185kg Squat -> IPF Legal?

Hi, I’m 3 weeks out from my first meet.

Would these be good lifts? - depth, lockout?, anything else?

First one’s me @ ~76kg: Namguy 185kg Squat - YouTube

This one’s my training partner @ ~72kg: Caleb 182.5kg Squat - YouTube

Thanks!

Both looked good to me.

If you are worried about lockout (both before and after the attempt) practice with commands.

[quote]namguy wrote:

Thanks![/quote]

Your buddy’s depth looks borderline to me. Your depth looks right on. My personal philosophy, especially on the first attempt, bury it!

Your squat was good, but it was hard to see your torso angle with the safety pin. You are meant to be ‘upright’ and with knees locked at the start of the lift, upright i think is 15 degrees? anyway it all looked okay apart from the knees at the start.

Your training partner did look a bit borderline with depth, a judge will pay the benefit of the doubt, but at first glance i could have gone either way. I might have given him a white light, but if he was always squatting like that he may not have got the benefit of the doubt again, judges don’t have the ability to use instant replay. Get the first one well below, and the judges will find it easier to believe you went below parallel on your next attempts when they’re borderline.

[quote]mrodock wrote:
namguy wrote:

Thanks!

Your buddy’s depth looks borderline to me. Your depth looks right on. My personal philosophy, especially on the first attempt, bury it![/quote]

I agree with mrodock.
Dont forget what you wear comes under the rules too (some feds wont allow shorts, but insist on a lifting suit- non-supportive for raw).
Also you need to get used to waiting for the ‘squat’ command and (the one thats easy to forget) the ‘rack’ command, if you’re too quick off the mark you’ll fail despite doing a technically perfect squat.

Good luck in you comp, don’t forget to post how you get on!

Your buddy is about an inch above parallel (wouldn’t have even had to think about it from the chair) and you are pretty much right there on depth. Push you knees out hard at the bottom and you will be right where you need to be for your opener.

Also, remember that the quicker you reverse the less time a judge has to critique depth which is almost always a good thing. You’re a little tentative in the hole so trust those wraps and get some rebound.

Also, IRT locking out at the start and completion of the lift, just squeeze your ass. You should be focusing on this on completion of the lift, anyway.

Good luck.

Make sure you just stand there for a second after you complete the lift. Every time. You don’t want to be in the habit of re-racking immediately upon completion.

Depth - yours was fine, his was borderline.

Locking the knees - you both were pretty wiggly here, tbh. I unrack, walk it out, then make a visible effort to lock my knees and not move after this. I make eye contact with the head ref to let him know that I’m ready and locked. In USAPL, the side judges tell the head judge when your knee is locked and you are ready to go. If one doesn’t think your knee is locked, he won’t tell the head judge to let you go and you’ll stand there sapping strength.

Also, if a side judge says you’re ready, puts his arm down, and then you pop and relock your knee before descending, he can flag you because your initial pop-relock was the “squat”. I’ve never seen it done but I was warned about it in my second meet.

Thanks guys. That was some useful info that I’ll take into my next couple of workouts and the meet.