T Nation

17 and Need Perspective and Advice

alright i am 17 i keep powerlifting thinking i’m gonna get the body i want when im not or am i? see idk because i don’t have the experience. i would like someone to correct me if im wrong but if i lift or lets say powerlift my body will eventually come to me it will just take longer than it would bodybuilding?

i would like to pick up a more bodybuilding based training but i want to stick to the basics. and do all the special shit later. but i dont train every bodypart as if i were powerlifting.

I thought 17 year olds were supposed to be in at least their 2nd year of english classes?

Strictly power lifting can lead to muscle imbalences…

I would suggest keeping the powerlifting, but add some stuff like:

overhead press
pull ups chin ups
rows
face pulls
squat / dl variations (snatch grip deadlift)
core work (bridges, chops etc)

and if you are into it train in other regards:

sprinting
swimming
biking
etc

yea dumb shit why you gotta act immature about some english classes. You sound real hard over the internet though. i gotta give it to you. get a life u fuck and stop trying to find people to talk about over the internet.

Thanks Meridian i will try to put that in my regimen.

Well I was going to give you some advice, but you sound like a douchebag with a short temper going off on a tantrum at another poster, so I decided I’d rather ignore you.

That is all.

jwill, i think somebody bumped into you just before you took that picture, you’re hat is all cocked off to the side.

I think OP should check out “My speech to the graduates, 2006”

and “My speech to the graduates”

I think you should take it to heart.

im glad u said that in a mature way so i could laugh some of these fucks get too into talking shit ya know.

all i did was ask a question and people got to act immature and try to insult my intelligence over a message. like what the hell im trying to get some advice thats it.

hey GV kid; good articles. im not even like this i guess when i read i force myself to get into it a little too far. its kind of like telling me im wrong when i know im right kind of thing. it just sets me off in that same little way when people just have to talk shit.

alright ive been deaf my whole life so when people talk shit to my face i just laugh and say really.then i think about the shit ive accomplished and the shit they have which makes think which usually leaves me at the better end.

i dont even believe u can learn shit from school i think life lessons are far more important than school. plus you cant get those at school cause its the same shit everyday. you just get used to it.but on the internet the shit talking embeds into my brain its like i have to accept it because im reading it and not hearing it.

ill leave it at that for you who understand well good for you and those who dont well then i guess good for you too.

[quote]Meridian wrote:

overhead press
pull ups chin ups
rows
face pulls
[/quote]

Everyone I know that “strictly powerlifts” does all of that weekly.

Even programs like Sheiko include some amount of upper back work, and most call for a good amount of sq/dl variation.

[quote]jwill21 wrote:
yea dumb shit why you gotta act immature about some english classes. You sound real hard over the internet though. i gotta give it to you. get a life u fuck and stop trying to find people to talk about over the internet.[/quote]

Hardass

I can’t wait for this kid to show up in the rate my physique section…

So because you’re deaf you think that gives you a pass on being an inarticulate punk? Welcome to life, son. Not everyone’s going to treat you like you’re made of glass; you don’t get a special pass because you can’t hear from me. I’m going to treat you like how you present yourself regardless of any disability you might have. Your original post hurt to read.

A lot of the guys on this website will flame you regardless of what you say, or how you ask … i’m not one of em, but if you come on here and think we’re obligated to give you direction you picked the wrong site.

I appreciate your determination, but it seems like to me you need to figure out what you want to do as far as lifting goes. You can attain an aesthetic body powerlifting if you strictly adhere to a proper diet; but optimally you should train like a bodybuilder if that’s the physique you’re going for.

If you want lift like a powerlifter you have to accept that you may not attain the body you want; but it’s not impossible. Read around a bit on this site, read articles, and use the search function. Determine your goals. If you happen to have questions after that the best way to ask is to ask informed questions. Hope this helps you acclimate yourself to the forums on here and good luck.

One point that everyone seems to be missing here is that for a beginner/intermediate, there isn’t really a big difference between training to become a bodybuilder or powerlifter.

The OP is a (retarded) 17 year old kid. He isn’t at a point where he has to worry about special programs or whether to train like this or that. He needs to be focusing on the basic lifts that will get him strong: squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, rows, pullups, etc. These are moves that strong people do, regardless of whether they compete as bodybuilders or powerlifters.

The fancy equipment, gimmicks, and special rep schemes that make a routine a PL routine or a BB routines all have their place, but to be successful in either you have to get bigger and stronger, bring up weaknesses, and eat a lot of healthy food. That is what the OP should be focusing on now. If he’s doing things right, he shouldn’t have any trouble being successful in either sport, with a few simple tweaks.

[quote]jwill21 wrote:
i dont even believe u can learn shit from school i think life lessons are far more important than school. plus you cant get those at school cause its the same shit everyday. you just get used to it.but on the internet the shit talking embeds into my brain its like i have to accept it because im reading it and not hearing it.
[/quote]

Couldn’t be more wrong. You can take the example of social skills among homeschool kids and non-homeschool kids. The ones that go to a physical building usually have greater social skills due to the fact that they are forced into an environment where they have to interact with other people. Social skills are one helluva life lesson that many people need, as well as you. The reason you were treated like a moron right off the bat in this post is due to your lack of “net social skills” so to speak.

By you asking for advice, you are the one in need. Not us. So it should be your aim to put your point across in a clear and concise manner so that the people that are willing to help, will help, instead of just trolling you which you have seen has happened. You’re the one that is asking for the help, not us, I’d recommend you lose the chip on your shoulder, you’ll get a lot more help that way and a lot less bullshit from everyone.

That being said, eat more, lift big. You’re no where close to any decent size that you need to be worrying hugely about the specifics of powerlifting/bodybuilding type routines. And if you are not competing then you are not powerlifting, you’re just lifting weights like the rest of us. Both types of training will build muscle, they may serve different functional purposes but you will see success with both.

Well, I think that both perspective and advice have been dropped here! Nicely done T-Nation members.

[quote]Meridian wrote:

overhead press
pull ups chin ups
rows
face pulls

and if you are into it train in other regards:

sprinting
swimming
biking
etc[/quote]

Hey dipshit, before coming to conclusions on what ‘strictly powerlifting’ is, why don’t you do a bit of looking around and see what ‘pure powerlifting’ training is.

Last time I looked, ‘strict powerlifters’ also do shoulder, back, squat/dl variations and core work.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
One point that everyone seems to be missing here is that for a beginner/intermediate, there isn’t really a big difference between training to become a bodybuilder or powerlifter.

The OP is a (retarded) 17 year old kid. He isn’t at a point where he has to worry about special programs or whether to train like this or that. He needs to be focusing on the basic lifts that will get him strong: squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, rows, pullups, etc. These are moves that strong people do, regardless of whether they compete as bodybuilders or powerlifters.

The fancy equipment, gimmicks, and special rep schemes that make a routine a PL routine or a BB routines all have their place, but to be successful in either you have to get bigger and stronger, bring up weaknesses, and eat a lot of healthy food. That is what the OP should be focusing on now. If he’s doing things right, he shouldn’t have any trouble being successful in either sport, with a few simple tweaks.[/quote]

But ‘strict powerlifters’ don’t do any overhead presses or back work. They also don’t do any core work or squat/dl variations.

And bodybuilders are weak. So what the hell is the good old op supposed to do? Give the guy a break. I bet none of you here are as fashionable as him.

So ronnie coleman’s weak? news to me