T Nation

190kgs Fat, 186cm Need Tips/Help

anyone wanna make it there mission to help a fatass with a training session? I've been lurking here for 3 weeks and have found a workout. But thought it best to ask...hey might get lucky.

currently doing 6/4/2 reps x 3 sets at 80/85/90% chest/calves(mon) - Quads/shoulders(wed) - Back/Triceps (fri) - Hammys/biceps (sun)

[quote]max_eh wrote:
anyone wanna make it there mission to help a fatass with a training session? I’ve been lurking here for 3 weeks and have found a workout. But thought it best to ask…hey might get lucky.

currently doing 6/4/2 reps x 3 sets at 80/85/90% chest/calves(mon) - Quads/shoulders(wed) - Back/Triceps (fri) - Hammys/biceps (sun)[/quote]

What are your goals?

[quote]furo wrote:
What are your goals?[/quote]
At this point to drop some weight and hopefully get leaner rather than all this fat i’m carrying around.

I think you would do better training full body three times a week. This helps burn more calories per training session and it’s never a bad idea for beginners. There are lots if such programs on this site, use the search engine. On top of your resistance training you can add some cardio.

The problem with most beginner is that they do too much of this from the beginning. Start with 2-3 30min sessions. If/when your weight loss stalls add a little bit more.

Finally, keep in mind that diet may be the most important variable you can manipulate. Your diet has to be consequent with your goals, otherwise you’re just spinning your wheels since no amount of training will overcome a bad diet. Again, lots of articles about nutrition on this site. I personally like Nate Miyaki’s articles but there are lots of great authors who really know their shit.

Best of luck!

[quote]eaboadar wrote:
I think you would do better training full body three times a week. This helps burn more calories per training session and it’s never a bad idea for beginners. There are lots if such programs on this site, use the search engine. On top of your resistance training you can add some cardio.

The problem with most beginner is that they do too much of this from the beginning. Start with 2-3 30min sessions. If/when your weight loss stalls add a little bit more.

Finally, keep in mind that diet may be the most important variable you can manipulate. Your diet has to be consequent with your goals, otherwise you’re just spinning your wheels since no amount of training will overcome a bad diet. Again, lots of articles about nutrition on this site. I personally like Nate Miyaki’s articles but there are lots of great authors who really know their shit.

Best of luck![/quote]

This is exactly what I was going to suggest, I just wanted to check your goals.

I think the 3 things you need to do are:

1. 3 fullbody sessions per week, just focussing on big compound exercises
  2. Get your diet in check - as suggested Nate Miyaki is great - read all of his articles
  3. Some form of cardio, ease into it and do whatever form you are motivated to do. Don’t worry about specifics.

Best of luck with it mate!

What does your diet look like?

[quote]max_eh wrote:

currently doing 6/4/2 reps x 3 sets at 80/85/90% chest/calves(mon) - Quads/shoulders(wed) - Back/Triceps (fri) - Hammys/biceps (sun)[/quote]

Here’s what I think, for what is worth.

Mon chest + Wed shoulders + Fri triceps = over training in no time.

Other then that, eaboardar advice is right on. All due respect eaboardar, I think it may be too much on the joints and tendons.

One other thing OP, take a full body pic in your BVD’S. Then put it away for 3 months, pull it out and repeat the process. That should give you some motivation to get you into the summer when the shirts come off.

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:

[quote]max_eh wrote:

Here’s what I think, for what is worth.

Mon chest + Wed shoulders + Fri triceps = over training in no time.

Other then that, eaboardar advice is right on. All due respect eaboardar, I think it may be too much on the joints and tendons.

One other thing OP, take a full body pic in your BVD’S. Then put it away for 3 months, pull it out and repeat the process. That should give you some motivation to get you into the summer when the shirts come off.[/quote]

I guess it depends on the individual but OP’s on the heavier and not that young anymore side (sorry OP) so you could be right. So, as always, experimenting, evaluating and finding out what works for the individual is a crucial part of the game.

But, in general, I think Total Body 3 times/week is a pretty safe bet and shouldn’t be too hard on the joints if one takes care to variate the movements for each session (e.g. not squatting three times per week) and to assure there are no imbalances (e.g. too much pushing and not enough pulling).

Cheat Sheet would look something like this:

1. Diet by Nate Miyaki

2. Strength Program by Chad Waterbury

3. Add cardio gradually

4. Kick ass and get ready for the best summer of your life

I’d have to say my diet is shocking to say the least. Thanks for all the help and I will definitely check out your List eaboadar, I am very overweight as well and getting on in age. So no offense taken here.

Thanks again all for tips.

doublelung84 I’ll get some pics done :slight_smile:

Start walking a little every day.

No fast food.

Cut out most sugar (my biggest problem)

More vegetables mainly green, fruit

Lean meat.

Drink water and low fat milk

I’m really interested in trying to control my calories intake (daily), but when reading it all on here…I feel so lost. It’s beginning to feel like a struggle just trying to get that and I haven’t even started.

I’ve been looking at Nate Miyaki 7 steps to a flexible diet. Apologies for being such a idiot at this, but please bare with me. So is it (I hope this is right),
190kgs = 418lbs *12 = 5016 Calories a day?
190kgs *1.5 = 285grams of protein?
15-20% fats
include an unlimited amount of non-starchy vegetables and 1-3 pieces of whole fruit for a variety of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients.
Limit carbs to roughly 100 grams a day, primarily from micronutrient dense foods ? an unlimited amount of non-starchy vegetables and 1-2 pieces of whole fruit a day.

I hope this is right as this is what I will be looking at doing. Please say this is right lol.

Alright, not to worry. I know it can get confusing at first but the important thing is that you don’t get paralysis by analysis. It’s way better to do something, even if it’s not optimal, than to do nothing. You already picked a method, which is good, so let’s figure out the details and don’t look back or question whether it’s the absolute optimal or not (at least not for now). That dude knows his nutrition so you’re in good hands.

So following the guidelines of the article:

1. Calories: you are on the heavier side so your calories are best determined using lean body mass instead of total weight. This is done subtracting fat mass (total weight x body fat percentage) from your total weight. So your caloric intake would be Lean Body Mass x 10-12. If you have no way of measuring body fat % you can use your body weight and multiply by a slightly smaller factor. So your calories can be Body Weight x 8-10. In your case this would be 3344 to 4180 calories/day. Let’s start with BW x 8 (3344 calories) and adjust from there

2. Protein: again, it is suggested for bigger guys to use Lean Body Mass instead of Body Weight to get this number. If you don’t have access to this number I’d suggest using the lower factor (1.5) So your protein intake would be 190 x 1.5 = 285 grams of protein/day. there are 4 calories to a gram of protein, so you’ll get 1140 calories from protein/day.

3. Baseline Fat Intake: Around 20% of calories. So for you this would be 3344 x .2 = 668.8 calories from fat. There are 9 calories to a gram of fat so this means approx. 74 grams of fat/day.

4. Account for Micronutrients: This is more of a guideline to keep in mind that you need to include fruits and veggies in you diet, so no hard numbers here. Of course, the calories and macronutrients on these foods count towards your total.

5. Distinguishing between essential and energy nutrients: Since you are likely above 20% body fat you’ll be de-emphasizing carbs.

6. Energy nutrients: So you’ll be limiting carbs to 100 grams/day. There are 4 calories to a gram of carbs, so 400 calories from carbs/day. Now you fill in the rest of your calories with added fat. So you have 3344 total calories - 1140 calories from protein - 668 calories from essential fats - 400 calories from carbs = 1136 calories from added fats = 126 grams of added fats/day.

Putting it all together

Total calories: 3344
Protein: 285 grams. Animal sources are best.
Carbohydrates: 100 grams. Include 1-2 pieces of fruit. Fibrous veggies are “free” so don’t count them
Fat: 200 grams. Avocados, nuts, natural oils, etc. Adjust this number based on progress.

Now you owe me some kick ass “before and after” pictures.

