T Nation

18 Yrs Old, Low-Average Testosterone

Hello,
I think my low-average testosterone is causing my symptoms so I’ll post some details here and hope you guys can help me out.

height: 6’3"

waist: about 30 inch

weight: 175 lbs

describe body and facial hair: My facial hair is very thin but still improving. My body hair is different in every area. I have a lot of hair on my legs, a lot of pubic hair and on my belly I too, but not much hair under my armpits (until the age of like 15 I had nearly nothin under my armpits and I was worried about it then). I also have not that much chest hair but when I see others at my age it is common. I DO however think I’m going bald (my father is also bald) and you can see it on my head also.

describe where you carry fat and how changed: I always carry a lot of fat on my upper legs and ass. In my upper body I store fat in almost every place equally but I never look really fat (more skinny-fat so it’s hard to describe)

health conditions, symptoms [history]: since puberty I have very dry hands (like I’m wearing red gloves), I’ve always been tired and had no concentration and I’ve been really depressed at times. When nothing bad happens in my life I feel o.k but life is a drag to me. When something like a breakup happens I really feel like I want to die and I can’t handle bad things in life at all. I’m also very grumpy and even agressive when I’m at home but anxious when I’m around people I don’t know that well…

lab results with ranges: I only had my testosterone measured and it was 16,6 nmol/L. The doctor said it’s fine but I can’t believe it because I’m only 18 (17 at the time he measured it).

describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets]: I eat a lot of proteins and healthy fats. I eat tuna everyday, a lot of cow/chicken meat on my bread and I drink a lot of milk.

describe training [some ruin there hormones by over training]: I train 3 times a week and I do compound exercises only (stronglifts 5x5)

testes ache, ever, with a fever?: I do feel like my testicles hurt at times but not very often

how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed: I’ve never had problems with my erection and I feel like my libido is high. I must say that I never wake up with a morning wood unless I need to pee though.

I hope you people can help me with this. My doctor says I’m fine but I’m sure it’s my testosterone.

At your age, it is important to find the real problems, because low-T is a symptom. Do not get tunnel visioned on testosterone.

Please start by re-reading the advice for new guys sticky and note the causes instead of the effects.

Need the ranges for lab results.

Needed labs:
TT
FT
E2
DHEA-S
LH/FSH - to determine if primary or secondary!!!
prolactin
TSH, fT3, fT4
fasting cholesterol
fasting glucose
AST/ALT liver markers
CBC

Also see the ‘thyroid basics’. Post your waking and mid afternoon oral body temperatures, show degrees F as well. And describe history of iodine intake from iodized salt and/or vitamins that list iodine.

Any thyroid problems in your family?
Is your neck thick around your thyroid/larynx? Asymmetrical? Feels lumpy?

A diet that is high in tuna can also be high in mercury. You can get tested for that.

Do you have different skin pigmentation in different body areas?

Your hair loss may be from thyroid or other issues.

KS nailed it.
Those symptoms sound a lot like thyroid.
A few other labs:
Vitamin D
B-12
Cortisol
ACTH
Thyroglobulin AB and TPO AB

Low body temps would reenforce the need Thyroglobulin AB and TPO AB. You can get temperature data quickly.

The doctor also said it could be thyroid so I tested my TSH, T4 and T3 a few days ago but I’m still waiting for the result. I don’t feel anything in the area of my troath, nothing weird I think. I don’t knof if there are any hormone problems in my family because I don’t know anybody who ever tested any of their hormones.

I will let you know about the TSH T4 and T3 though and I’m going to ask my doctor if he can test all of the above. my skin pigment is the same on my whole body by the way. I don’t know what causes my problems but isn’t 16,6 nmol/l testosterone bad anyway or is it all about the balance between hormones?

Need range for: “16,6 nmol/l testosterone”
Was the free or total?

fT3, fT4 preferred, not T3, T4

I only had T3 and T4 measured (my doctor wanted to know these). My doctor didn’t say the 16,6 nmol/L was free or total but I think total. The range was between 12 and 35 nmol/l according to him. I know I’m considered “normal” but it seems too low for an 18 year old, right?

[quote]John_Lennon wrote:
I only had T3 and T4 measured (my doctor wanted to know these). My doctor didn’t say the 16,6 nmol/L was free or total but I think total. The range was between 12 and 35 nmol/l according to him. I know I’m considered “normal” but it seems too low for an 18 year old, right?[/quote]

Everybody’s different. That may be right for you. You don’t mention any symptoms that are specific to low T.

By the way, was it a morning of afternoon blood draw? In young men morning levels can be about double afternoon levels, and it is morning levels that should be used for diagnostic purposes.

It was at about 8 o clock in the morning and the test was done in may (I heard that test levels should be highest in may or something). I’m also very worried because I can’t seem to build significant muscule or burn fat like other guys do even though I’ve been training for over a year now I have little results…

Those symptoms can be thyroid related.

We always need lab ranges, do not keep such things secret.

My doctor found out that my thyroid isn’t working properly so he gave me pills that should help me feel better. I hope it helps, if not I’ll be back. Thanks for helping me out anyway!

That simple?