T Nation

18 YO Aspiring PLers Squatting 420x5

this is me 5’8 198

this is my good friend and occasional training partner BJBIGS 6’0 210

BjBigs

idk why its not working

good lifts

nice lifts man,

Are you just showing what you got? or are you looking for feedback?

Feedback lol i tried putting up another video of my friends squat but its not uploading

Awesome squats man. Powerful hips, glad to see a quality looking squat rather than some of those ugly good morning squats some people do. You stay nice and upright with great speed. You would probably make for a solid oly weightlifter as well as a powerlifter

thanks, i do have kind of a narrow oly style squat and would love to learn some of the lifts but i really dont know anyone that could teach me. i really havent even met anyone that knows how to clean or snatch. they would prob assist the powerlifts too so i am def interested in learning.

btw does anyone know how to upload another video onto the thread

hopefully its working…

Damnnit!!

I think you can just copy the youtube link and it embeds it for you. Good lifts BTW.

Just realized you didn’t use youtube…forget what I said then except for the good lifting part.

Hey man, once again I really like your squats, so take all the improvements I see with a grain of salf

What I like :

focus - you don’t get stupid fired up, you’re right on the edge, and that’s where you need to be, to be able to work as hard as you can, but keep solid form.

Big air- you get a nice deep breath before all your reps.

head position - you lead with your head every rep, goes a long way to keeping you upright

Knees forward - this is the big reason why you’re so upright, and also why you get out of the hole so well. It loads the quads, and gives a good stretch reflex

Rack position - you’ve got your shoulders pulled together nicely

What I feel you can improve on:

Belly air - you take a nice big breath, but you don’t seem to be pushing against your belt, this will really help once you get the hang of it.

Walk out - I feel you can make this more controlled and tighter, try to get it to 3 steps, I use a split stance pick up, and it makes 3 steps very easy.

Depth - all of your squats LOOK high, I’m not saying they are high, but they all look that way. I’d get another camera angle just to check. Don’t leave it up to training partners, get the video so you know for sure. YOu’re getting some hamstring calf contact, so they can’t be very high though

Low bar- this is the main reason I feel your squats are high. Low bar with knees that far forward makes it very difficult to get depth, with how upright you are, and how far your knees are going forward, it’s simply really hard to get depth as your body has nowhere to go.

you really have 2 options 1- go higher bar, no high bar, but moderate bar, and you should be able to get down easier, or 2- sit back a bit more. I hate having to tell someone to sit back, but it looks like you’re going straight down, try sitting in between your legs, Push your knees out, and a pocket opens up and you can feel where to go. You may lose a bit on your squat doing this, but it will come back once your quads adjust.

Try building up your front squat, ass to grass, and that will really help teach you form to sit between your legs as well as build up your quads that will need some help.

Overall, you’re hella strong, not just for an 18 year old, but for anyone. If you want to compete, get that side angle,from fairly low, and make sure your squats are in there. It may take some experimenting with 365-405 for singles to really get the hang of it. But just do whatever it is you have to do, your numbers might go down, but there’s a dignity in that if you’re changing your form for the better.

Let me know if you have any questions.

and upload your training partners vids to youtube.

[quote]RomanianRock wrote:
thanks, i do have kind of a narrow oly style squat and would love to learn some of the lifts but i really dont know anyone that could teach me. i really havent even met anyone that knows how to clean or snatch. they would prob assist the powerlifts too so i am def interested in learning.

[/quote]

I personally found the oly lifts to be a lot of fun, but I also made the mistake of trying to do too many things at once, where I should have just chosen one sport and stuck with it.

I was trying to be a powerlifter and strongman at the same time, doesn’t sound bad, but both are very demanding, and I just did both mediocrely.

Id rather see someone with your potential build yourself up to 220 and squat 600 and focus all your energies on weight gain and squatting huge. I think you’d be stupid strong at 220.

But, it has to be fun too, so take what I say with a greain of salt.

i would like to add the following video. you seem to have little difficulty with technique. squatting wide stance has been hard (for me) but i think if you manage it, you will squat bigger weights. just a thought.

edit for video

[quote]Xanes wrote:
i would like to add the following video. you seem to have little difficulty with technique. squatting wide stance has been hard (for me) but i think if you manage it, you will squat bigger weights. just a thought.

edit for video[/quote]

I agree with the above. Very strong, great lifts. Learning to go slightly wider may help with heavier weight and a deeper squat.

thanks for the advice, i used to go wider but a hamstring injury forced me to switch to a more narrow stance. i usually dont have any problems hitting depth but this 5rm was actually a week after my comp and a few days after maxing my front squat and i was having a weird glute pain at the bottom so i wasnt going down as low as usual.

also about the front squats- i plan to start front squatting once a week after my dls so that should help me get depth and recruit quads as you said and also strengthen my back for the dl.

also, what do you guys thinks about the knees going forward? ive been told that its bad,wears them down, ill have problems in the future,ect.

ive never had pain and i feel that it helps use my quads and i lift much more powerfully that way.

thanks

[quote]RomanianRock wrote:
also, what do you guys thinks about the knees going forward? ive been told that its bad,wears them down, ill have problems in the future,ect.

ive never had pain and i feel that it helps use my quads and i lift much more powerfully that way.

thanks[/quote]

It’s fine and actually good man, anyone who says different is a douche, end of story.