18th Workout clips

Right click and save on each clip to avoid errors!

http://www.members.optushome.com.au...Movies/18Nov03/

eccentric paused squats and paused hang powercleans. Man You can’t believe how painful the slow eccentric reps were, the bottom half of the squat was a killer! Offfff sore my abs and erectors get from the slow eccentric squats! The whole works - especially my intercostals and obliques. Mid back erectors feel it a bit. Off course my glutes are hammered

Just made the last powerclean.

Post workout later

Warmup+ CoreWork

Rest - 30secs alternating between each exercise. 1min between pairs.

Back Extensions x8, +10lbs x8
Incline situps x8, +10lbs x8 with Russian twists to each side at the top.

Plyos

rest 45secs
Low ankle jumps - 2x15
Med ankle Jumps - 2x10
rest 1min
High ankle jumps - 3x5
Short Horizontal Tuck Jumps - 2x5
Low FullSquat Jump on toes - 2x10

Hang Power Clean from Pause

Warmups - Bar x 5, 89x5, 109x3, 129x3
Rest - 2 mins

Lower to an inch above the knee, 2 sec pause, then explode
155lbs x3, 165lbs x3, 175lbs x3

Just made the last rep of 175lbs. Working on my starting strength explosion. Next seesion I’ll go a bit lower, to knee level.
A small PR of sorts, as I have never done this much weight from a static start.

Full Olympic Back Squats - RAW

Warmup sets
Bar x8, 95lbs x5, 135lbs x5, 185lbs x5, 225lbs x5
Tempo 10X0 rest - 2 to 2.5 mins.

275lbs x3, one full squat jump then 315lbs x3

Tempo 62X0 - 245lbs 4x2 - 6 sec down, 2 sec pause, explode up

Alrighty, last week 315lbs was heavy and slow for a single, this week I bagged 3 reps, the first 2 reps were pretty fast, the 3rd stuttered a bit at the sticking point. Short term goal is 5 explosive reps at 315lbs.
Man You can’t believe how painful the slow eccentric reps with 245lbs were, the bottom half of the squat was a killer!

Bits and Pieces
rest - 1min

Bulgarian Split Squats
Tempo 20X0 +14kg in dumbells 2x10 each leg.

Explosive GluteHam Raise on Incline Situp Board
Tempo 20X0 2x5 - using hand to help

Reverse Hypers
Tempo 1010 BW x12

if you are training for speed and explosiveness, then why are you doing slow eccentrics?

Goldberg has a point. While doing slow eccentrics can help with starting strength by minimizing the stretch reflex, doing too much of it can shut down the stretch reflex.

Well it makes you stronger :slight_smile:

Eccentric strength and control is very important for explosiveness. It allows you use the stretch reflex cycle more effectively etc
And what I have noticed is that while I am good on the concentrics, pretty quick, I’m weak as hell on the eccentric. They say everyone is stronger on the eccentric, well generally that is the case, but because concentric, isometric and eccentric are all distinct processes in the CNS, you have to train them all separately but have them work together.

Anyway if you look at Jay Schroder’s training he utilises a lot of very long eccentrics and isometrics. And his athletes sure get more explosive and faster. Look at CT’s advanced programs, lots long eccentrics there too :slight_smile:
I’ve seen a few Poliquin programs for some elite athletes that utilise slow eccentrics, and concetrics for certain purposes.

Like Jay says - before you can exert force, you have to able to absorb it and control it

It also piles on muscle fast - not that I care too much about that :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW my gym moved buildings hence the different surroundings.

err roof is much lower!!
me no likie, want to train at home, but no space :frowning:

I feel you on the low roof deal–I hate that. I honestly think I’m weaker the lower the roof is…no likie either.

Must say slow eccentric squats is a mid torso killer! sore intercostals and obliques!

Cool,

Where can I see Jay’s workouts? I’d LOVE to see them. If you have some, can you drop me a PM ?

Thanks,
Landon

Coolcoj

I think your little camera setup is great. I was thinking of buying one of the new videophones that are out now but am wary of quality. What do you use to record yourself?

