18 chins in 10 weeks - help me

I had a similar task of having to do 15 for my weightlifting class, i found the only way to do it (i started off doing 8) was to do weighted chins. I started doing 5 sets of 5 with 10 lbs. then increased to 15 lbs. at this point I could do it. man thats a lot of pull ups…

Here is an approach that may turn the problem on its ear. In addition to getting stronger in the chins, how about working to reduce the load–losing weight. It seems to me that if you can lose 20 lbs without sacrificing too much muscle, the chins should be A LOT easier. Most guys that I know who can do a lot of chins are thin and wiry. I think working to emulate that would be the way to go–if you can do it without sacrificing all the other fitness requirements.

I also want to be able to do more pullups. I looked at pavel’s ladder workout, and my limit is about 8 pullups. Second set I can usually do about 5. For the ladder should I start out at 6 for the first set then 3 then maybe 2? and do that a couple times a day? Thats how I understand it.

Hey Nate Dogg, what’s your website address?

I just started a Poliquin back specialization program, but its for people who can currently do sets of 6 pullups, either way u may want to try it. Follow Poliquins standard 5 day training cycles.
Day 1:Back and Chest
Day 2:Legs
Day 3:Off
Day 4:Shoulders and Arms
Day 5:Off
Repeat
U need to cut back on chest and shoulders, focus mainly on Back, here’s his program, it’s a modified GVT routine. Do ten sets of 2 pullups your first workout, then try to increase by one rep the following workout, aiming for 3 reps each set. 1st workout you’ll have done 20 pullups, then 30 (ideally), 40, etc, once you reach 10 sets of 6, or when your being tested, you should be able to do a single set of several pullups. So anyway, here’s your Day 1 Routine:
Set 1:2 Wide-Grip Pullups 4010 Tempo (rest 90s)
External Rotation 3010 Tempo (rest 90s)
Set 2:2 Wide-Grip Pullups 4010 Tempo (rest 90s)
External Rotation 3010 Tempo (rest 90s)
Set 3:same
External Rotation
Set 4:same
External Rotation
Set 5:same
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 3010 tempo (rest90s)8-10 reps
Set 6:same
Incline Bench
Set 7:same
Incline Bench
Set 8:same
Incline Bench
Set 9:same
Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (same reps/tempo as incline)
Set 10:same
Flat Dumbbell Bench Press
I’d cut back on leg training as well, dont forget post-workout nutrition, lots of protein to repair muscles. Hope this helps. Pete