17 Y/O Wrestler

hey guys,

I didnt know where else to post this so i decided to post this here. I am a 16 year old whos been lifting seriously for about 8 months now. My current weight is 155, but my weight hasnt gone up for a while. I’m eating about 3500-4000 calories a day and lifting 4-5 times per week. I’m about to start westside for skinny bastards. Would that be the right approach for someone like me? feedback would be much appreciated!

Elite10: here’s one…post your own question in the beginner’s thread.

[quote]elite10 wrote:
hey guys,

I didnt know where else to post this so i decided to post this here. I am a 16 year old whos been lifting seriously for about 8 months now. My current weight is 155, but my weight hasnt gone up for a while. I’m eating about 3500-4000 calories a day and lifting 4-5 times per week. I’m about to start westside for skinny bastards. Would that be the right approach for someone like me? feedback would be much appreciated![/quote]

Your caloric intake is good. If I were you I would cut back my training to only 3 times per week, full body. I would also cut out completely or cut way back any other outside activity/sports etc. Finally, stick to heavy weights in the 6 to 10 rep range.

Hope this helps.

Few Points:
1.) You do the same workout in the morning and afternoon 4-5 days a week. Why?!? Think about CHANGING the workout so you never repeat one single motion each week. Get creative. You would hugely benefit from taking a break and doing entirely new motions for a few weeks.

2.) Read CW’s articles on MMA. ASAP.

3.) Ditch the machines, especially the leg press. Got a muscle imbalance? Try narrow stance, heels elevated squats! Or heels elevated barbell hack squats! Once again, possibilities are endless.

4.) Get your diet in order, 14% BF…for a wrestler? Drop 10 or 15lbs of body fat (your sitting with right around 25lbs right now). This should be your priority, in my opinion.

5.) Did you really say squat machine? Need I say more?

6.) I don’t know how tall you are, but shoot for a 2-3x body weight deadlift and squat.

7.) You can sit their and justify using machines based on how closely they resemble a real life action, all day long. With that logic, who needs free weights? The fact is, free weights do what machines do, 100x better. Your a fucking wrestler, the epitome of athleticsm, no?

Now with all this said I would not discount the lat pull or seated pully rows, they have a time and place, but your logic is off the wall.

7.) You got alot of reading to do.

Don’t take this all too harshly, just a few personal opinions. Good luck to you, your certainly dedicated and motivated enough.

Few more…

• Just noticed your 5’9" Definitely 3x body weight squat and deadlift. It’s not a quick, easy, or short road there, but the sooner you start the sooner you arrive.
  • Incorportate single leg work, squats, deads, ect…
  • Stay open minded (just have this itchy feeling that your the type of person to ask for advice, geniunely appreciate it, but fail to employ it…) This is not intended to be a huge insult, obviously I know nothing about you. Just a hunch, from a random guy on the internet.