1800+ Raw Total And 800+ Deadlift Drug Free 181 Class

Lol thanks guys

I’ve never used the “looking thick, tight, solid” copypasta before but this is the most tempting occasion I’ve had for it so far. Outrageously mighty.

2 Likes

I’ve never looked so big in a picture. I only weigh about 5-7 lbs more than I have in the past 2 years.

Hey Vince, I see you are having some issues with your deadlift. I just thought that maybe I can give you some suggestions that might be useful. I remember a while back you said that you hurt your back squatting so you stopped pushing that for a while and then your deadlift started to take off. Unless you really can’t push both lifts at the same time you could try setting up your training differently, it could be a recovery issue.

David Douglas, who is coached by Josh Bryant, was having some similar issues and was alternating heavy squat one week and heavy deadlift the next but that didn’t solve the problem, what ended up working was squatting and pulling heavy the same day and then doing lighter work and assistance on another day. So a heavy top set of squats, maybe a couple lighter down sets and then same thing on deadlift. Blaine Sumner does essentially the same thing, ME squat and deadlift every week and then speed work for both on the second day. You have to deadlift after squatting in a meet so it makes sense to do that in training, obviously don’t fatigue yourself on squats so much that your pull takes a hit.

In your case you have a strong squat but it’s your deadlift that has the potential to break records, unless you have the potential to set a total record or win a big meet then it would only make sense to prioritize your deadlift. You’re at a level where a hard session is going to take longer to recover than for the average lifter so looking at prioritizing recovery could make a big difference.

2 Likes

Jesus Christ you look huge

1 Like

I actually do hit both on the same day. First is heavy deadlift and medium weight /rep squat , second time is heavier squat low rep and speed work on deadlift (still fairly heavy). Third squat day is usually depending on how I feel. I think I am/was hitting too much volume recently with squat but it’s felt so good lately that I’ve wanted to see where it goes. But i also want to try to break the wrapped total along with the deadlift. Some of my shitty lifting lately was definitely a lack of motivation, as of the last week i now have a buddy training with me so lifts should start moving

What I was talking about is doing the all the heavy squatting and deadlifting on the same day and just doing some speed work and assistance the other day (or two if that’s how you set it up), not really accumulating too much fatigue except on the one heavy day rather than beating yourself down multiple times a week. I imagine reducing squat volume could accomplish the same thing, but if that’s what is pushing your squat up then maybe it’s not so bad.

Anyway, I don’t mean to be preaching to you, you are pretty far ahead of me at the moment.

1 Like

I’m always looking for info to push my lifts along. I’m constantly trying out new things seeing what works. Two of my squat days are low 400s and one in the upper 400 to mid 500. I think my squat is still low enough that as long as I’m not hitting multiple sets a day I should be good. I was doing like 6x3 with 470 in one day. Now i may hit 475x4-6 in one set and be good for more in two days

The only other suggestion I have is that if you are looking to hit some big numbers in wraps then it wouldn’t hurt to start doing a bit of work in them well before the meet. I’m trying to squat in wraps these days and what I have realized is that it isn’t quite as straightforward as I expected. Not only finding an appropriate set of wraps for the way you squat that will give you the most carryover, but also learning to squat properly in them because wraps with a lot of rebound will throw your hips back if you aren’t used to them and hitting depth can be an issue.

In my case I’m looking at doing another meet in the fall, right now I’m just doing my last warmup and one work set of about 4-5 reps in wraps and also trying to figure out which wraps are going to work best for me. Once I get things sorted out I could be squatting 600 pretty soon. If I was more confident and experienced with wraps then maybe I would only start using them around 2 months out but that doesn’t really give me much time to practice.

I only used them a handful of times because I am terrible at self wrapping. My buddy im training with knows how to wrap so I may ask him. I would like to get more time in them if I could.

I don’t claim to be an expert, I’m new to wraps myself, but it seems to me like just practicing wrapping yourself is the easiest way to learn. I was terrible at first and couldn’t get them tight, now I can wrap them so tight that I don’t think I could stand someone wrapping me tighter. Even if you have someone to wrap you it wouldn’t hurt to be able to do it yourself in case you get stuck alone one day, right?

Anyway, it looks like me and you are the only two guys on this forum squatting in wraps so maybe we could exchange some information. It seems like there is a lack of useful info on knee wraps online. We both have similar squat styles, quad dominant with a medium-narrow stance so the same thing could work for both of us. So far, the wraps I have tried are Inzer Gripper, Pioneer Guardian, and the red Slingshots. The Grippers are only a 2m pair but mostly it felt like they stopped me towards the bottom and didn’t give much rebound. The Guardians have some decent rebound if you wrap them tight as hell but every time you hit the hole it feels like a dog biting your leg, aside from that they are somewhat easy to squat in and hit depth. The Slingshots give rebound but too much stopping power, I find it hard to hit depth in them.

I just got a pair of Titan Signature Gold the other day, I didn’t squat in them yet but I tried wrapping my knees and can only get 6 revolutions (this is a 2.5m pair) vs. 7+ in the slingshots and 9 in the Guardians. These ones are stiff as hell but they have quite a bit of stretch, the elastic is just strong as hell. I decided to try these after seeing a few people recommending them online, Jay Nera actually compared them against the red Slingshots and said that the Slingshots are good for someone with a wide stance who needs a lot of stopping power while Sig Golds are all about rebound, Bryce Krawczyk also recommended the Sig Golds if you are going to wrap your own knees because you don’t need to get them too tight to get some decent rebound. I will let you know how things go on Tuesday with them.

