1800+ Raw Total And 800+ Deadlift Drug Free 181 Class

I use it as an anti inflammatory. Really helped when my shoulder was giving me problems. Now that it feels good I think the fish oil and flex keep three pain from coming back. Now I only take cbd oil when something is bothering me more than normal.

1 Like

Yesterday I close grip benched up to 315x3 and 330x2. Forgot what else I did

Today I pulled up to 660x6 almost had 7 but my lower back rounded. 660x7 would be a best for that many reps I believe. Then hit 705x2. Figured I’d do a 3x8 with 415-420 on squat but was pretty tired so settled for 420 for 2 sets of 8.

2 Likes

Form breaking down. Deload to 135 and work on maintaining position.

But actually was this because you lost position or weren’t strong enough to maintain it or needed to compensate for fatigued quads/glutes/hams to get off the floor?

Just fatigue. Still a little beat up from the 575 squat. And did some front squats that felt terrible two days ago. I have a clip I’ll post. Got the failed rep to just under the knees.

Looks like you are on track to total 1800+ in wraps right now. What exactly did you do for your squat to suddenly make some big gains like that? Not long ago your knee was fucked up and now you are setting big PRs, I don’t get it. I would say 600 would be a conservative 3rd attempt in sleeves at the moment.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’d be at 1800 just yet. I had a problem in the hole and since correcting that my squat has shot up. (Pointed feet straight keeps me from going way too deep) I wouldn’t say 600 in sleeves yet but in wraps it may be there on a good day. I also went back to what gave me the best results for squat and that was hitting one big set each time at rpe 9 ish with 1-10 reps and keep trying to beat it in some way. Same weight and reps easier or an extra rep or a few extra lbs for the same amount of reps. Shooting to break the one that seems easiest.

At the moment on a good day id say I could go about 600 in wraps/380/765-770. So about mid 1700. I just changed deadlift a little and going to see how it works. Almost got a rep pr today and didn’t feel like a very good pull day

2 Likes

I guess it depends on how you peak and how you respond to peaking, if that was me I would be confident in squatting 600 in sleeves in a meet right now. Also if you plan to cut weight that’s a different story.

I know we already had a discussion about wraps before so I won’t push the issue, but really with a stronger pair or wraps and sufficient practice in them you should easily get 50lbs on your squat.

2 Likes

https://instagram.com/p/BtjjidUA6ew/

2 Likes

Yea I just hate them so much lol. I’m terrible at peaking for meets but if I hit it in the gym I can most times hit it in a meet. I see a lot of people lose like 20-50 lbs on a lift when they compete. I’m never that way.

For myself it seems like peaking adds a good bit to my squat and deadlift but not so much for my bench. So far I have never exceeded gym PRs on bench in a meet. It could be that a different peaking strategy would work better for bench, like doing a little bit more work the meet before the week.

If you don’t know how to peak properly you should learn, it can definitely make a difference. The basic idea is that in the month before the meet you gradually reduce assistance work (but some is probably a good idea) and for the main lifts you would do top sets of 1-3 reps, you can do some lighter volume work but keep the reps low on that too. Basically, the focus is on heavy lifts at 85%+ and enough total volume so that you don’t start losing muscle, because that can happen for sure. Guys who take the appropriate supplements can get away with a lot less volume, like Malanichev doing one work set and nothing else, but for the rest of us that won’t work.

I don’t think I’d ever do that. I’ve had about 11 years of lifting to figure out my buddy and id lift better coming off a normal weekly routine than tapering volume.

1 Like

So what do you normally do in the last few weeks before the meet? You would still do AMRAP sets and stuff like that?

Mike Tuchscherer was talking about different peaking strategies, he said that some people don’t respond well to normal peaking (which is along the same lines as what I described) so he has people train like normal right up to the meet. Of course that would include some work over 90%, but no taper week and volume stays high. It seems at odds with what everyone else does, but I suppose it can work for some people.

1 Like

I usually lift normal up to about a week out I try to pull my second attempt or close to it for a smooth double, 5 days out I’ll try hit my second attempt on squat fast, and three days out I’ll hit something between my opener and my second attempt on bench for a fast paused single.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a pretty aggressive peaking strategy. What I have done since my first meet is last heavy deadlift the week before, the week of the meet I work up to my squat and bench openers on Monday or Tuesday (depending on if I lift on Saturday or Sunday) and then up to 80% two days later. Some people have told me that sounds like too much but it works for me, if anything I could go a little heavier on bench and maybe do a couple more singles. A lot of guys take the whole week off and do no lifting at all but I don’t see that working for me, if I have a light deload I don’t come back at full strength so I don’t see how this would be different.

Greg Nuckols has an article called “Tapering and Peaking: Why and How”, it might be worth checking out. The thing is that there has been a lot of research over the years into how to maximize performance so it’s not like this is a bunch of nonsense, the only thing is that not everyone responds the exact same way so it’s possible that what you are doing is in fact the best peaking strategy for you.

3 Likes

Really interesting reading other peoples peaking strategies so thanks for the insight you 2!

I hit all my last heavy lifts between 7-12 days out and the week of the meet is just light work to keep the groove of things.

I won’t change that routine. I may not hit a 20 pr on the platform but as long as I can hit what I do in the gym I’m happy.

But cumulative fatigue though… if only you rested a day you could pull 900. Trust me I’m an online coach

5 Likes

Been covering a lot of ground looking for shed antlers now that deer are dropping them. Squats were ok but not what I wanted and walked out after them. Id say a week or so and I should be used to all the walking Ands lifts will be back to normal.

3 Likes

Kept squats lighter yesterday with 405 for a paused at of 10.

Today I benched up to a paused 380 single which was more grindy than I’d like. Also hit weighed Pullups sets of 5 up to 101lbs in kettlebells. Almost got 6 with 101 lbs.

https://instagram.com/p/BtyXvmrgbR1/

3 Likes

Don’t know if I’m going to post the clip yet but pulled a big deadlift with uncalibrated plates today while prepping for the Arnold. Funny this is my lower back is pretty beat up from forcing some squats about 4-5 days ago when my legs were tired. Warm ups did not move well and I’ve pulled 675 on calibrated plates faster than the 675 I pulled in the uncalibrated on the way up. Hopefully that mean possibly more at the Arnold than I thought. Followed with squats 420 for a set of 12 with 2 reps in the tank. I got messed up bad counting at 9 and 10 but luckily a buddy was watching and counting.

4 Likes