T Nation

16 Years Old & Skinny...Help

I started on/off working out in spetember 2007. I was kinda of playing around with my friends and i wanted to actually start a real regiment. I am 145 pounds about 5"8-5"11, Used to eat macdonals and 1 liter pop everyday, now I only drink 1 can per 2 days or so.

My workout plan is really messy, I do what I feel.
Ex. 1 set of barbell benchpress then 1 set of barbell rows, then 1 set of dips then 1 set sqauts then 1 set of curls and I repeat. (Most 6-8 Reps)
I workout 3 times a week
I read that do specific bodyparts and excering 1 part a week is optimal
I want to change that after reading this site, any adivce?

Diet:

Morning: 3 Eggs
Lunch: Pizza/Eggsanwich/Pasta/hamburger (Hard to control)
After School: Milk+ Cereal
Dinner: Anything my mom makes (Again hard to control)
Snack: Milk+ Cereal

Any Adivce, should i stop drinknig pop?

I sleep pretty late too…(Heard it’s important but is it alright to sleep at 1~2? )

I’ll post a pic later

So many issuses… help anyone?

maybe stick to the three powerlifting moves : bench press , squat and deadlift. Charles poliquin recommends the snatch grip deadlift and so do i. More eggs for breakfast would be good. good luck buddy :slight_smile:

Yes, stop drinking soda…or at least switch to a splenda-based diet like Jones.

There are tons of traiing plans here, but someone will be along to suggest ‘Starting Strength’ by Rippetoe soon enough.

Man I used to drink 11 cans of soda a day, I switched to water and I can’t even drink that sugar filled shit anymore.
Switch to water it’ll be the best thing you ever do.
Uhm… as for your diet I’m in a similar situation and I’m a similar weight to you so my advice would be just to boost up your activity levels, and see where you are in six weeks time.

[quote]skinnyasiandude wrote:
I started on/off working out in spetember 2007. I was kinda of playing around with my friends and i wanted to actually start a real regiment. I am 145 pounds about 5"8-5"11, Used to eat macdonals and 1 liter pop everyday, now I only drink 1 can per 2 days or so.

My workout plan is really messy, I do what I feel.
Ex. 1 set of barbell benchpress then 1 set of barbell rows, then 1 set of dips then 1 set sqauts then 1 set of curls and I repeat. (Most 6-8 Reps)
I workout 3 times a week
I read that do specific bodyparts and excering 1 part a week is optimal
I want to change that after reading this site, any adivce?

Diet:

Morning: 3 Eggs
Lunch: Pizza/Eggsanwich/Pasta/hamburger (Hard to control)
After School: Milk+ Cereal
Dinner: Anything my mom makes (Again hard to control)
Snack: Milk+ Cereal

Any Adivce, should i stop drinknig pop?

I sleep pretty late too…(Heard it’s important but is it alright to sleep at 1~2? )

I’ll post a pic later

So many issuses… help anyone?
[/quote]

That diet is f’ng terrible. Can you afford any protein shakes? (i recommend myoplex, met-rx, optimum nutrition and of course Biotest)

And what do you mean you can’t control the lunch? Can’t you make a couple of sandwhiches in the morning before you go to school and eat them instead? Can’t you always have a hamburger?

Sample diet until you get your head around things:

Breakfast: 2 slices toast w/ peanut butter & jam, 3 eggs, cereal + milk (you can have a protein shake instead of the eggs)

Snack: bag of nuts, or protein shake

Lunch: Sandwhich x2, have whatever you want in them (i recommend peanut butter and banana) along with 2 small cartons skim milk

After school: Sandwhich: Fill with meat, any meat. Make sure it has lettuce and tomatoes and it’s whole wheat bread. 1 bag of baked chips, 16oz water.

After workout: protein shake or chocolate milk along with 2 rice crispy treats

Dinner: Whatever your family is eating, eat all of it, as much as you can.

Before bed: protein shake with 1 tbsp olive oil OR glass milk w/ some cheese.

Drinking pop is fine but no more than 1-2 cans per day.

Your training sounds ok, if you want to make it more of a ‘plan’ then do 2 lower body days and 2 upper body days in a week, here’s a sample plan, you can change it up so it suits you:

monday: lower body
squats - 3x12
romanian deadlift - 3x8
dumbbell lunge - 2x12
Weighted abs - 3x10

tuesday: upper body
dumbbell bench - 4x8
barbell row - 4x8
barbell shrug - 3x12
standing db curl - 3x8
triceps pushdown - 3x10

thursday: lower body
deadlift - 3x5
leg press - 3x12
barbell lunge - 2x12
Abs - 3x20

saturday: upper body
incline dumbbell bench - 4x12
*pull ups - 4x8-12
dumbbell military press - 4x12
dumbbell row - 3x20 (heavy as you can and grind those reps out)

*if pull ups are too hard then do Lat pulldown instead until you can do them. Aim to be able to do weighted pull ups.

