World Breaker Brett: Having fun

Relationships 101?

2 Likes

12/10/18- Accessory Day

• Lat Pulldowns- x5x15-20 SS W/Cable Rows- x5x15-20

• Cable High Pulls- x5x15-20 SS W/DB Shrugs- x5x15-20

• DB Hammer Curls- x5x15-20 SS W/BB Curls- x5x15-20

• Ab Wheel- x3x12 SS W/Stir The Pot- x3x6 (Per Side)

(After the Yoke the night before, Abs were not having 100 reps of ab Wheels)

1 Like

12/11/18- Pressing Day
Log Strict Press- SS W/Pull-ups x10x3
Empty Log x10
85lbs/38kg x5
105lbs/47kg x5
125lbs/56kg x1
130lbs/59kg x5x3
135lbs/62kg x3x3
140lbs/63kg x2x2

Incline Bench SS W/T-Bar Rows- x5x8
Bar x20
135lbs/62kg x5x5

French Press- x5x12 SS W/Tricep Pushdowns- x5x20

1 Like

Thoughts on competing-
Browsed through USS Strongman and was looking for comps Iā€™d want to compete at, saw nationals and thought ā€œWell lets just look at the events I bet theyā€™re pretty coolā€

Events went as followed for teens under 220:

1. Log Clean & Press Away- 200lbs/91kg xMax Reps in 60sec W/12in Log
  2. 13in Wagon Wheel Deadlift- 475lbs/215kg xMax Reps in 60sec (Straps and Suit Allowed)
  3. Sandbag/Sled Medley-
    Take 2x200lbs/91kg Sandbags carry them 50ft/15m and load them into a sled and drag the sled back
  4. Yoke Walk- 605lbs/274kg x60ft/18m drop and turn then carry it back
  5. Sandbag Toss over 14ft/4.2m Bar- 20lbs/9kg, 25lbs/11kg, 30lbs/13kg

Then I said ā€œDamn thatā€™d be fun, what do I have to do to get in?ā€
From what I saw itā€™s and open entryā€¦ but itā€™s all the way in Columbus Ohio.
Which for me would be an easy $1000+ Dollar Tripā€¦ and a $155 entry fee.

So I did what any rational human being would do and calculated how much money I could make up to the competition. I calculated I could make $500 from my little bit of lawnmowing that I do. Iā€™m at the age where I can and at this point should have a job, so probably end up making more.

Long story short, I figure at the strength level Iā€™m at right now, and being 24-25weeks away from that, I think I have a strong chance at kicking ass at nationals, all of my strongest events (Except sandbag toss)

And yeah I realize itā€™s pretty damn dumb to dump $1000+ dollars on my first strongman competition, but my parents said if I can earn my money to do it, theyā€™d most likely take me to do it.

2 Likes

Yes brother! Go get that shit

1 Like

Boy, 100lb yoke PRā€™s are totally awesome and I sure do love them! (jk never happens to me, ever).

Last time I mile yokeā€™d I couldnā€™t sleep properly for a week. My bones were aching and my body would randomly heat up to fever like symptoms throughout the night.

1 Like

I often contemplate doing the mile yoke challenge, and Itā€™s bad because I know there is so much that it takes while giving not much Iā€™d expect in return. Hell just the thought of the challenge keeps me up for weeks lol.

AWESOME!

Canā€™t wait to watch you crush it mate

1 Like

Events look definitely doable for you. Not to be the grinch around this time but Iā€™d still advise you to do a few more local shows first.

Dropping over 1k on your first comp or any comp is pretty far out.

1 Like

I agree with this also, hate to mess up because I have no comp experience/first comp nerves on an expensive showā€¦ and itā€™s also nationals. Iā€™ll look for a good local comp that comes up before that show.

2 Likes

To cut or not to cut a lilā€™ bit of weight.
By the end of this current training block I should be sitting somewhere around 198lbs - 200lbs bodyweight. Iā€™ll have about 6 weeks between the end of this block and the beginning of Comp Prep. I definitely wonā€™t be a lean 198. Probably still keep my 2-pack in view and thats about it.

Would I be better off just keeping the bulk going over the 6 week period, or could I improve myself by dropping some bodyfat in that 6 week period??

I know @flipcollar has some experience with cutting weight nā€™ stuff. Whatā€™s your take on this?

Embrace the fat. Just kidding. Dude, you gotta listen to your body. Would I like to be a bit heavier? Yes, because maybe if I was heavier my bones wouldnā€™t bruise when I got under a barbell. But, thatā€™s life. However, at the same time Iā€™m in better condition + stronger than Iā€™ve ever been at 175. Where do you perform the best? If youā€™re getting stronger + not getting too fat, keep gaining. Being 200 lbs. is cool.

Agree

unless the rules are different for teens, you have to qualify. Qualifying is easy, but you still have to do it. Youā€™ll need to find a local show that offers a teen division, and place in the top 3. Then you can do nationals. I assume you can pick if you do the over or under 220 weight class, regardless of how you qualify. But for the open classes, you have to compete as whatever you qualified as. Which is why itā€™s such a bitch for me to keep doing lightweight. I canā€™t just sign up for nationals as a lightweight. I have to make that 20 lbs weightcut for a local show, then make the cut again for nationals. If I qualify as a middleweight, I have to compete as a middleweight.

So question: are you trying to compete in the open divisions at nationals, or teen? If you do a local show as an open competitor in, say, the 198 class, youā€™ll only be qualified as an open middleweight. I suggest you not do nationals as thatā€¦ lol. youā€™d get crushed. as a teen, youā€™d be fine.

Assuming your goal is to compete in the 220 teen nationals, Iā€™d say gain weight. For sure. Be as close to 220 by the time nationals hits as possible. Donā€™t limit strength gains just to keep bodyweight down when your class allows you to carry more weight. Thatā€™d be silly.

Ultimately, in a year or so, youā€™ll want to move to the open classes, and thatā€™s when you can figure out which weight class really suits you best, but I donā€™t think you need to make that decision yet. Just get strong right now.

1 Like

Definitely want to compete in teen 220ā€™s. From what USS is showing there are only 2 local events hosted before nats, but neither have teen divisions, am I just SOL?

I would contact the promoters of those shows and ask them if they will add a teen division. if interest is showed, they may do it. If not, I can look into what your other options are.

1 Like

Iā€™ll give that a try, hope they are interested lol.
Edit: Would it be smart to tell the promoter I need the Division to qualify for nationals?? or just leave it as me wanting to compete in the show?

I would say you should let them know your reason. Itā€™s possible that might work in your favor.

It might also be the case that, if you qualify in an open class (top 3), then that would qualify you as a teen as well. I donā€™t know the answer to that.

If you canā€™t find the answer, I can ask the gym owner at the gym I go to these questions. Heā€™s promoted/hosted multiple USS shows, he should know what you need to do.

1 Like

Decided to just ask Chris himself. @flipcollar
Time to get qualified I guess.

Ah, thatā€™s awesome that you donā€™t have to place or anything. I hope to see you at Nationals then! Iā€™ll be there, either as a lw or mw. The events are really good for me, so Iā€™m excited about it. This year nationals had my worst press, which is the circus db. Log press is much stronger for me. Iā€™m also very good with the sandbags. I won that event at Worldā€™s this year, with the same bag weights and height that Nationals has for the MW class next year. Deadlift event is light enough for me to get reps on. The only event thatā€™s going to be rough for me is the yoke. Iā€™m going to have to put in A LOT of work on that. If I want to place high, I need to place somewhere in the middle of the pack on yoke, and right now, Iā€™d legitimately probably come in last place on it.

2 Likes