T Nation

18 Months Progress

Been lifting for a year and a half as of today, so it’s time to post new stats. I only do this to give myself some accountability and a reality check every now and then.

Sad to say, I haven’t made a whole lot of progress in the last six months. I haven’t been stagnant, but I’ve been limited in the amount of time I have to train (toddler, pregnant wife, overtime). I’ve lost a bit of fat, gained a little muscle, and my lifts have gone up some… so I guess I can’t complain.

Link to my one-year thread: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/first_year_progress

Current stats: BW - 202-208
Chest - 44
Shoulders - 53
Waist - 36
Thighs - 24
Biceps - 15.625/15.75
Forearms - 12.75/13.25
Calves - 14.75

Lifts:
Bench - 255 (may be a bit higher, I almost got 265 last time, off-cycle from creatine)
Squat - 365
DL - 405

I’ll post some comparison pics later. I’m curious to see if there has been a visible change. At this point, I wish I’d taken some ‘before’ pics when I first started.

You put ten pounds on your bench, and twenty pounds on your squat and deadlift.

That’s not really good progress for six months.

Then again, it sounds like there were a lot of other things going on.

[quote]Otep wrote:
You put ten pounds on your bench, and twenty pounds on your squat and deadlift.

That’s not really good progress for six months.

Then again, it sounds like there were a lot of other things going on.[/quote]

That’s what happens when you can only lift two days a week for about three months. I’m surprised I was able to hold on to what strength I had. I’m back up to three days a week now, and making gains again. Hopefully soon I’ll be able to get back to my five-day split.

Back double

Front relaxed. I can see a minimal difference. Probably the biggest change is the little bit of fat loss in the midsection.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Front relaxed. I can see a minimal difference. Probably the biggest change is the little bit of fat loss in the midsection.[/quote]

Some fat loss is visible, yeah.

Sorry if I came off like a dick before. In the interest of full disclosure, not making much progress is a great deal better than just saying ‘fuck it’ and not lifting for six months, which I’m currently recovering from. Well done on taking the high road and making eye-drops when life gives you lemons.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Some fat loss is visible, yeah.

Sorry if I came off like a dick before. In the interest of full disclosure, not making much progress is a great deal better than just saying ‘fuck it’ and not lifting for six months, which I’m currently recovering from. Well done on taking the high road and making eye-drops when life gives you lemons.[/quote]

Hey, don’t worry about it. Thanks for the kudos.

I did learn some valuable information from the past six months

1. I can maintain strength (as in 1RM) with just two lifts per week per body part.

2. By focusing on making max progress for one body part and keeping everything else on maintenance, I can make as much progress in six weeks (for that one body part) than I otherwise could in six months. (Just added 20lbs to my seated military in six weeks)

3. In order to do #1, I need two days a week. For #2, I need three days.

Thibs says you can focus on two body parts every six weeks. I’ll give that a go when I can get back to a five day program.

Bump. Just want to keep this visible for a couple days… for the accountability thing.

UPDATE!!

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Bench - 255 (may be a bit higher, I almost got 265 last time, off-cycle from creatine)
[/quote]

Bench max routine today:
95x10
135x5
165x1
195x1
225x1
240x1
255x1 (old max)
265x1 EASY

WOOT!! WOOT!!

Tried for 270 and barely missed it. Might have gotten it if I wasn’t already gassed. 275 is next!!

Good job man. It always feels good to add some pounds to a lift. If I’ve had a shitty day, and I hit a PR in something… it really turns the day around.

At least you’ve made some progress. I don’t really have a lot to say, other than I imagine it must be super hard to find time in your situation, so good job on at least getting to the gym, and thanks for the update - I remember when you posted the 1 year progress thread, and it’s nice to get an update on peoples progress.

Good work man. You get your kids deadlifting yet? Never too early

That kid’s form puts mine to shame :frowning:

Not DLing yet, but she tried to pick up my 12lb shot when she was about 14 months old. Looked like a mini strongchick event. I lol’d

Awesome.