181lbs, 5'7 20 Years Old

Hi guys, I posted on here before, with this video which is me 6 months ago when I was 172lbs

So now I am posting to show some progress. I am now 181 lbs, so 9 pounds heavier. I am training for powerlifting, my bench is at 325, deadlift 495 x 6, squat best set was 405 x 10 ATG without a belt. Hence the imbalance between legs and upper body lmao.

My first thoughts are that from a BB perspective, cons are my upper chest is lacking. My chest width is pretty terrible despite being fairly thick. And overall my upper body is just a bit small relative to my legs.

Pros my legs, I have a small waist, around 28-29 inches. I think my biceps are naturally pretty solid. I think with time, I can build a lot of mass on my 5’7" frame.

More pictures

Back

Last one

Wow. Awesome wheels. For 20 years old, you have a really “mature” physique.

Out of interest, how long have you been training for and which powerlifting program are you currently following?

By the way, just checked out your YouTube channel. Great vids!

[quote]kgildner wrote:
Wow. Awesome wheels. For 20 years old, you have a really “mature” physique.

Out of interest, how long have you been training for and which powerlifting program are you currently following?[/quote]

Thank you! I think the heavy lifting has really helped get a denser look than some that just focus on light weights. I do an upper/lower split, 3 days upper, 1 day lower. I’m going to make my own 6 week program soon. I follow a mix of programs/ideas. Generally, I always go heavy on legs for 6 rep sets, and for upper stick to bench, overhead press, an upper back exercise like pulldowns, then curls. I have a minimalist style. Focus on progressing the weight rather than volume for volume’s sake.

Well, your legs appear to be very quick reacters… Unless you’ve been running Smolov regularly over the last few years?

[quote]kgildner wrote:
Well, your legs appear to be very quick reacters… Unless you’ve been running Smolov regularly over the last few years?[/quote]

My legs are without a doubt a genetic strong point. I just have a really big lower body structure, I found out my knees were even a full inch and a half bigger than my roommate’s (who also lifts) lol.

But I dont believe in high frequency for legs. I squat one day a week, but that one day is much more intense than anyone I have ever seen squat. I’ve lifted with oly lifters, and squatting everyday or frequently, in my opinion, is not the best route. When I squat, I try to PR every workout, for 3 straight sets of 6. Then do the same for DL with 2 sets.

I dont like to brag about working hard, but a lot of people seem to think frequency = hard work, when it isnt the whole story. I’ve had to work harder than anyone I have ever known to build the strength. Sorry if it seems like I’m ranting, but I’ve heard some oly lifters who try to tell me it must be my genetics, when they go to the squat rack all calm and soft like a baby!

Looking good man, not really in a position to give advice but your upper chest and traps could be a bit larger.

Any chance we could get a breakdown of your daily diet?

[quote]ChrisH19 wrote:
Looking good man, not really in a position to give advice but your upper chest and traps could be a bit larger.

Any chance we could get a breakdown of your daily diet?[/quote]

Thank and I totally agree with that. Upper chest has been something I’m working on a little here and there. Looking back at the pics I think my traps look a lot worse than normal because of how bright the lighting is on that area. I dont have massive traps by any means, but I def think these pics arent the best for showin em.

To be honest, I dont have a daily diet. I eat a lot of protein, typically a couple whey shakes a day. I eat some egg whites and grilled chicken when I can. But I also eat 2 bowls of cereal and milk (skim milk) everyday lmao. Pretty much just try to eat healthy, rarely ever eat pure sweets.

I’m jealous, man. I need to get that leanness down. As I get older (30) it gets harder to stay where I’m at, but I’ll accept the challenge. Thanks for the inspiration.

[quote]matejoh wrote:
I’m jealous, man. I need to get that leanness down. As I get older (30) it gets harder to stay where I’m at, but I’ll accept the challenge. Thanks for the inspiration.[/quote]

Hey I am sure you can do it! To give you some real inspiration my father is 59 and has a 6 pack! He is more strict that I am about supplements and following a BB routine. But it shows that all you need to make some adjustments, and I believe you can get it done! And remember, your bodybuilding prime in terms of strength is usually mid to upper 30s, so you are still a youngin by those standards.

I do have to admit it is nice being able to be lean year round without having to worry about tracking calories lol. I think people forget to just be an athlete sometimes. Playing basketball, doing some sprint workouts, box jumps ect in my free time definitely helps. Of course I do have more time being a college student. But thanks I hope I can help inspire in some way shape or form!

Hey man, great physique, great strength. You could probably do some damage at a pl meet. We need more guys like you posting on this site