T Nation

17 yr old aspiring bodybuilder

im(as you can see) 17 years old. ive been working out seriously for about a year and a half in between work and school. i would really appreciate any comments, criticisms, advice and whatever else you have to say.
my workout looks like this.

mon- bis tris chest.

chest-
dumbbell presses(flat bench; FB)-4 sets of 8-12 reps w/40 lb dumbbells
dumbbell presses(incline bench; IB)-4 sets of 8-12 reps w/40 lb dumbbells
flyes(FB)-4 sets of 8-12 reps w/20 lb DBs
flyes(IB)-4 sets of 8-12 reps w/10 and 20 lb DBs

Bis-
seated curls(IB) 4 sets of 10-12 reps w/ 20 lb DBs
seated curls(vertical) 4 sets of 10-12 reps w/ 20 lb DBs
EZ bar curls- 4 sets of 8-10 reps w/ 60 lbs.
concentration curls- 4 sets of 7-9 reps w/30 lb DBs
---------------------------------------Tris-
Overhead single arm extentions-2 sets 10 reps w/20 lb DBs
Overhead 2 arm extentions 3 sets of 10 reps w/20 lb DBs
Pushdowns 4 sets of 8-10 (pyramid sets) w/ 150-200 lbs(old machine)
Cross bench extentions to failure

Tues- Shoulders Back Legs

Shoulders
Later raises- 4 sets of 8-10 w/10 lb DBs
Front raises 4 sets of 8-10 reps w/10 lb DBs

Back-
Pulldowns 4 sets of 10 reps w/as much as possible
pullups 4 sets of 6
bent rows-2 sets of 8 w/40 lb DBs
One arm row- 4 sets w/each arm 10 reps w/40 lb DBs
---------------------------------------traps-(subset)-
Shrugs- 4 sets of 8-10 w/40 lb DBs

Legs-
running whenever i can
squats w/minimal weight(i have no squat rack or cage so i have to clean it and put it over my back on my own-and then be able to take it off)
Wed-rest
Thurs-Bis Tris Chest
Fri-shoulders back legs
sat-whatever feels weakest
sun-rest

i would appreciate any comments on my workout and any advice on good supplements to take. thank you for your time and sry its so long.

Diet! Learn everything you can about diet! Your training is fine, and you can find plenty of good programs on this site to keep you busy for years. But the biggest changes you can make are through diet.

Learn to talk intellegently about insulin sensitivity, blood-glucose, resting metabolic rate, thermic effect of food, and so on and you’ll be able to manipulate your physique any way you desire. A 17 with this knowledge and experience can slowly begin to add stronger supplements and more scientific training as he grows and will be generations ahead of most people.

At 17 the best and only supplements you should be worried about are protein (Grow!), post workout nutrition (Surge), and good multivitamin (Twin Lab Daily Two), and if you want to add some Creatin. As you progress begin playing around with r-ALA, BCAAS, and so on.

Agreed, give us more info. That program looks fine, but how long have you been using it, what was your previous program like? You’re defenitely on the right track though.

I have to agree with the other comments you have received.

While your training looks solid, my ? would be, "How is it working? If you are not getting good results I would simply look into any and all of the programs in the previous issues of the Mag.

Some favorites here are ABBH and all Chad’s programs, Creation of a T-man by JB. Really any and all of the programs work. Just find one to fit your goals.

The diet education I have to agree with totally. Diet is going to always be your largest contributor to your success. No matter if you are cutting, bulking what ever. I would start with reading any and all the works of John Berardi and Lonnie Lowery. Read`them and then read them again. If you have any ?'s come on back and we all will be glad to help you.

I would suggest starting here:
“7 Habits…” article by JB

This article will give you a good foundation to begin building your knowledge with.

As far as supplements, food, Grow, Surge, and more food. The Surge and reading up on proper post workout nutrition will be a HUGE help that many new trainees over look.

Read up, and come on back with any all ?'s you come upon.

Hope this helps,

Phill

Ok, I’m suprised with the previous replies. I think the program sucks. A few things wrong I noticed (amongst others) that I cant believe the others didnt comment on:

1. Your working your biceps with 32 sets of direct arm training per week plus 28 indirect sets (from the back work). Because of the split, your hitting them 4 days a week with massive volume each day! Triceps are similar, although not as bad.

2. Your leg workout is practically non existent. You do some light squats after shoulder and back work and thats it!

3. I’ve never seen the point in doing pulldowns and pullups. To make it worse your doing the pullups after the pulldowns.

4. Saturday whatever feels weakest!! WTF!! So which ever muscle group is overtrained the most you hit again?

I could go on forever, I still can’t believe the others said it was ok.

Look through the FAQ, archives etc pick a program that you think looks good (eg big boy basics, ABBH, OVT, EDT, HST etc etc etc) then ask any questions about it here.

back after one day and already have responses thank you for your honesty. im going to start researching all the diet areas as much as possible. its def a good idea. im going to develop a new workout changed around the advice i got and ill post it soon. i would(still) appreciate any ideas and or criticisms you can come up with. also, in response to your question, i have been on this workout for about a month. i have increased my flexed arm size by 1.45 inches and my chest by 2 inches. legs are at 23 inches for upper and i forget about the loewr. ill post the rest later. im 5’10" and 175 lbd. im not sure what my bodyfat is but its not too high. im mostly muscle so im not too fat. also, any advice on supplements for teens? it would be much appreciated. thank you very much.