185lb Challenge

[quote]Pound4Pound wrote:
I agree. Derek, thanks for having my back but he’s right. How much you can lift has nothing to do with fighting. If you had two equally sized and skilled fighters, then maybe a bit. Other than that…no. I could still kick your ass regardless LOL

[/quote]

OK now you’re BOTH wrong. But it’s cool being on a team! (LOL)

How much size did you gain?

I sort of did. For about 4 months last spring I only trained 4 days/week:

Day 1 - Bench/Row supersets
Day 2 - Deadlifts
Day 3 - OFF
Day 4 - Clean & Press
Day 5 - Squats
Day 6 - OFF
Day 7 - OFF

I never ever went to failure, only took 60 second rests between sets, and did NO assistance work.

Reps looked something like this:

It was the most strength I’ve gained in a 4 month time span but it was mostly excercise related CNS training because although all those lifts went up considerabley, my front squat, incline dumbell bench, side laterals, curls etc didn’t really change, actually went down a bit due to lack of ‘practice’.

[/quote]

I agree. Derek, thanks for having my back but he’s right. How much you can lift has nothing to do with fighting. If you had two equally sized and skilled fighters, then maybe a bit. Other than that…no. I could still kick your ass regardless LOL

[/quote]

So why strength train if you’re in the UFC or other? I better go tell my NHB buddies that they are full of crap.

I recently did 135lb clean and presses for 80 reps in about 20 minutes as a cardio workout. Yes, my heart was pumping. I decided to do it as a alternative to a cardo/weight workout I read about in Milo recently wherein they suggested taking a 100lb stone and picking it up and shouldering it for steady reps over the period of 20-30 minutes. I just substituted clean and press. It was challenging…no strength wise but cardio.

Steve

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
How much size did you gain?
Pound4Pound wrote:

I sort of did. For about 4 months last spring I only trained 4 days/week:

Day 1 - Bench/Row supersets
Day 2 - Deadlifts
Day 3 - OFF
Day 4 - Clean & Press
Day 5 - Squats
Day 6 - OFF
Day 7 - OFF

I never ever went to failure, only took 60 second rests between sets, and did NO assistance work.

Reps looked something like this:

It was the most strength I’ve gained in a 4 month time span but it was mostly excercise related CNS training because although all those lifts went up considerabley, my front squat, incline dumbell bench, side laterals, curls etc didn’t really change, actually went down a bit due to lack of ‘practice’.

[/quote]

ZERO. I was cutting for summer. I went from 12% to 8% while increasing my strength considerably but again it was mostly CNS conditioning to those excercises. I maintained most if not all my muscle though while dropping 4% bf

[quote]derek wrote:
Pound4Pound wrote:

So why strength train if you’re in the UFC or other? I better go tell my NHB buddies that they are full of crap.[/quote]

Re-read this part “…If you had two equally sized and skilled fighters, then maybe a bit.”

Does that answer your question?

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
I recently did 135lb clean and presses for 80 reps in about 20 minutes as a cardio workout. Yes, my heart was pumping. I decided to do it as a alternative to a cardo/weight workout I read about in Milo recently wherein they suggested taking a 100lb stone and picking it up and shouldering it for steady reps over the period of 20-30 minutes. I just substituted clean and press. It was challenging…no strength wise but cardio.

Steve[/quote]

I think I may possibly have a heartattack if I did this right now.

you guys should see bryce lane’s page…he does all sorts of shit like this.

Very applicable for fighters

Applying the edt type shit to exercises… set a certain weight with a certain exercise and you have 5-10min to reach a repetition goal.

Zach Even-Esh does that a lot too in training his mma guys.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
you guys should see bryce lane’s page…he does all sorts of shit like this.

Very applicable for fighters

Applying the edt type shit to exercises… set a certain weight with a certain exercise and you have 5-10min to reach a repetition goal.

Zach Even-Esh does that a lot too in training his mma guys.[/quote]

It makes a lot of sense for fighters.

Damn impressive numbers. I think instead of using 185 for the weight, I could not even get one rep, use about 95% of your bw and clean and press that weight.

etaco wrote:
Strict press or a bit of push?

HOLY SHIT NO!!! Not a bit of a push, a big ass push! I use whatever it takes to get the weight up from rep number 1!!!

Does this mean it’s not impressivee anymore?[/quote]

Technically this would be a power clean and jerk, and yes, it’s still impressive. Power clean and STRICT press would be sick.

To whoever made the “do 185 kg” comment, that is stupid. Max strength is obviously important, but most daily tasks and sports movements (except for strength sports) don’t require a one-time all out one-rep max but repeated efforts of a submaximal weight, i.e., strength-endurance. Obviously, maximal strength is vital to strength-endurance, but strength-endurance is a strength quality all its own that needs to be developed.

[quote]derek wrote:
rholdnr wrote:
Saying he could kick my a$$ because he can do that is like saying that I can beat the shit out of Steve Shepherd because I can do more pushups than him. Idios.

