17 YO, 1 Year Training

[quote]tassietaekwon wrote:
Looking like you’re making some progress man, stick with what you’re doing.

On the acne thing, I have very severe cystic acne when I was about your age, it really affected my social life/mental health, so thumbs down to bruceleefan, way to bring that up dude. It’s rate my physique, not rate my skin quality.

Anyway, eventually I got off to a dermatologist and he prescribed roaccutane (sp?), really nasty, hardcore stuff, a lot of side effects, but eventually it sorted the problem (btw, not all people experience really bad side effects, just my personal experience). I get occasional break outs now and again, but not anything like I use to in my teen years. I really hope that the doc can sort it out for you.

Good luck with the lifting, I’m sure a lot of guys (and girls) on the site wish they started as young as you.

Oh, and what are you goals? A certain bw/lifts/sports performance?[/quote]

Hey no offense, as I’m sure the meds helped you out a lot and I’m sure you were thankful for them, but cystic acne has mostly to do with your diet and other health factors.

Good progress man, and nice lifts :slight_smile: Keep up the good work aiming for your goals.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Hey no offense, as I’m sure the meds helped you out a lot and I’m sure you were thankful for them, but cystic acne has mostly to do with your diet and other health factors.[/quote]

Although there has been a few recent studies on the issue of diet as a cause of acne, more research is needed before anyone can say “it’s mostly to do with diet”,

Probably the most interesting/convincing of the recent studies-

Smith RN, Mann NJ, Braue A, Mäkeläinen H, Varigos GA (August 2007). “The effect of a high-protein, low glycemic-load diet versus a conventional, high glycemic-load diet on biochemical parameters associated with acne vulgaris: a randomized, investigator-masked, controlled trial”. J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 57 (2): 247â??56

A good excuse to eat a high protein/low g-i diet, anyhow. Not that any of us needed one.
There are several other studies that also link diet to acne, but no concrete proof has been established, and so at this point it is all still hypothesis.

All of the trials/studies that I have seen or know of that establish any kind of a link between diet and acne have been published after 2000,
much after I had already gone through my treatment, and I was just following my docotors suggestions for best treatment. Obviously they didn’t have this new research available to them…

Earlier studies (as in, 1970’s earlier), had established that there was no or very little link between diet and acne, so go figure… Not sure why there was a loss in interest in the subject between these periods, however…
An example… Anderson PC (March 1971). “Foods as the cause of acne”. Am Fam Physician 3

So the common wisdom is still that genetics and hormonal factors are the main causes of acne, and many high profile dermatology institutes still say that diet is at best a minor factor (e.g. American Dermatology Academy).

So, although it may be beneficial to try following a certain diet- high protein, low g-i, (which pretty much all of us would be following anyway), and try cutting out dairy and see if that helps, more research is needed on this subject.
The best bet is still to go to a GP/Dermatologist and follow the treatments that they set out for you, what-ever that may involve.

[quote]leezw88 wrote:
Thanks tassietaekwon, for understanding my plight. Its pretty frustrating at times to be honest.

Hmm my goals would be to have

-200kg DL
-160kg Squat
-buss Bench press plateau,
-Achieve a bodyweight at 80kg, 10% bf.
-And finally, much bigger arms/upper torso.

Wonder is there any exercise to build up the upper torso as effectively as the squat. The squat has been a staple in my training nowadays.[/quote]

If only there was just one exercise for the upper body that will do what squats do for your legs!
As far as the goal to hit 80kg/10% BF, how are you tackling this? Are you going to go on a bulk and then diet down, or are you planning to go slow and steady and try to stay lean?

Not many in Singapore look like you do at any age let alone at 17( myself included). Good work so far. Consume more food and train hard. This is the prime time for you to be packing on the size.

Nice work, the 30lbs look like solids gains. Keep it up

Concur with the previous comments, the legs are good! (Nice to see people focusing on the wheels).

As an aside, the sun will help with the acne (something to do with Vit D), also get some healthy fats like avocado and cold water fish (helped me when I had acne).

Great progress though man. The physique is coming along. Not bad for your age and what not. Keep it up.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
No offense, but whats with the major acne? I mean dude, if your taking 'roids at your age then what the hell! You don’t look much different, at your age you don’t need to…

I know guys your age taking them in my area in England mainly stuff like xtreme mass fx and various other anabolic supplements… They’re my size and this is after using this shit. Maybe your genetics really suck or something I don’t know but personally I know I can hit at least 180 before I need to even touch the things. I wouldn’t even bother until I’m mid 20s.

Anyway I’m real sorry dude if your not… I still give you a 3 would be a 4 maybe 5 without the acne.[/quote]

you . are . so . fucking . retarded, it genuinely worries me

Great progress though man. The physique is coming along. Not bad for your age and what not. Keep it up.

Im trying to go on a slower pace up. Lots of clean food for me. I shudder at the thought of dieting down, seems like i’ve got to consume less food, which i’m not prepared to. My appetite has shot sky high this year.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

As a side note, my exams are ongoing, and i am pretty excited to train like a mutherfucker once it ends. It drives me crazy not being able to head to the gym for this week!

[quote]Bear943 wrote:
Not many in Singapore look like you do at any age let alone at 17( myself included). Good work so far. Consume more food and train hard. This is the prime time for you to be packing on the size.[/quote]

Nice to see a fellow Singaporean here~
Just curious, where do you train? I normally train in Tampines Clubfit and my college gym.

good progress but remember this a rate my physique not rate my progress. Gave you a two but really thats good one year from going to zero to 2 is good in another maybe a 3 or 4 which is dam good for a kid that has only been training 2 years.

I train in a small corporate gym in Novena. Theres another chap here that trains in Tampines as well, goes by malty goodness

new update thank, 176lbs now

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
No offense, but whats with the major acne? I mean dude, if your taking 'roids at your age then what the hell! You don’t look much different, at your age you don’t need to… I know guys your age taking them in my area in England mainly stuff like xtreme mass fx and various other anabolic supplements… They’re my size and this is after using this shit. Maybe your genetics really suck or something I don’t know but personally I know I can hit at least 180 before I need to even touch the things. I wouldn’t even bother until I’m mid 20s.

Anyway I’m real sorry dude if your not… I still give you a 3 would be a 4 maybe 5 without the acne.[/quote]
wow what an ignorant moron.

Hey dude good job, Im from Singapore too haha. But I weigh only about 160 lbs at 5’6 and not as lean as you.
Your lifts all outweight me too man, nice. Keep at it, im trying to hit 200lbs by the end of this year.

nice wheels mate. arms need some attention tho :confused: