17 Y.O. Gainer/Diet Questions

Nice site here,my first post.Im 48 years old and starting back at the gym about 4 months ago,sure feels good getting strong again.My question pertains to my 17 y.o. son who has been in sports all his life,but football has taken priority lately.We are trying to put some weight on his 6'1" 175 frame.

His lifts have progressed nicely,i have him doing NO XPLODE a 1/2 hour before the gym,and a big glass of muscle milk/peanut butter before bed,its working,but slowly.I have been trying to educate him on eating big with tuna,eggs,lots of milk,red meat,etc.

Since eggs have now been proven safer than thought,im wondering how you big egg eaters prepare them,old school raw/hard boiled/fried, does it matter? Any other dietary tips you want to throw out or anything im missing,let fly.Great forum,i hope to learn a lot here.Thanks.

I wouldn’t eat them raw because some of the protein won’t get absorbed. Other than that, its pretty much up to you.

You might want to try different styles of eggs. I used to eat mine (about 5 eggs in the morning) scrambled, but I got sick of them and now when I try to eat scrambled eggs, I want to yak. Now, I’ll mix it up with over easy, fried, omlettes, on a whole wheat roll, etc…

[quote]gaining wrote:
Nice site here,my first post.Im 48 years old and starting back at the gym about 4 months ago,sure feels good getting strong again.My question pertains to my 17 y.o. son who has been in sports all his life,but football has taken priority lately.We are trying to put some weight on his 6’1" 175 frame.

His lifts have progressed nicely,i have him doing NO XPLODE a 1/2 hour before the gym,and a big glass of muscle milk/peanut butter before bed,its working,but slowly.I have been trying to educate him on eating big with tuna,eggs,lots of milk,red meat,etc.

Since eggs have now been proven safer than thought,im wondering how you big egg eaters prepare them,old school raw/hard boiled/fried, does it matter? Any other dietary tips you want to throw out or anything im missing,let fly.Great forum,i hope to learn a lot here.Thanks.[/quote]

I eat 12-15 a day, mostly boiled (my cholesterol’s actually a little low if you believe in such things). I do have 6 usually in the morning slow fried in real butter. Raw eggs are actually unlikely to give you salmonella overall, but I personally still wouldn’t chance it. From a strictly nutritional standpoint the whites are most usable cooked and the yolks are most usable raw. It doesn’t really matter how you cook them as long you get them over 160 F for several minutes, but don’t burn them. At his age and activity level he should be eating like a grizzly if you plan on him making good gains.

Thanks for the replies.The kid was happy to hear de didnt have to drink raw eggs,lol.

he just needs more calories. it sounds like you are giving him plenty of protien.

give him some complex carbs in addition to his diet. along with his red meat, have him eat a whole grain bagle, whole grain pasta, bread etc.

have him eat oatmeal, cream of wheat, my personal favorite wheatina, give him more fruits and vegetables along with his current food.

if he needs more protien, throw in an extra snack and make it a grilled or baked chicken breast, an extra can of tuna on a whole wheat bagel etc.

just feed the boy more and make sure he isn’t just eating junk. although junk will give him added calories, the potential health risks later in life will not be worth it.

Yeah, he just needs to eat more. One way I’ve found that I can put down more oats with my breakfast is by putting them in the blender, instead of cooking them the old fashioned way. Rolled oats have been steamed and pressed, so they are not raw.

I can easily do 2 cups of oats blended for 600 calories, where as cooked I can barely choke down 1 cup. However, this much fiber takes some getting used to, so for your son I would recommend:

1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup of milk
1 scoop of Metabolic Drive protein powder
1 banana
1 cup of cold water
1 dash of cinnamon

Blend until smooth

Also, No-xplode is pretty much worthless, from what I hear. Creatine is great however, and countless studies have shown that it is safe and effective.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Also, No-xplode is pretty much worthless, from what I hear. Creatine is great however, and countless studies have shown that it is safe and effective.[/quote]
Thanks for the diet ideas.As to the noxplode,i dunno about that,we both saw some real gains,his max bench went from 170 to 195 in two weeks,maybe placebo effect.

As a matter of fact he took some before a planned boxing match with a loud mouthed kid at school last week,and you should see the video,looked like a dynamo,on his toes for five rounds and never slowed down.

I started using it about 30 minutes before the gym and my endurance was much better than without it.Remember im 48,no spring chicken.I honestly think it has some merit.

When I make eggs, I scramble them. You might also want to throw some vegetables in them (tomatoes, onions, etc.) I don’t think it really matters how you cook them, you get the same nutrition from the eggs.

If you or your son have high cholesterol, use Egglands Best eggs. They have 25% less cholesterol. They are a little more expensive per dozen (1.87), but worth it, if you have that situation.

[quote]gaining wrote:
Thanks for the replies.The kid was happy to hear de didnt have to drink raw eggs,lol.[/quote]

Unless your kid wants to be like Rocky, then he can drink all the raw eggs he wants lol.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
gaining wrote:
Thanks for the replies.The kid was happy to hear de didnt have to drink raw eggs,lol.

Unless your kid wants to be like Rocky, then he can drink all the raw eggs he wants lol.[/quote]

rocky was awesome. unfortunately i don’t think his most recent movie was enough to make him cool for the newer generations.