T Nation

16 Years Old, Diet Help

OK I’m 178cm tall and 75kg and 14-15bf%. My training looks like this.

Monday: Lifting-Legs
Tuesday: Lifting
Wednesday: Interval Running
Thursday: Lifting
Friday: Lifting
Saturday: Conditioning
Sunday: Interval Running

The workouts I do are from this site. Right now I’m doing Christian Thibaudeau’s old superhero routine and in two weeks I’ll change to a push and pull. I stick to 6-12 reps mainly. With proper form in all exercises. I know I should swap firday with saturday but because of my schedule I can’t.

For my diet I follow Martin Bherkan’s leangains intermittent fasting because I love to eat big meals with a pound of meat. I also grow more like this. It helped me break through lots of plateaus I had with the big lifts when I tried to increase the weight and it fits right into my schedule. My day looks like this:

Breakfast: Coffee
Lunch: Lots of meat and a huge salad and some sweet potato or yams or rice.
Post Workout: 2 scoops whey and some fruit or other faster carbs
Dinner: Lots of meat and a huge salad. Something sweet for dessert like protein waffles or protein ice cream.

I always eat more carbs and less fats on lifting days and more fat and less carbs on non lifting days.

I know I am not big but compared to when I weighed 62kg last year I’ve grown a lot. The thing is that summeris coming around in 2-3 months were I live. I am also going to be in miami in December. I want to be shredded like I was at 62kg and 8bf%. Not that skinny of course.

Please don’t say you are 16 you don’t need abs. I want to lose fat because it feels great when you are ripped. I know I have a long way togo in terms of growing and the last thing I want to be is a skinny boy with abs.

I know I should implement macro counting and carb cycling but I’ve gotten to the point of calculating them and but I can’t seem to put it in action. I mean you would have to weigh all your food and for doing that I would have to stick to eating just rice and chicken for the whole day and weigh it out the day before.

Otherwise It would be really hard and time consuming. Also I don’t think my family would approve of it. I am growing but I want to keep growing with a leaner body.

My macros

My macros

[quote]ForumSmitH wrote:
For my diet I follow Martin Bherkan’s leangains intermittent fasting because I love to eat big meals with a pound of meat.[/quote]
You’d get better results eating big meals three times a day instead of one or two. I’m not really a fan of fasting for younger lifters, especially guys working on building their base. Check the basic nutrition stuff I discussed here:

I read your thread in the Steroids forum. You got a lot of great advice from guys like dt79, EyeDentist, and even Reed (as gruff as he can be sometimes, he definitely knows his shit). It’s important that you keep that in mind going forward, because frankly, it sounds like your friends are dumb.

[quote]I am also going to be in miami in December. I want to be shredded like I was at 62kg and 8bf%.

the last thing I want to be is a skinny boy with abs.[/quote]
If you try to reach that weight and bodyfat in that short amount of time, you will absolutely end up skinny. You’re at a stage where you can build a ton of strength and muscle with the right plan, and set yourself up for good gains over the next couple of years. I know summer’s coming up, but there’s no reason to rush for short term gains when it’s at the expense of wasted time and potential progress.

I saw you said you bench 100kg. What are your numbers on the other big lifts? Squat, deadlift, overhead press, row, pull-ups?

Wait, so planning an effective nutrition plan takes time and effort? Aw crap. Dude, the expression “hardcore in the gym, pussy in the kitchen” exists because too many guys underappreciate the role their diet plays in getting results. Deadlifting isn’t easy, running sprints isn’t easy, and tracking macros isn’t easy.

Alrighty. But what exactly did you eat yesterday?

OK so a few things:

-I don’t like to count calories either, but it does help to have a rough idea of what you’re eating so buy a food scale and a sharpie. Fill a cup with 100g of rice, and mark on the cup the level the rice comes up to with the sharpie. Now you’ll know exactly how much carbohydrate you’re eating. For the sweet potatoes, just weigh a few so you get good at eyeballing the weight. It doesn’t matter that it won’t be exact.

-fasting is all well and good, but at your age I’d rather you had a breakfast in there and another meal before bed. Have a protein shake when you get up and a protein+fat snack before bed.

-Dude, if you are going to have something sweet just have something sweet. Don’t worry about it having to be a protein pudding or whatever. You’ll be getting plenty protein with your dinner anyway so adding another protein serving with dessert is overkill.

Well I have crappy legs. 130kgs deadlift for 6-8 reps. Squat 100kgs for 6-8 reps.

I eat lunch at my school’s cafeteria and it’s really hard to measure. I guess I could get the food served on the salad cups.

Why is fasting not good at my age?

[quote]ForumSmitH wrote:
130kgs deadlift for 6-8 reps. Squat 100kgs for 6-8 reps.[/quote]
When someone’s flat bench and squat are identical and their deadlift is just a bit higher, it tells me that either they’ve been on terrible training plans or they’re dysfunctional, imbalanced, and on track for an injury. So, yeah, that’s not good. And I’m sorry, but “crappy legs” would imply a “good” anything else.

Yesterday, I had: a large coffee with some stevia, 4 whole eggs with 4 chicken sausage links and one chopped red pepper; a large salad with a tin of sardines, balsamic vinegar, and a Coke Zero; a bunch of pork loin with sauerkraut and apples; and two scoops of protein in water with fish oil pills.

Now you go.

Same reason you don’t need to be doing a super-intricate and methodically planned training plan. When you’re building a base of size and strength, like you’re still doing whether or not you think so, you start with the basics and eventually experiment with unique/extreme methods (like IF or very low carb plans or eating every two hours, whatever).