Other wraps I hear good things about are the Phantom and Lilliebridge wraps from Pioneer, although the Phantoms apparently have a lot of stopping power so it’s likely that they won’t work for me. Also Titan Titanium are supposed to be good, especially if you have a fast descent, they are supposed to have lots of rebound and stopping power. I decided against those because in my case I don’t really want much stopping power at all.

1 Like

Everytime I wrap myself it bothers my knees. I need to look wrapping technique up again. I appreciate the info on the wraps. I think there is one thread about wraps here. As far as people on here that use wraps, I don’t think many even compete. Or at least not often. Shoot I only do 1-2 a year. I don’t like to use wraps but they add a little too my total so I figured I’d use them.

Been tearing up the entire upstairs of my house to redo it so haven’t posted lifting the last two days. Here’s 415x8 paused on squat

https://instagram.com/p/BjSCim8Boo1/

1 Like

I have only been doing one meet a year, this year I’m looking at doing a second one. I see no point in competing all the time and not getting better, some guys do 4-5 meets a year and don’t get a PR, I don’t get it unless someone is paying you.

I only got the idea to squat in wraps since I decided to stop competing in CPU/IPF and wraps happen to be an option in other feds. The wraps felt horrible at first, even not wrapped too tight, but after a few weeks I got used to it and now I kind of like them. Also I’m not far from some drug tested WPC records, so that is something to strive for.

As far as wrapping technique, what I have been doing is the technique recommended by Sheiko in his article “What is my favourite knee wrap technique? The cross.” on his site. Depending on the length and stretch of the wraps you can vary the number of times you go around the knee and add an extra cross, like with the Guardians I can get two crosses. At first I was just doing the basic spiral method but that puts a lot of wrap behind the knee and increases stopping power, the crosses over the knee seem to add rebound and minimize how much is behind the knee. There are lots of different ways to wrap your knees, I figure if Sheiko recommends this it is probably as good as it gets.

1 Like

Benched today. Weight moved well for using the low bench I’m not used to. Hit a heavy single followed by some Slingshot singles

Bench
135x3, 165x3, 195x3, 225x3, 255x3, 295x1, 330x1, 365x1, 385x1

Slingshot
405x1, 420x1

Db row
100s 3 sets of 10

Db shoulder press
35s, 45s, 55s each a set of 15

Pull ups 3 sets of 10

Some tricep work, high rep.

1 Like

I tried out the Titan Signature Gold wraps today, I like them. Lots of rebound, not too uncomfortable either, and not nearly as much stopping power as the Slingshots. The Slingshots kind of bind up all of a sudden when you are close to depth, these ones don’t really do that. The rebound seems better than any of the other wraps I have tried. I also manage to get 7 revolutions out of them, I don’t think I could get 8 without someone wrapping me and I don’t really want them any tighter than this. I did 455x5, could have done another two, the point here is just to do some technique work and save the straining for the high rep stuff I’m doing.

So out of all the wraps I have tried I would recommend these. As far as Titan, the Titaniums might be good if you have someone to wrap your knees (they are very stretchy apparently) and the other ones are either lighter or ridiculously stiff (THP) with not much rebound and all stopping power. Other than that, Pioneer Lilliebridges might be worth trying but I like these ones and I’m going to stick with them for now. Definitely the best first impression of any wrap I have tried.

1 Like

Thanks, I probably will never really get into wraps enough to try different brands. As long as I get 20-30lbs out of them for now I’m happy. And I laid off the heavy squat volume and intensity at least one of the 3 days I squat. This week (today) pulled one of my best sets ever I believe. It gets hard to remember over time. 685x5 with mostly calibrated plates and a pair of gym 45s. Absolutely smoked the set possibly had a 6th in there but didn’t want to push it.

2 Likes

I never really had the intention of trying a bunch of different wraps either but the slingshots were making it hard to hit depth and the Guardians didn’t have the greatest rebound, after using the slingshots for a while I realized what I could potentially get out of wraps so I wanted something stronger that won’t fuck me up on depth and it looks like I found it. Realistically, I think I could get like 50lbs. out of them if I can improve my descent, hitting the hole faster will give more rebound.

Which wraps do you use?

That’s some crazy deadlifting there, I don’t even know what to say. What is the all-time record you are trying to break? USPA is supposed to start running some big drug tested meets with cash payouts like the US open, only the top prize will be around $10,000, when that comes around you should go for it.

1 Like

I’m not positive it’s a red and black 2.5 meter. I would have to check it out later. I think inzer of some kind. If uspa did that, that would be awesome. Is definitely get in that. I’m after coans tested deadlift at 181. 766, I’ve pulled 775 in the gym already but I want to build up to where 771 is a second then give 800 (closest kg conversion) a run possibly more. It’s feeling strong again. I’m going to do a quick log entry tomorrow with a clip of the pull.

4 Likes

So you’re not really looking to break a record, you’re going to kill it and bury it. I was looking at some drug tested records in IPL and WPC (both have Canadian affiliates) and they are way behind untested records and even IPF records are mostly ahead too. It makes me wonder how many people are really cheating in the IPF, must be a lot. I had some issues at my last meet but if I can add about 60lbs to my squat I can get the AWPC 242 squat record. Maybe not many good drug free lifters want to compete outside the IPF, I don’t see why though. As far as the USPA and drug tested meets with a good payout, the downside to that is it will give an incentive to cheat. Don’t have a shot at winning the US open? Maybe it could happen in the tested meet. They need to bring back public flogging.

I’m not going to push you to do anything with wraps, you already said you don’t want to try a bunch of different brands, but if those are Inzers then they are pretty weak. I have a pair of the wrist wraps (they are called Iron Z), they are soft and stretchy which is maybe OK for wrists but for squatting you are barely going to get anything out of them, even grippers are way better. Just something to consider.