T Nation

16 Yr Old Seeing Gains

Got a 16 year old friend from church wanting to get stronger for football. I introduced he and his father to 5-3-1 and his single rep max on the bench press was 185. Yesterday he sent me a text saying that he got 205 for three reps. I am beyond fired up for him.

Took him 4 weeks

[quote]Sportsman wrote:
Got a 16 year old friend from church wanting to get stronger for football. I introduced he and his father to 5-3-1 and his single rep max on the bench press was 185. Yesterday he sent me a text saying that he got 205 for three reps. I am beyond fired up for him.

Took him 4 weeks[/quote]
Congrats. Always great when you find out you’re getting a new dude onto the right track. Good food and a good program can do wonders in a young, motivated athlete.

But, not to rain on the parade and certainly not to be dismissive of what he’s done so far, I guess he’s not doing 5/3/1 then? No problem either way. It’d just suck if the kid hits an unnecessary speedbump because he went for too much, too soon. Maybe just check in and remind him that a big bench isn’t all there is to being a beast.