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]ForumSmitH wrote:
130kgs deadlift for 6-8 reps. Squat 100kgs for 6-8 reps.[/quote]
When someone’s flat bench and squat are identical and their deadlift is just a bit higher, it tells me that either they’ve been on terrible training plans or they’re dysfunctional, imbalanced, and on track for an injury. So, yeah, that’s not good. And I’m sorry, but “crappy legs” would imply a “good” anything else.

Yesterday, I had: a large coffee with some stevia, 4 whole eggs with 4 chicken sausage links and one chopped red pepper; a large salad with a tin of sardines, balsamic vinegar, and a Coke Zero; a bunch of pork loin with sauerkraut and apples; and two scoops of protein in water with fish oil pills.

Now you go.

Same reason you don’t need to be doing a super-intricate and methodically planned training plan. When you’re building a base of size and strength, like you’re still doing whether or not you think so, you start with the basics and eventually experiment with unique/extreme methods (like IF or very low carb plans or eating every two hours, whatever).[/quote]

Ok. Yesterday I drank a coffee with two splenda. I then drank water until I broke the fast at 1:20pm at school. I had lots of fried fish. Maybe 2 cups. A sweet potato and 2 cups salad mainly broccolli some zuchinni. Then I had another coffee when I got home. Took a dump and headed out to the gym. I trained from 530pm to 630ish. I drank my two scoops whey and ate a banana because I didn’t have any other fruit available. Then I had dinner at 8:00pm. I had One cup of green beans with One cup ground beef and two chicken breast patties. I also ate a salad with lettuce tomato and some avocado. Then I ate dr sara solomon’s proetin vhocolate peanut butter ice cream. It is made with one cup milk. 3/4 cup zuchinni and one scoop whey. Normally I don’t have this much protein. This was an unusual day. I don’t usually have the ice cream.

Also I do IF because I find it much easier than having three big meals. I don’t have time for breakfast and small meals don’t satisfy me.

The last thing I am is lazy. If you think I do anything wrong it is because I don’t know better. I couldn’t have more dedication. I am used to even more grueling training plans and I follow everything strictly.

I also read your article and it makes a lot of sense. But I think I’m past that stage now. I don’t want to have a physique that impresses other people my age. I want to have a physique that competes with other adults like eye dentist’s picture. Same goes for strength. Being stronger than my peers is very easy but being the strongest I can be is what I want.

The reason my squat is bad is because It’s the only exercise I hate. There’s something about the weight pressing you against the floor. Deadlifts I do like. Some body pics

Another

And another

[quote]ForumSmitH wrote:
I also read your article and it makes a lot of sense. But I think I’m past that stage now. I don’t want to have a physique that impresses other people my age. I want to have a physique that competes with other adults like eye dentist’s picture. Same goes for strength. Being stronger than my peers is very easy but being the strongest I can be is what I want.[/quote]

It’ll come in time, but it really does take TIME. Eyedentist has been lifting weights for longer than you’ve been alive. A lot longer. I can guarantee you he didn’t look the way he dose now when he was your age.

From the pictures you’ve posted there, you look very skinny. I know you are worried about fat gain and it’s a valid concern (life’s better with abs - it just is) but you are LIGHT YEARS away from ever being considered even remotely fat. At the age you are, and as skinny as you are, I doubt you could get fat if you tried.

Drop the fasting; you need a meal in there to get the calories/protein you need. At the very least have a protein shake and some fruit.

You need to get over this fear of putting on fat. It’ll hold you back. I’m not saying you need to pound down a ton of McDonalds every day and overbulk to the point of type II diabetes, but you need to get your calories in so EAT.

[quote]ForumSmitH wrote:

The last thing I am is lazy. If you think I do anything wrong it is because I don’t know better. I couldn’t have more dedication. I am used to even more grueling training plans and I follow everything strictly.

[/quote]

If you aren’t lazy, you also need time in the kitchen.

Here’s a vid of Jordz from the bb forum preparing for the week.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]ForumSmitH wrote:
I also read your article and it makes a lot of sense. But I think I’m past that stage now. I don’t want to have a physique that impresses other people my age. I want to have a physique that competes with other adults like eye dentist’s picture. Same goes for strength. Being stronger than my peers is very easy but being the strongest I can be is what I want.[/quote]

It’ll come in time, but it really does take TIME. Eyedentist has been lifting weights for longer than you’ve been alive. A lot longer. I can guarantee you he didn’t look the way he dose now when he was your age.

From the pictures you’ve posted there, you look very skinny. I know you are worried about fat gain and it’s a valid concern (life’s better with abs - it just is) but you are LIGHT YEARS away from ever being considered even remotely fat. At the age you are, and as skinny as you are, I doubt you could get fat if you tried.

Drop the fasting; you need a meal in there to get the calories/protein you need. At the very least have a protein shake and some fruit.

You need to get over this fear of putting on fat. It’ll hold you back. I’m not saying you need to pound down a ton of McDonalds every day and overbulk to the point of type II diabetes, but you need to get your calories in so EAT.[/quote]

Agreed. Adding breakfast will go a long way as far as progress is concerned. Don’t worry about the intricate details of everything. You are young, so eat a lot and lift heavy. It takes a lot of TIME to build a decent base of mass and strength.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]ForumSmitH wrote:

[/quote]

Indeed. Take a look at the thread EyeDentist, how do you train? in the BSL subforum. Scroll about 1/3 down the first page, and you’ll find a pic showing what I looked like a couple of months before my 19th birthday.

I guess I should have mentioned my appetite is huge. I could easily fit more food in my feeding window and yes I get fat easily. Two years ago I was at 32% bf and I was at 20 earlier this year when I tried to bulk.

That means it will take even more time.