T Nation

19, Started a Month Ago

Hi any tips would be appreciated 19 year old 70kg 155lbs what should I work on

Add 59 more months.

7 Likes

So you’re young, new and as with most youngsters a lightweight. Your probably doing a lot of bench and curls like we all did which will not help you with the size you need. You’re in your prime to tax the nervous system and focus on building heavy compound lifts. Try the strong lifts 5x5 program. Next, hire someone to put a meal plan together for you consisting of quality foods in a calorie surplus. Grow like a weed.

2 Likes

Right now focus on the compound lifts. Add some arms at the end. Try to get your lifts like squat, deadlift, chin up (with weight), ohp, bench and row up. Get good form, and stay consistent with it. These lifts build a lot of mass, and by doing arms at the end, you can fulfill physique goals.

Keep improving on diet to meet your goals. I don’t advocate people go full bodybuilder diet right away, because most don’t stick to it. Just make the biggest bang for buck diet changes first, and try to keep improving.

I think you should work on bringing up your chest, anterior delts, lateral delts, rear delts, traps, rhomboids, lats, bis, tris, forearms, glutes, adductors, abductors, quads, hamstrings, calves, and let’s throw in tibialis anterior just to be thorough :grin:

What’ve you been doing so far, with training and nutrition?

There’s absolutely something to be said for plain ol’ trial and error, but making sure you’ve got at least a halfway decent plan from the get-go wouldn’t hurt.

Also, for context, how tall are you?

1 Like

About the same age and weight when I got into weightlifting.
I started doing workouts in the gymnastics area of my college. I could do 20 pullups and 20 dips before I ever lifted a weight. I am not saying you need to do likewise, but be sure to incorporate those two exercises in your program.

1 Like

Mostly agree. I think most can find a variation of a pull up that works for them. Neutral and the supinated (the chin up) work for me, but a normal pull up is tough long term on my elbows. Dips, I haven’t been able to do these long term without some sort of issue. I wish I could, but they just don’t agree with me so far. Maybe I’ll try a different grip, or lean, and see if that helps.

At 18 years old, 6’4 and 165 pounds of bone and weakness, I discovered I couldn’t do a single pullup, or even a quarter of one. 13 years and 60 lbs later, I’ve never had a program that didn’t include pullups. Did 100 yesterday. I don’t have a large chest, but my back is respectable and I credit pullups and Chins first and foremost.

Dips I’ve had a long on-and-off relationship with, but once I stopped pinning my scaps back they felt better. I dislocated my sternoclavicular joint a while back so occasionally I get some discomfort there, but all shoulder nagging is gone.

1 Like

155lbs at what height?

Some people really rubbish this - but I think its not a bad starting place. It will work for 3-4 months. And that is all you need to get going.

Congratulations on starting your fitness journey. I remember when I started mine (bench and curls galore).

If I could offer the biggest piece of advice I could ever give, it would be to BE CONSISTENT. Read that again please. BE CONSISTENT.

I have been a long-time reader of this site and there is a wealth of knowledge here. Try to stay away from the noise as there will be 1000 different pieces of advice depending on who you ask. Pick any of the time-tested programs and work them to the utmost intensity. I’m partial to a 3 day, full body split myself.

I hope to hear from you on your journey.

Doesn’t matter though. Why doesn’t it matter???

That’s why!

Pull ups are a fundamental movement. Yeah sure objectively what’s the big deal. You didn’t do well on the self set test.
But likewise I think having these “I will always be strong enough fit enough to do X” goal posts is is a good move.
For example I’ve the identity i will always be able to do 5 pull ups, 50 press ups and squat 1.5x body weight and row 500m in under 120 seconds.