There you go, no excuses for a piss poor diet or training. I’m fairly confident if you follow what i’ve laid out you will make good gains. Even if you just follow it until you find out what works best for you.

Don’t go changing up your training/diet and over-analyzing everything all the time, be consistant, thats the key.

and oh yea. GO TO FUCKING BED EARLY.

You’re sixteen, and that’s going to affect the advice you recieve.

As far as diet goes, the only thing you really need to be concerned about is eating more, and eating more protein. Dan John (one of the contributors for T-Nation had this to say about beginner nutrition;

[quote] Dan John Wrote:
My universal short list for all dieting advice: 1. Eat protein at every meal. 2. Eat fiber at every meal. 3. Take fish oil capsules. 4. Drink a lot of water. 5. Never miss breakfast. Yep, beginner stuff. But which of the rules do you break every day? Take a few honest weeks of following the basics of diet and you might be amazed at your results.[/quote]

I agree with him wholeheartedly.

As far as lifting goes, now that you’re serious, it’s time to put in some time to developing a foundation. Work on bodyweight exercises until you can handle them for your age in reps.

So for example, a workout would be:
Pushups: 2x 16
Bodyweight squats: 2x16
Fat-man pullups: 2x16
Planks: 2x 60 seconds
Bodyweight lunges: 2x16

When you can do that without problems (and you may already be able to) get back in the gym and do either
a) Starting Strength

b) Reg Parks 5x5 (phase 1)
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/most_recent/reg_parks_5x5_program

Use a training log and record the weights you’re using. When you stop seeing progress, make a concious effort to eat more.

Good luck. Post here if you have any problems or any further questions.

Thanks for all the Advice =D

[quote]hotdog.350 wrote:
maybe stick to the three powerlifting moves : bench press , squat and deadlift. Charles poliquin recommends the snatch grip deadlift and so do i. More eggs for breakfast would be good. good luck buddy :)[/quote]

I’m a bit scared of deadlifts and sqauts, I heard that it stunts your growth so I’m been keeping light and doing it rarely

[quote]wirewound wrote:
Yes, stop drinking soda…or at least switch to a splenda-based diet like Jones.

There are tons of traiing plans here, but someone will be along to suggest ‘Starting Strength’ by Rippetoe soon enough.[/quote]

Don’t Think I may drink Jones, splenda is bad for your health O.O

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
Man I used to drink 11 cans of soda a day, I switched to water and I can’t even drink that sugar filled shit anymore.
Switch to water it’ll be the best thing you ever do.
Uhm… as for your diet I’m in a similar situation and I’m a similar weight to you so my advice would be just to boost up your activity levels, and see where you are in six weeks time.[/quote]

Ya, pop tastes crap after you stop, but when u start again, it tastes good plus I dink lots of bubble tea. Also, what do you mean boost ur activity levels? Workout more, play sports?

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
That diet is f’ng terrible. Can you afford any protein shakes? (i recommend myoplex, met-rx, optimum nutrition and of course Biotest)[/quote]

Can’t get my hands on any supplement…

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Breakfast: 2 slices toast w/ peanut butter & jam, 3 eggs, cereal + milk (you can have a protein shake instead of the eggs)

Lunch: Sandwhich x2, have whatever you want in them (i recommend peanut butter and banana) along with 2 small cartons skim milk

After school: Sandwhich: Fill with meat, any meat. Make sure it has lettuce and tomatoes and it’s whole wheat bread. 1 bag of baked chips, 16oz water.

Drinking pop is fine but no more than 1-2 cans per day. [/quote]

Uh, do i need to eat that much? O.O I can probabyl eat cereal 3 eggs and a cup of milk, but don’t think I can eat the toast.

For lunch, I’ll probably eat egg sandwich, Are you talking about the big carton or the small one?

I workout after school so… dunno what to do…

Before bed- proccesed cheese ok?

Also, that plan won’t work… I workout 3 times a day: moday, tuseday and friday.

[quote]Otep wrote:
I agree with him wholeheartedly.

As far as lifting goes, now that you’re serious, it’s time to put in some time to developing a foundation. Work on bodyweight exercises until you can handle them for your age in reps.

So for example, a workout would be:
Pushups: 2x 16
Bodyweight squats: 2x16
Fat-man pullups: 2x16
Planks: 2x 60 seconds
Bodyweight lunges: 2x16

When you can do that without problems (and you may already be able to) get back in the gym and do either
a) Starting Strength
http://forum.dutchbodybuilding
b) Reg Parks 5x5 (phase 1)
http://www.T-Nation.com/...rks_5x5_program
[/quote]

Uh, I can do 15 pushups last time i checked, i tired sqauts, could do it… dunno what fat-man pullups are but i can do 5~6 chin ups and no pull ups. I think i can plank for 1 min and i can do the lunges. so… should i stick with bodyweights?

Thanks for the help!! It’s very much appreciated

I’m a bit scared of deadlifts and sqauts, I heard that it stunts your growth so I’m been keeping light and doing it rarely[/quote]

deadlifts, no, definitely not, infact they produce an hormonal response which would probably help increase your growth.

