T Nation

17-Year-Old Considering TRT - Serious Inquiry

EDIT: Started a thread in the Steroid section, was forwarded here.

Hey there guys, I am 90% sure I am going to get put on blast for this, but I am a 17-year-old considering going on TRT.

First, let me start by listing my hormone levels that I have collected over three separate tests within a 6-week span. These are the averages for each - the results never really fluctuated more than a decimal percent or two:

Testosterone - 10.5 nmol/L (300ng/DL)
Free Test - 15.5 pmol/L
Estradiol - 70 pmol/L
Follitropin (FSH) - 3 IU/L
Lutropin (LH) - 7 IU/L
Prolactin - 4 ug/L

I ordered these tests based on the fact that I often suffer from erectile dysfunction, a nearly non-existent sex drive, anxiety, extreme sensitivity to any kind of cold (to the point where I can’t focus), mental fog, and a general inability to put on lean mass. It should be noted that I have suffered from slight gynecomastia (puffy nipples, no hard tissue) ever since I was younger, as I very overweight, ate Cheetos and donuts for every meal, and got absolutely zero exercise.

Nowadays, I train strength train six days a week along with regular cardio, track all of my macros to a T (making sure to take in maintenance level calories/macros and a very liberal amount of saturated fat), get 8-10 hours of sleep every night, and generally lead a very healthy lifestyle. I have tried every trick in the book to correct my problem - lowering my body fat (currently sitting at 12-14%), eliminating xenoestrogens, supplementing with zinc, so on and so on. I am a decently strong guy (225lb squat, 275lb deadlift, 140lb bench), but I simply cannot progress any further, as any time I attempt to put on muscle by increasing my calories, almost ALL of the weight I gain is in fat. I am not comfortable with doing this, so I am simply in perpetual maintenance.

Basically, I have hit a stonewall and have started to look to hormone therapy. But here’s the problem: I live in Ontario, Canada, and I have travelled to over 45 different doctors in the past three months, all of them laugh in my face and tell me I need more sleep or that I’m depressed. I was finally referred to a urologist, who suspected testicular cancer, which turned up false, and he ruled that he was completely stumped, telling me that I should see an endocrinologist. I am now on an 8-month waiting list and I cannot do this any longer.

Due to no doctor around here believing in TRT as a viable type of medicine, I have went on my own accord and purchased a vial of test cyp. I have not dosed yet, however, I plan on dosing 100mg every week until I can see an endocrinologist.

I am here asking for advice and possible things to look out for. I am aware that many on TRT use an AI like Arimidex along with HCG, but without a doctor who is willing to monitor my progress, the use of those substances is going to be a tricky one, as I will have to swindle my own blood results and monitor them myself or through walk-in clinics.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for anyone who has taken the time to read this.

Yeah I don’t think anybody is going to tell you it’s a good idea.

If you give more details maybe some one can be of more help
You said you have started to live a healthier lifestyle, how long has it been?

What type of food are you eating?

What do your workouts consist of?

Think it would be a good idea to wait and see the endo for one.
17 years old is young, I would give it another couple years. Starting up on test will most likely meen your on it for life. And definitely sounds like a precarious situation having to get your T on your own.

Very interesting. There seems to be something missing along the line of testosterone production. I would start testing cholesterol, pregnenolone, dhea, progesterone, cortisol and thyroid panel…Something says that your testicles are missing something to boost testosterone. Your pituitary on the other hand seems fine, estrogen and prolactin seem good. I would start eating MORE cholesterol and MORE fat (including saturated)…I am vegetarian myself so you can get good fats from nuts, seeds, coconuts, avocado, olive oil…fish if you eat it.

[quote]krpv wrote:
Yeah I don’t think anybody is going to tell you it’s a good idea.

If you give more details maybe some one can be of more help
You said you have started to live a healthier lifestyle, how long has it been?

What type of food are you eating?

What do your workouts consist of?

Think it would be a good idea to wait and see the endo for one.
17 years old is young, I would give it another couple years. Starting up on test will most likely meen your on it for life. And definitely sounds like a precarious situation having to get your T on your own.[/quote

For about two years - this is amount of time is another indicator to me that there is something wrong, as I train and eat properly but can only put on fat for the most part.

My workouts are a rotation of push/pull/legs. Each day is built around a compound. Here’s an example of my leg day:

Squats 5x6
Conventional Deads - 5X5
SL Deads - 4X8
Calf Raises - 5x10

Every off day between rotations is a HIIT cardio day.

I would love to wait a few years, honestly, but I just can’t stand feeling like this any long. Prom is coming up and it’s absolutely embarrassing that I can’t get an erection most of the time.

There are way too many variables you haven’t explored to commit to such a life changing decision so early. Your diet alone could be the problem. If you’re lacking in dietary fats/cholesterol that can have a significant impact on hormones. And that vast majority of “clean” diets are surprisingly deficient in dietary fats.

With good FSH/LH levels something is missing.

Take it from someone almost 10 years older than you that was considering staying on for life and after 6 months got sick of it and cycled off. It’s a hassle and should be a last resort if you can’t find a solution to get things up and running.

