T Nation

19 Yrs Old, Need to Lose Weight

I am currently 19 years old and I weigh 250lbs. I have been trying to lose weight for at least for at least 8 months so I can join the Army National Guard. I think I have 29% body fat the last time I checked. From what my friends told me, I lost a lot of weight ever since I graduated high school, because I stopped drinking soda for over a year now, but its not enough. My recruiter puts me on the crazy diets that lets me lose pounds quick, but I gain them right back, and tells me not to touch weights.

I have a decent build for a guy my size. I go to the gym and workout, I play sports, and I can run for long distances, but it seems that I am going no where. Then last night I heard about this site from a guy I just met, and he told me all the good things about this site. After reading some other forums and looking at pictures I see this site can help me reach my goal. So if anyone can give me advice it will be truly appreciated.

Don’t listen to the guy… go ahead and pick up those weights. Building muscle will increase metabolism rates and you’ll burn calories even faster. Faster burning calories more or less means faster losing weight. Eat healthy, lift weights, get good sleep, and continue with your activities, I’m sure you’ll reach your goals.

Read the stickies at the top of the beginners forum. Use the search bar and find John Berardi’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutrition Programs article, and follow it. Lift heavy shit, and you should do fine.

How much weight do you need to lose? if you’re at 250, and you need to drop down to 200, starvation and running is the way to go.

… now, you won’t look good coming out the other end. And it won’t be fun. Or easy. Or healthy. Or good for you. But it’ll get you there faster. Lifting will add muscle (because you probably haven’t done it before), which will increase the amount of fat you’ll have to burn to get to the same weight.

That said, definitely read the beginner stickies, and the Berardi article ninjaboy mentioned. Learning about nutrition will help you greatly. And if you have the luxury of time, lifting weights will help you acheive a better physique. But for quick and dirty weight loss regardless of body composition… do what every 14 year old girl does.

Have a read of this a you’ll understand why your recruiters ‘diets’ don’t work and you end up fatter than before:

www.uihealthcare.com/topics/weightcontrol/weig5297.html

Yeah if you want to go on an extreme starvation diet you can drop weight quickly, but it’s much healthier to try and change your body composition over time. Also this way it’ll more likely be a long term change which you can maintain.

Read the stickies at the top of this forum, search out the nutrition articles (esp Berardi). You need to ramp up your metabolism so it burns fat and at the same time keep or build some muscle then you will look and feel better.

If you can afford it buy berardis book The Metabolism Advantage:

At 19 if you learn good nutritional habits now it will set you up for life.

Keep doing the weights and sports, read up on some programmes on here maybe try Waterbury and Thibaudeau. Read around this site a little, think about what you REALLY want then go for it.