As far as NEPA/Cardio goes I would do this. I’m doing the same and I haven’t ever had the fat melt off my body this quickly.

Currently running it with the 40 day workout and PLP challenge.

As for diet my take on things is the following:

• Use myfitnesspal with an honest assessment of your activity levels and set a 500 calorie deficit.
  • Protein at a minimum of 1.6g/kg from protein shakes, lean/moderately lean cuts of meat, cottage cheese, quark, fish, etc.
  • Carbs kept below 100g from almost exclusively fruit and vegetables. Some wholegrains/oats/etc. permitted as long as yo keep under 100g.
  • Rest of calories from fats. Nuts/cheese/fatty fish/fish oil caps/flaxseed/coconut oil/fatty cuts of meat if your calories allow it. Personally almost all of mine comes from nuts.
  • Meal frequency is irrelevant - I personally go for 2-4 meals a day.
  • Stick with calorie free beverages such as green tea, black coffee, water and some diet sodas.

Supplement wise nothing is compulsory but I recommend some combination of some or all of the following:

• Quality multivitamin/multimineral
  • Fish oil capsules
  • Protein powder
  • Creatine (increased work capacity)
  • Some thermogenic… whether it’s straight caffiene, a complete supp such as HOT-ROX or something like ECA. Will aid in both fat burning and maintaining energy levels.
  • BCAA (for before walks)

For me I float between 85-90kg and have a generally sedentary lifestyle. I also have very limited funds so my day to day diet typically looks like:
1800 calories, 165g protein, <100g carbs (varies), fats vary to make up calories.
Meals 1-3: 2 scoops protein with water, 50g almonds, 1-2 pieces of fruit/veggies.

I’m getting toward the end of a major cut… I kept a pretty detailed log until recently, if any of that helps:
-I started w/ miyaki’s 7 steps, which were good in establishing a baseline, but I needed to adjust to something more aggressive within 2 weeks

-log everything you eat. You can us an app, as suggested above. I use a spreadsheet. You can also simplify by only counting the major macronutrients (ie. 5 oz chicken breast count as 40g protein only, 1 apple counts as 20g carbs only, counts as 13g fat only), with exceptions for things like eggs (6g p, 5g f), avocado/cottage cheese (f/c), and other items that have a more even mix.

The advantage to this is that it makes things easier to track and memorize, so that you can retain this knowledge for food choices in the future, and it forces you to eat clean because it’s easier to track (chicken breasts don’t have much fat, pork butt has a lot). The disadvantage is it’s easy for things like fat to sneak in if you don’t eat clean.

Other things I’ve learned that work for me:
-dairy once a day, I normally get this through 1-1.5oz of cheese for fat/protein or cottage cheese/plain yogurt for carbs/protein
-protein shake 1/day because shakes aren’t really filling… I’m counting periworkout as well, but you could probably not include that
-nut butter limited to 2 tbsp/day
-carbs only periworkout on lifting days
-bread/white potato 1/day
-eggs 1/day (just too high in cals)
-almonds (about 20) 1/day
-stirfried veggies are probably the best way to get your fat and veggies
-carb refeed 1/week

I also eat rice cakes 1/day because it’s one of the few ways to get some crunch into the diet besides almonds or the occasional pretzels (which I count as bread)

[quote]max_eh wrote:
I’ve been looking at Nate Miyaki 7 steps to a flexible diet. Apologies for being such a idiot at this, but please bare with me. So is it (I hope this is right),

I hope this is right as this is what I will be looking at doing. Please say this is right lol. [/quote]
You need a starting point, really any starting point. So, sure, let’s say that’s fine for now. The first trick is to stick with it for the next few uninterrupted months. The second trick is to make smart adjustments on a weekly/bi-weekly basis depending on the progress seen.

Also, understand that you’re a very big guy, so you’re fairly well outside the standard bell curve and not all info will be 100% applicable. At best, it the article info gives you a ballpark to begin with. It’s up to you to tweak as you go.

Maybe try contacting Nate directly (either in his recent article’s discussion area or on Facebook) to get his input on your situation.