I said he could kick YOUR ass? Where exactly did I write THAT?

If you could do more push-ups than Steve Shepherd, I’d say you could beat him in a push-up contest. Congratulations!

If you are comparing push-ups to Clean&Press for reps, you are the “Idios” or whatever the hell it is you meant.
[/quote]

I apologize for you not knowing the latin root for idiot, I use it frequently because it’s close enough for most people to get it.

[quote]derek wrote:

This is a concept that few seem to grasp (or maybe ass-kicking ability is of no concern). [/quote]

Yes…most of us adults don’t judge ourselves on our ass kicking ability. Normal adults don’t go around get into fights. But hey if your outstanding ass kicking abilities let you get through the day with a happy face then more power to ya.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
Pound4Pound wrote:
etaco wrote:
Strict press or a bit of push?

HOLY SHIT NO!!! Not a bit of a push, a big ass push! I use whatever it takes to get the weight up from rep number 1!!!

Does this mean it’s not impressivee anymore?

Technically this would be a power clean and jerk, and yes, it’s still impressive. Power clean and STRICT press would be sick.

To whoever made the “do 185 kg” comment, that is stupid. Max strength is obviously important, but most daily tasks and sports movements (except for strength sports) don’t require a one-time all out one-rep max but repeated efforts of a submaximal weight, i.e., strength-endurance. Obviously, maximal strength is vital to strength-endurance, but strength-endurance is a strength quality all its own that needs to be developed.[/quote]

Why’s everyone say it’s “stupid” and than say it’s important? I know strength-endurance needs to be developed but that doesn’t mean that I can’t have an opinion as to which is more important.

Thanks for the backup pja

[quote]pja wrote:
derek wrote:
Yes…most of us adults don’t judge ourselves on our ass kicking ability. Normal adults don’t go around get into fights. But hey if your outstanding ass kicking abilities let you get through the day with a happy face then more power to ya.[/quote]

It’s no less important than carrying a licenced, concealed firearm for personal protection.

If you enjoy walking around oblivious to the number of muggings, robberies, break-in, rapes, beatings, roadrage and sensless violence we have in this country go ahead. It’s you and your families life on the line.

By the way, fighting is not all about being an asshole and starting fights. Sometimes it’s important to be able to protect yourself just in case. Crazy, huh?

Also, if you haven’t been paying attention, Ultimate Fighting and No-Holds-barred fighting is becoming more and more popular. I have five friends that compete. That by chance just MIGHT be why ass-kicking ability was mentioned.

Answer this… Did I even mention my ass-kicking ability ANYWHERE?

If I did, show me where. You know, this’d be a whole lot easier if you got it right the next time you try to zing someone.

Just a thought.

[quote]derek wrote:

If I did, show me where. You know, this’d be a whole lot easier if you got it right the next time you try to zing someone.

Just a thought.
[/quote]

You cut out the relevant part of your original quote which I was talking about…and quoted. With regards to the muggings etc…if someone wants to take my money I’m not going fight him for it. That’s just stupid. He can have my money,my shoes anything…except my wife. Then he gets a fight.

[quote]derek wrote:

Just a thought.
[/quote]

you did mention in another thread that if you saw someone burning a U.S.A. flag you would kick the shit out of the person/persons that were responsible for burning the flag…

[quote]pja wrote:
You cut out the relevant part of your original quote which I was talking about…and quoted. With regards to the muggings etc…if someone wants to take my money I’m not going fight him for it. That’s just stupid. He can have my money,my shoes anything…except my wife. Then he gets a fight. [/quote]

I cut out the relevant part? Which part exactly?

Preferring to NOT fight is nice.

Wanting to avoid confrontation is even better. The problem arises when we find ourselves with no other course of action BUT to resist regardless of what we “want” to do. What then?

“Preparing for battle” every day for the rest of your life is worth every ounce of sweat. The one day you need the ability but do not posess it is a day I’d rather avoid.

Anything less is turning a blind eye to reality. For instance…

A have a client. Female, turning 54 in January. On a business trip to Philly, she was mugged (attempted). She was able to fight off her attacker and hang on to her pocketbook even while he dragged her with it across an entire street corner.

You can call THIS stupid as well but the point here is that “you never know” what might happen to you and when.

PS You forgot to tell me where I mentioned my OWN abilities. Hmmm. Imagine that!

[quote]DPH wrote:
you did mention in another thread that if you saw someone burning a U.S.A. flag you would kick the shit out of the person/persons that were responsible for burning the flag…[/quote]

Did you miss where I wrote that I’d use any means necessary? And that I THEN got into an argument where someone decided I must have actually meant I’d kill someone that did it simply because I used the phrase “any means”.

That type of asinine debate does not fly with me. And people telling everyone here what I was really thinking when I wrote what I wrote is equally moronic.

PS I WOULD absolutely kick someones ass if that’s what it took to stop them from burning Old Glory. You better believe it.

(Now is the time you can call me a “tough-guy” or “hard-ass” or whatever.)