Squats, meh, heavy weights on your back isn’t the best for growing which is why i like to do 10+ reps on them, but again the hormonal output you get from these probably outweighs any effect it has on your growth.

So do these, both.

Ya, pop tastes crap after you stop, but when u start again, it tastes good plus I dink lots of bubble tea. Also, what do you mean boost ur activity levels? Workout more, play sports?[/quote]

Yea play sports, or go for walks, do swimming 1-2x a week, shit like that.

Goodfellow wrote:

Drinking pop is fine but no more than 1-2 cans per day.

Uh, do i need to eat that much? O.O I can probabyl eat cereal 3 eggs and a cup of milk, but don’t think I can eat the toast.

For lunch, I’ll probably eat egg sandwich, Are you talking about the big carton or the small one?

I workout after school so… dunno what to do…

Before bed- proccesed cheese ok?

Also, that plan won’t work… I workout 3 times a day: moday, tuseday and friday.[/quote]

Yes you do need to eat that much! No questions asked. And I was talking about the small cartons of milk.

I know you workout after school which is why I wrote down the ‘after school’ and ‘after workout’ parts.

Processed cheese is ok before bed.

Ok, if you can workout 3 times a week, do this:

Monday:
Dumbbell bench press (4x12-15)
Bent over barbell row (4x10-12)
dumbbell military press (3x8-10)
standing db curl (3x8)

Tuesday:
Squat (3x12) OR Deadlift (3x5) - Alternate between the two every week
Dumbbell lunge (3x12)
Calf raise (4x12)
Weighted abs (3x10)

Friday:
Pull ups (3x8-10) - lat pulldown if you cant do pull ups
Incline dumbbell bench press (3x8-10)
dumbbell row (3x20)
triceps pushdown (3x10)

Hmm… that works… umm is there anywhere i can put in dips and what do i eat on the rest days and weekends?

Hmm… that works… umm is there anywhere i can put in dips and what do i eat on the rest days and weekends?[/quote]

do dips instead of tricep pushdown.

eat the same on rest days and weekends just dont have your chocolate milk/rice krispies. And instead of sandwhiches you can have a baked potatoe or chicken breast with rice etc.

If you have access to a commercial gym, you have access to protein powder…make a friend and have them pick it up for you if need be.

Well, everything that needed to be said was basically said so far, but if you are going to drink soda, make sure it is the regular kind and not the diet one as those are much worse and full of lies and children’s tears.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

Calf raise (4x12)
[/quote]

I can’t do those… don’t have that machine. What can i do to supplement it? Cable Seated Row? o.O

[quote]Jeffe wrote:
If you have access to a commercial gym, you have access to protein powder…make a friend and have them pick it up for you if need be.
[/quote]

School Gym, sometimes closes early some times doesn’t.

Goodfellow wrote:

Calf raise (4x12)

I can’t do those… don’t have that machine. What can i do to supplment it? Cable Seated Row?
[/quote]

No, lol. Stand with a loaded barbell in your hands (like you just finished a deadlift) and stand up on your toes.

[quote] skinnyasiandude wrote:
should i stick with bodyweights? [/quote]
No. You’re good to go lift.

[quote] skinnyasiandude wrote:
I can’t do calf raises because I don’t have that machine. What can i do to supplment it? [/quote]

Load up a smith machine with your working weight. Stack 3-4 45lb plates so that when your feet are positioned directly under the bar (where they’d normally be for standing calf raises) you get a good stretch in your calf. Then unlock the bar and start calf raising.

Not a fan of the deadlift version, because your grip strength will give out LONG before your calf strength will. And there’s no bottom half of the exercise.

I disagree with Goodfellows about squats. I don’t think they’ll stunt your growth. I haven’t read anything to support this idea, and it sounds like the same old wives tale about lifting in general stunting growth (which is bullshit). Look at any high school football player in his college years. Is he taller?

[quote]Otep wrote:
I disagree with Goodfellows about squats. I don’t think they’ll stunt your growth. I haven’t read anything to support this idea, and it sounds like the same old wives tale about lifting in general stunting growth (which is bullshit). Look at any high school football player in his college years. Is he taller?
[/quote]

I DID NOT say that they would stunt his growth, I said that having a very heavy bar on your back won’t do wonders for your growth BUT the hormonal output you get would outweigh any problems, and I told him to do squats and deadlifts.

more milk+cereal and party pizzas. and counter strike.

[quote]Breakzilla wrote:
more milk+cereal and party pizzas. and counter strike.[/quote]

ha. nice.
and fruit rollups (which have fruit in them).
dan

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Otep wrote:

I DID NOT say that they would stunt his growth, I said that having a very heavy bar on your back won’t do wonders for your growth BUT the hormonal output you get would outweigh any problems, and I told him to do squats and deadlifts.
[/quote]

Re-read your statement. You’re right, sorry about my misinterpretation.

Please dude, there’s no need for a picture.

Start by listening to advice you get here, and read information on T-Nation and exrx.