Retinoid’s post is on point. Something else needs to be addressed. Vitamin D deficiencies can cause all kinds of issues too.

You need to do a lot of reading. In the short term I can’t recommend a 17 year old do anything that borders with legality issues but if it were me I would be using cialis/viagra to get by until I could get things straightened out.

[quote]Chaoticreign wrote:
There are way too many variables you haven’t explored to commit to such a life changing decision so early. Your diet alone could be the problem. If you’re lacking in dietary fats/cholesterol that can have a significant impact on hormones. And that vast majority of “clean” diets are surprisingly deficient in dietary fats.

With good FSH/LH levels something is missing.

Take it from someone almost 10 years older than you that was considering staying on for life and after 6 months got sick of it and cycled off. It’s a hassle and should be a last resort if you can’t find a solution to get things up and running.

Retinoid’s post is on point. Something else needs to be addressed. Vitamin D deficiencies can cause all kinds of issues too.

You need to do a lot of reading. In the short term I can’t recommend a 17 year old do anything that borders with legality issues but if it were me I would be using cialis/viagra to get by until I could get things straightened out. [/quote]

I take in about 70-80 grams of fat a day, 80% of it being saturated. I also supplement in Vitamin D, work outside in the sun daily, and eat fish like it’s a spiritual mission. I imagine there might be another way to correct my T deficiency, but I just don’t know where to look anymore.

[quote]Vikcan Kaje wrote:

[quote]Chaoticreign wrote:
There are way too many variables you haven’t explored to commit to such a life changing decision so early. Your diet alone could be the problem. If you’re lacking in dietary fats/cholesterol that can have a significant impact on hormones. And that vast majority of “clean” diets are surprisingly deficient in dietary fats.

With good FSH/LH levels something is missing.

Take it from someone almost 10 years older than you that was considering staying on for life and after 6 months got sick of it and cycled off. It’s a hassle and should be a last resort if you can’t find a solution to get things up and running.

Retinoid’s post is on point. Something else needs to be addressed. Vitamin D deficiencies can cause all kinds of issues too.

You need to do a lot of reading. In the short term I can’t recommend a 17 year old do anything that borders with legality issues but if it were me I would be using cialis/viagra to get by until I could get things straightened out. [/quote]

I take in about 70-80 grams of fat a day, 80% of it being saturated. I also supplement in Vitamin D, work outside in the sun daily, and eat fish like it’s a spiritual mission. I imagine there might be another way to correct my T deficiency, but I just don’t know where to look anymore.
[/quote]

Have you had testicular problems? Get the other tests and retest testosterone (in the AM after waking). Low testosterone is not an acutely deadly disease…very annoying for sure, I understand, but not something where you cannot wait. Taking Viagra and a something that releases norepinephrine/dopamine will suffice for now.

Hello friend,

I can relate to you as i am self administering. So i ll tell you a few things about self administering. I have been doing it the past 8 months.

Firstly i want to answer you question and tell you to go with option number 2 and wait for endo. Someone with more knowledge like KSman can jump in and check your labs. You might have something that can be fixed like your thyroid which in return will boost your total T. Do NOT be in a hurry mate. Patience.

Self administering is very risky for many reasons. I ll list a few below from my experience:

  1. Do you have a stable job and income and will be able to pay all the necessary blood work and tests you will need and also pay for all the stuff you will need like test e or c, arimidex (very expensive), hcg (very expensive)?

  2. Are you guaranteed with a reliable source for many years? What happens if your source gets caught? Moves city? or whatever else?

  3. Are you sure you will be putting in your body testosterone or something else from bunk stuff for many years?

  4. Yeah sure test is cheap but TRUST ME you will not only need T. This might be your initial thought but most probably you will need an AI (ok you will get research labs) and you will need HCG which is expensive.

  5. Have you done research? Read a few books on the subject? Know where you will be ordering all your labs? Checking hematocrit, blood pressure, estradiol, free t etc?

  6. Interested in having kids in the future? TRT can affect your sperm count and i do not know if stopping TRT will guarantee that you sperm count comes back fully. Another reason you need HCG which can be expensive.

There are many many factors you have to take into consideration before doing this. Be a bit more patient. Buy some cialis and viagra for now and resolve the erection issue until you get prescribed TRT the proper way.

I live in a country where you mention TRT to doctors and they laugh and say you will get cancer. Yea i have a great source which sells phaurmaceutical grade stuff but still what happens if he gets caught or whatver? I will have to go looking.

I spend a great amount of money in monitoring everything and for all my stuff. Is it worth it? For sure. But i have a stable job with a stable woman by my side and if anything happens with my job i have people i can rely on until i find another job. I wont be doing this forever. Im planning in the future to travel to america to John Crisler or another very well known good doctor to get normal prescriptions.

I hope this helps.
Jon

Hello I know this post is 3 years old now but I am also 17 in a similar mindset as to u once were and am Interested to see what happened. My training has its peaks and troughs however I feel as if I should get my hormones tested again as I remember last year when I had my blood work done my test was at the Lower end of the spectrum. If I find when I get a blood test again that my test is worryingly low then I will speak to my doctor about TRT but this is why I am curious as to what happened in ur situation?