World Breaker Brett: Having fun

School and Working out is getting progressively harder to balance. I’m at a new school (Charter school) that runs on a much different system to where they give us the books and we learn the information, test on it and if we get above a 90% on the tests we move onto the next book. This is great and I love the system it is just a very brutal system. Instead of being dense and keeping on with my gym sessions I’m gonna have to downsize.
My plan is to basically run on cube stuff and only have 2 days of gym.
One day dedicated to pressing, one day dedicated to squatting and deadlifting. Gonna use an alternating light/heavy like cube there just won’t be any specific rep days for squatting and deadlifting. Won’t be running heavy doubles, kinda modified it so I’m still getting sufficient volume through my squats and deadlifts. It will be regular cube for pressing (Speed/Rep/Heavy).
Gonna have a day where I focus on just bodybuilding and do shit in my garage with what I have.

3 Likes

This is a smart move. You will get a lot more out of sleeping for that extra 30-45 min. and doing better in school than you will out of training 4 days/wk. and feeling beat up 24/7.

Here’s a tip: limit gym stuff strictly to some well-planned strongman work and the basic lifts. You will get more out of these than you will get out of anything else. Also, like I said earlier, make most of your assistance BW work or BW/band work and do it at home. Or, if you want, superset it. Some examples that come to mind are GMs, weighted chins, and weighted push-ups. Or, depending on what you have in your garage, you can plan your assistance using this. Lifting is like chess — piece sacrifice is sometimes necessary in order to win in the end. Good luck, don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.

1 Like

11/5/18- Today is one of my two garage gym days. Just working on my muscle groups that I want to or need to add more meat too. Today was Back, Biceps & Abs.

• Wide-Grip Lat Pull-downs- x15-20 SS W/Low Cable Rows- x5x15-20 per exercise

• Rope High Pulls- x5x15-20 SS W/DB Shrugs- 55lbs/25kg x5x15-20

• Hammer Curls SS W/Straight Bar Preacher Curls-x5x15-20

• Ab Wheel’s- x5x15 SS W/Weighted Sit-ups- x5x15

Felt weird doing such a… well bro workout. None the less I enjoyed it and enjoyed the pump, hopefully I can add some more slabs of meat to my upper back for a nice big deadlift.

2 Likes

11/7/18- Heavy Squats & Spd. Deadlifts
Back Squat-
Bar x10
135lbs/62kg x10
185lbs/84kg x10
225lbs/102kg x1
245lbs/111kg x1
275lbs/124kg x1
285lbs/129kg x1
305lbs/138kg x5 (There’s my squat PR I’ve been itching for recently)

(Beltess) Deficit Deadlifts- 3sec Eccentric + 2sec Pause just off ground after eccentric
135lbs/62kg x5
225lbs/102kg x1
235lbs/106kg x3x5

Accessory Work

• Giant Set- x5 Rounds (Holy sweet mother of assistance volume)
    1.Belt Squats- 235lbs/106kg x20
    2.Barbell Rows- 135lbs/62kg x15
    3.RDL’s- 185lbs/84kg x15
    4.Standing Calf Raises on Belt Squat- x20

• Giant Set #2- x5 Rounds
    1.Rope Curls- x16,12,12,12,12 (I used chains and it felt different but it felt good)
    2.GHR’s- x8
    3.Goblet BSS’s- x8
    4.Band Face-pulls- x20

(So between belt squats, barbell squats, and bulgarian split squats, I accumulated 168 total reps of squats)

2 Likes

Is it weird that I find this the most impressive part of your workout? That’s some solid ab strength

2 Likes

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing: good luck walking mate

2 Likes

Thanks man! I always thought my core was sub-par. I’m itching to do a standing ab-wheel.

About 2 or so hours post leg workout and the pump has only somewhat subsided

2 Likes

Same here. Heavy ab work should be bringing up all of my other lifts. I’ve been doing it at least 2x/week.

1 Like

Oi Brett listen to Beethoven 9 and Shostakovich 12 next time you’re looking for some new classical stuff to listen to.

If you’re doing Beethoven but don’t want to sit through 60+ minutes definitely listen to the 1st and 4th movements, the 2nd and 3rd are eh. All of Shosta is pretty fire and that Symphony is much shorter, so pick any movement or listen to the whole thing (preferably the latter for both, though)

1 Like

Will do, much appreciated!

1 Like

11/9/18- Pressing Day
Incline DB Bench-
35lbs/15kg x15
65lbs/29kg x3x8

Paused Bench- SS W/T-Bar Rows
Bar x20
135lbs/62kg x10
155lbs/70kg x1
165lbs/74kg x3x10
175lbs/79kg x2x6 (Close-grip)

Strict Press- SS W/NG Chin-ups x5 (2sec pause at top and 3sec eccentric)
95lbs/43kg x5
105lbs/47kg x5
120lbs/54kg x5
95lbs/43kg x11

Accessory Work

• Chain Tricep Ext.- x80 (Heavy chains, top rep set was 9 reps)

• Ring Push-ups- x80 (Feet were rasied to be level with rings, top rep set was 8)

• Shoulder Finisher x3 Rounds- Lateral Raises, Front Raises & Face-pulls x15 reps each

1 Like

Okay so I need some help with sprinting. Mainly my sprint conditioning.
I’m fairly athletic, I can jump well and I can sprint fairly fast. (Like bottom string 100m sprinter)
The only issue is I can’t keep the sprint up for over 40-50m.
It’s mainly the muscle that brings my legs up for a new stride that gives before anything else, aside from more sprints, what can I do to better condition that muscle?

That’s your Psoas Major, Rectus Femoris and Sartorius working flexion. As far as I know, there aren’t too many exercises to actually target the hip flexors. What you could do is increase your volume of leg raises, which inadvertently stress the hip flexors a good deal.

1 Like

Everytime i do leg raises, my hip flexor immediately get super tight then my back feels like shit lolll. Be careful

1 Like

More high-rep Squat sets, foam rolling, and sled work. Keep it simple friend! Squats and heavy deadlifts made me faster. The hamstring is primarily responsible for running, believe it or not.

1 Like

??? Are you just swinging your legs willy-nilly? Not trying to be rude but I’ve been doing these consistently for ages, and I’ve never had an issue. Dave Tate recommends them above all other ab exercises

2 Likes

I contract my abs, quads and glutes and raise my legs up relatively slow. I try to control the eccentric as well. I have no clue why they mess with me like they do

It’s not necessarily the power I need, I can accelerate well and have a fairly high top speed, it’s just my ability to keep up that top speed that is lacking. My hip flexors just give on endurance too early to keep my strides long enough.

1 Like

Might give that a go. Needing to get back into sprinting so I can keep being athletic. Going to a school where I can’t do football means I haven’t sprinted at all this school year except for the occasional sled sprint or race with friends.

1 Like