily focusing on BB bench, full-range deads and BB squats beyond the beginner and basic-intermediate stages)

Poetikaal wrote:
I feel like you arent huge muscularly now at your weight, so bulking? might not be what you need.
IMO, you need to switch up your training protocols and not worry about weight.

[/quote]

yessir. i was attempting to explain that if he is a powerlifter, bulking to 220 is not going to make him competitive, especially at that bodyweight with those lifts

furthermore, bulking and gaining muscle shouldnt be his top priority while powerlifting, and posting a picture to ask how he looks isnt the right state of mind, imo

therefore he seemed to have two goals in much conflict with each other.

thank you for looking a bit deeper into the post, which, as you said, could have been flameworthy