T Nation

18 Years Old, Total T 189 ng/dl

What could be the origin of this?

You need to post more details,more complete labs. Look at stickies please.
Low t can be from various things, usually the pituitary not producing enough LH(pituitary tumor, head injury) or testicles failing.

18 years old. Male. 177 pounds. 5’ 11". I’m what is considered “skinny fat”. I’ve gained a few punds of fat the last 4 years. I would estimate my body fat to be around 18-19 percent, so not very good but not awful either. When I was younger I was very active >15. After 15, I stopped doing any physical activity other than P.E for school. I generally spend most of my day sitting in a computer chair (It has been that way for the last 3 years). My diet is not awful, but it is not good by any means. Decent amount of meats, milk, but also a LOT of sugar (specially coca cola/pepsi every week).

Okay. So the sympthoms of low t started around 3 years ago. I list a few:

Deppression

Low energy

Brain fog

Awful mood

Suicidal thoughts (Not in the way ‘I want to kill myself’, more in the sense of ‘If I die today, I don’t care’)

And the two that have gotten substantially worse the last 2 years to the the point that I started to think I had ADD.

Difficulty concentrating

Short term memory loss

After years of all this, I finally opened up with my parents about all this issues. We then decided to visit the family doctor.
I ask the doctor about blood test, including a hormonal test. I take the blood test, when I receive it I notice the hormonal test is only thyroid. When I show the doc my blood test he tells me that all is fine, then I ask him ‘What about t and estrogen levels?’, he dismissed my concerns, tells me that I am young and that I shoulnd’t worry about it.
I don’t care what the doctor said about me not having t issues, I decided to take another blood test. The results came at 189 ng/dl. Now, I know that is not a very complete study, but It’s all I have for now. I know that I need to get my free t tested because that is as important, if not more than the total t. I’m visiting an endocrinologist tomorrow.
Sorry for any spelling mistake, english is not my first language.

Your doctor is scared shitless to treat such a young man, most doctors would not give a guy TRT under the age of 25 years old. Most doctor just can’t believe that someone so young could be experiencing something that usually hits a guy in his 50’s, their minds refuse to believe. Your doctor should have ordered some test to see why your T is low, reason he didn’t is because he is not trained in male hormones and this is outside his field of knowledge.

He should have referred you to an endocrinologist in order to run LH and FSH to see if either your testicle are functioning properly, if these end up high and T is low your testicles are damaged, if low your pituitary gland is the cause. You’ll need thyroid labs run as well. You have the T levels of someone over the age of 100 years old!

In general, the normal range in males is about 270 to 1070 ng/dL with an average level of 679 ng/dL. A normal male testosterone level peaks at about age 20, and then it slowly declines. Testosterone levels above or below the normal range are considered by many to be out of balance. We lose 1% of our T after age 30, your T will be near zero by the time your 30.

You need to fire your doctor! Your doctor needs to do a little research because there’s no way he can say he’s qualified to properly assess your hormonal state.

Thanks for the response. I’m aware of the severity of my situation. I’m seeing an endocrinologist tomorrow.

Do not let your doctor give you a protocol for one injection every 2 weeks, lots of endo’s are doing it and it’s a ticket to failure. Update your thread with labs and labs ranges we can provide feedback that most doctor commonly miss. You need to educated yourself to be able to vet your doctor, most endo’s are clueless when it comes to male hormones as they received no training in medical school because back then TRT was even more unpopular. HCG will be important if you ever wish to have kids.