19 Year Old Strength Athlete

Yeah cool man thanks for the reply. I’m same as you BW, your a couple inches taller than me…but my deadlift is pretty shitty…mostly due to neglecting it completely…my sumo is stronger, but I’ve been workin on my conventional. This is the first year I’ve been takin it serious…it’s improving…but nowhere near where I want it (550ish).

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Yeah cool man thanks for the reply. I’m same as you BW, your a couple inches taller than me…but my deadlift is pretty shitty…mostly due to neglecting it completely…my sumo is stronger, but I’ve been workin on my conventional. This is the first year I’ve been takin it serious…it’s improving…but nowhere near where I want it (550ish).[/quote]

Ya, certain people respond differently to deadlifting. Some need to do it a lot to increase it, others can see gains without even deadlifting. I personally need to deadlift to increase my deadlift. 550 is damn good bro, especially for someone our weight…obviously we want to always increase, but to most other people, thats some serious weight.

Yeah see with me…squat has always been good for me. I got a pretty good build for it I think…I want to enter a PL comp. at the end of september (raw) but for me squat seems to go up always if I work really hard with it. I’m lookin for a 540ish squat. with a belt. Currently I do no squats with belt, just been doin reps now 400x10 no belt etc. Goal is 400x15 squat no belt. And tryin to work on 405 bench, around 385-390 right now.

Great job man!

9/10

What does your diet look like on a day-to-day basis?

Well, currently I’m doing the para-workout protocol by CT so that has slightly affected my daily diet, but I am sort of carb cycling. I usually train first thing in the morning and the para-workout protocol starts at 5:15 with Alpha GPC and ends around 8:30 (60 min post training) with 20 grams CH. I then will eat every 2-3 hours following the workout. For protein, if it’s a low carb day, it usually is steak, turkey bacon, and eggs, if it’s a high carb day, it’s chicken, still eggs, and sometimes lean steak. Carbs I really only eat oatmeal, sometimes whole wheat wraps. For fats I eat a ton of natural peanut butter and actual have this stuff called power butter (=amazing), and I drink whole milk and 2 percent milk. So pretty much thats my diet. I eat a good amount, usually coming in around 4000 calories a day. I’m not really looking to gain weight, but I eat a lot, and if I do, I do. I eat for strength and to build muscle and hopefully not put on fat.

That should cover my diet, it’s pretty simple, but it works for me!

What does leg day look like?

OH, btw, you’re solid as hell. LOL forgot to mention that with my question.

So you basically eat when you want to eat? You being so lean, I gotta ask, you focus on metting a calorie goal or what?

[quote]elano wrote:
So you basically eat when you want to eat? You being so lean, I gotta ask, you focus on metting a calorie goal or what?[/quote]

Not exactly. I eat ever 2-3 hours and I carb cycle. I usually put the highest carb days on both leg days, have medium days on my two upper days, and then on the others have low days and jack up the fats. I usually don’t focus on meeting a calorie goal each day anymore, but I used to. There really is no reason for that lol, but I usually get the calories in, and eat clean. I focus more on reaching the certain amount of macronutrients for the day than calories.

[quote]The Greek wrote:
What does leg day look like?[/quote]

I have two lower body days a week. I train on a WS4SB template. The first lower day I have 1 exercise (usually deadlift variation or squat variation) and work up to a 3-5 rep max. Then I do a quad exercise, then a hamstring/posterior chain, and then core.

The second upper day, I choose sort of a strongman endurance exercise, like sled pulling, zercher carries, etc and perform that for time. The rest of that workout is essentially the same as the first.

Very impressive, especially at your age. The quad sweep is definitely a strength, and the overall back thickness just says volumes about your training. Good stuff bro.

S

Thanks for the feedback/compliments Stu.

Killin’ it man. If you’ve got the time and energy I’d be interested in your training set-up.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Killin’ it man. If you’ve got the time and energy I’d be interested in your training set-up.[/quote]

Currently here is what I’ve been doing.
Max Effort Upper Body
Max Effort Lower Body
Lower Body Endurance
Repetition Effort Upper Body

The max effort exercises for upper consist of:
Any Bench Press Variation
Any Overhead Pressing Variation

The max effort exercises for lower consist of:
Any Squatting Variation
Any Deadlifting Variation

On the max effort lower body days, following the max exercise, I perform a unilateral or quad exercise, a hamstring/posterior chain exercise, then maybe an abdominal circuit.

On the max effort upper body days, I perform an upper body repetition exercise (20 reps, 2 sets) following the max, then a back superset, then a traps, then an arm exercise, all doing 8-12 reps.

The endurance lower body day is the same besides the initial exercise. I will perform either a deadlift or squat variation for endurance purposes. This week (tomorrow) I will be doing lactic acid tolerance training with box squats. 15-20 sets of 2 reps with a relatively heavy weight. Other weeks it might be sled pulls for distance/time, squatting for time, etc…whatever it may be, it will involve endurance and it will suck.

The repetition upper body day is pretty much the same as the max upper besides the initial exercise also. I usually perform a pressing variation, pull-ups, push-ups, or dips for 3 sets of maximum reps.

I perform a conditioning workout 2-3 times a week. They vary a lot, but usually involve running, bodyweight movements, and throwing up.

There it is. So I basically follow a modified WS4SB template, but it is always changing. Hope this is what you were looking for bro.

Sick man! what do you typically do for conditioning though…as in for your runnin do you work long distance, or do intervals?

Good work bud. I’ll just say x2 for what most everyone else has mentioned.

I’m digging the chalked hands in your most recent pic after upper body day. I love the stuff.

Keep us posted on any competitions or shows you train for/perform in.

Im really impressed with your legs, im 18 and i really wish i was up there, i stepped on the scale today only to see im a insignificant 157 at 5’ 10

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Sick man! what do you typically do for conditioning though…as in for your runnin do you work long distance, or do intervals?[/quote]

For conditioning I only do intervals. They can be as simple as sprint 40 yards/walk 40 yards (20 times) to various movements (burpees, bear crawls, hops, sprints, etc.) performed in circuit fashion. I do conditioning work with Kettlebells and Barbells (complexes) also. I own a small tire and a sledgehammer and have been using that a lot too for conditioning. Bodyweight drills, sprinting, and high rep FAST weight movements are what my conditioning primarily consists of.

[quote]DouglasJ16 wrote:
Good work bud. I’ll just say x2 for what most everyone else has mentioned.

I’m digging the chalked hands in your most recent pic after upper body day. I love the stuff.

Keep us posted on any competitions or shows you train for/perform in.[/quote]

Haha, ya I love the chalk. I actually think it makes deadlifting and pulling exercises EASIER than straps for some reason…maybe I’m just weird, but it works for me. I’ll definitely keep my participating in any competitions updated and I hopefully will get involved in one this upcoming year. Hopefully powerlifting in either the 198 or 220 class.

[quote]Gilynn wrote:
Im really impressed with your legs, im 18 and i really wish i was up there, i stepped on the scale today only to see im a insignificant 157 at 5’ 10[/quote]

Thank you man, just keep lifting heavy compound movements and eating a ton. A good friend of mine at school went from 155 in september to a leaner 175 just by sticking to compound lifts, and eating big…anythings possible at our age bro.