Landon -
I have that DVD with Adam Archuleta/Jay training on it. It isn’t a complete expose of his training, but it gives you a taste of his methods. Between that, articles, and general snippets here and there, you can begin to put together a basic picture of the training.
Someone sent me a basic program that Jay gave to him a while back, he wanted me to decipher it for him. At that time I didn’t understand much of it, but now I probbaly could! Pity I no longer have that program. It was a basic program to do before getting into the more advanced stuff. Most of it doesn’t use sets and reps, just timed periods with brief pauses between bouts of exertion. Lots of iso holds and long eccentrics etc.
Someone who is in a football team that is being trained by Jay outlined some of the stuff they do - again - pretty much the stuff he normally does → altitude drops, rebound benches, iso holds up to 7mins! etc
One method I remeber being - staticly holding various exercises for time
hold 5sec rest 5sec, hold 10 rest 5sec, hold 15, rest 5sec, and so on to 40 seconds.
His methods mostly involves absorbing force and creating greater force with drops/catches and plyos etc and combo of iso holds and explosive movements within a single “giant” set.

I’ve been slowly incoporating some of his methods and exercises into my training, and inventing a few of my own with the same ideas in mind :slight_smile:
Off course you should have a basic understanding why things are done the way they are so you can slot them into the right place in the training cycle.

Rick -
I’m using a Fuji F601 digital camera, it records up to 640x480 15fps up to the memory card’s capacity. All the latter Fuji mid end digital cameras are excellent for video. The M603 is best for video, it does 640x480 30fps. As is the F700, but M603 is made for video work, but also does your regular digicam still duties as well. So they are basicly digital cameras that have excellent video capabilities. Pretty small too. Dedicated video cameras do have other stuff like image stabilisation that help when you have the camera in the hand, but mine always sits on things so that is not a biggie.
Also the videos do have quite a bit of compression, detail isn’t that high. So you win some and lose some. But they serve my needs

I do have to edit the raw footage however. They can be a bit too dark or green if the lighting is funny, so they need to be brightened up sometimes and have the green removed.

i just wanted to point something out that i saw (and if you disagree that’s cool). it looks to me like you get your feet to wide when you receive the bar on the hang cleans. from what i’ve seen you want to catch the bar with the feet the same width as on a full clean; you just don’t dip as far (obviously).

Colin - you’re splitting your feet too wide, much wider than you would split if you were doing full cleans. I think the use of slow eccentrics has its place and can be a novel stimulus that in some cases helps to break through plateaus. Good for you for incorporating them into your training.

Excentrics are great for causing hyperplasia (adding new muscle cells)especially if you do them with the proper intensity and volume. Plyometrics on the other hand build explosive strength as well as using the natural elasticity of the muscle to add more explosive force. I think the two work well together - this is the type of training I use in general, but I alternate between periods of intensive plyometrics / PNF stretching and weight training. Right now I’m in an off eason of sorts, so I’m doing pretty much waht Cool’s doing…

Hey guys, that’s how wide I split when I do a squat clean! :slight_smile:
It really isn’t that wide. Maybe looks wider due to the angle?

about 21-22 inches from heel to heel

Hmm damn legs blew up a bit from that session, As if they weren’t big enough already…let’s hope it translates to extra pounds on the bar.

Well I found my flexibility improved from these slow eccentric paused squats - hammie and hips

and CT backs me up :slight_smile:

quoting CT

Christian Thibaudeau
12/05/03
11:24 PM

Definetly! During very long isometrics (we’re talking up to 240 seconds here! But generally in the 60-180 seconds range) the blood flow to the muscle is significantly halted. However, once you relax said muscles there is what is known as reactive hyperhemia: a prodigious increase in blood flow to the muscle. This will greatly help with muscle recovery.

Tony Schwartz, Tom Myslinski and I have been working on a training technique combining very long duration isometrics/eccentric actions in the stretched position to increase flexibility, muscle mass and recovery capacities at the same time! The method will be described in my upcoming pdf book

bling bling

CoolColJ, I see you’ve been thriving off that post of CT’s big time with the post you also did at the Charlie Francis forums!

Somehow, I think you already have that quote on paper and in glass casing o_O

Proof will be in the pudding, bench is rising every so steadily :slight_smile: