T Nation

16 Year Old Needs Help

im 16 years old 5’10" and 200-210lbs, problem is i need to loose some weight.
i stumbled across this site somehow and started reading, great facts and info on here.

i did a little bit of reading on these forums and found out at my age i shouldnt take anything like Alpha Male, but read Rez-V and Flameout are good products.

i dont need/want to be and look like a body builder like most of you guys want and are, im more of a computer guy. i had bad astma when i was younger so i stayed away from sports. i just need to get rid of some of this weight

last summer i used to do a ton of biking and it helped a bit, but the winter was a bit cold and to much snow to ride and i dont belong to a gym or anything, then right after winter the days were hotter than hell for some reason (gotta love michigan weather)

what should i do? would taking rev-z (and maybe Flameout) and biking a lot like i used to help? i also am going to start to watch a bit closer what im eating, i know that has some to do with it

[quote]first1nline wrote:
im 16 years old 5’10" and 200-210lbs, problem is i need to loose some weight.
i stumbled across this site somehow and started reading, great facts and info on here.

i did a little bit of reading on these forums and found out at my age i shouldnt take anything like Alpha Male, but read rev-z and Flameout are good products.

i dont need/want to be and look like a body builder like most of you guys want and are, im more of a computer guy. i had bad astma when i was younger so i stayed away from sports. i just need to get rid of some of this weight

last summer i used to do a ton of biking and it helped a bit, but the winter was a bit cold and to much snow to ride and i dont belong to a gym or anything, then right after winter the days were hotter than hell for some reason (gotta love michigan weather)

what should i do? would taking rev-z (and maybe Flameout) and biking a lot like i used to help? i also am going to start to watch a bit closer what im eating, i know that has some to do with it[/quote]

Well, I don’t have a lot of knowledge of Flameout and Rez-V so I won’t comment on those. However, in regard to exercise my advice would be just stick to the basics: all kinds of cardio, whatever suits your fancy… swimming, running, biking, sports, etc.

As for your eating habits, I’d honestly say don’t worry about it. I know someone’s probably going to lampoon me for this, but I’ve always hated the idea of diets - and I frankly think they’re totally unnecessary at our age (I’m also 16).

The beautiful thing about being teenagers, is that our metabolism is kickass. I’ve never gone on any sort of diet for the time I’ve been training - in fact, I’ve made it a point recently to try and eat MORE, specifically meat, to gain mass.

Anyway, my philosophy has always been if you work hard and exercise you really shouldn’t have to worry about what you eat - of course, I’m not saying you should pig out on twinkies and ho-hos and not expect to get fat, I’m just saying that I believe mapping out a diet and counting carbs and calories and all that is just unnecessary for teenagers.

Exercise well and you should only need to use common sense in regard to your eating habits. I consider myself very strong for my size, and I’ve never gone on any sort of diet and I’m still very slender and muscular.

The only advice I’m going to give you pertains to every situation in life.

Don’t make a habit out of listening to 16 year olds advice.

Computers and bodybuilding are not incompatible.

[quote]Crimzin21 wrote:

Well, I don’t have a lot of knowledge of Flameout and Rez-V so I won’t comment on those. However, in regard to exercise my advice would be just stick to the basics: all kinds of cardio, whatever suits your fancy… swimming, running, biking, sports, etc.

As for your eating habits, I’d honestly say don’t worry about it. I know someone’s probably going to lampoon me for this, but I’ve always hated the idea of diets - and I frankly think they’re totally unnecessary at our age (I’m also 16).

The beautiful thing about being teenagers, is that our metabolism is kickass. I’ve never gone on any sort of diet for the time I’ve been training - in fact, I’ve made it a point recently to try and eat MORE, specifically meat, to gain mass.

Anyway, my philosophy has always been if you work hard and exercise you really shouldn’t have to worry about what you eat - of course, I’m not saying you should pig out on twinkies and ho-hos and not expect to get fat, I’m just saying that I believe mapping out a diet and counting carbs and calories and all that is just unnecessary for teenagers.

Exercise well and you should only need to use common sense in regard to your eating habits. I consider myself very strong for my size, and I’ve never gone on any sort of diet and I’m still very slender and muscular.

[/quote]

All teenagers have the same metabolism, which is why there are no fat people until adulthood

Rez-V and Flameout are great products and yes I feel you could use them BUT you need to nail a good and consistent diet first or its all for not. Id suggest you read the are you a beginner thread, start getting a base of knowledge on training diet and come back with directed questions that we can help with

Phill

JonP I hope that was sarcastic. There are definately waddling little fatties walking around all across america. Some of it can be attributed to exercise levels and eating habits but some also has to do with genetics (ie metabolism). Not all teenagers have the same metabolism.

That’s why some kids eat all the junk they want and stay skinny and others have their ass bulge out just thinking of that donut in the Dunkin Donuts showcase.

[quote]JonP wrote:
Crimzin21 wrote:
there are no fat people until adulthood

[/quote]

Now, that’s not entirely true and I pass through living proof of it every day of my life at my high school lol. :wink:

[quote]Crimzin21 wrote:
JonP wrote:
Crimzin21 wrote:

Now, that’s not entirely true and I pass through living proof of it every day of my life at my high school lol. :wink:

[/quote]

OMG… he was being sarcastic, and pointing out how many of Crimzin21’s statements aren’t exactly true for everyone.

I’m 16 and I have a very slow metabolism. It’s good when I want to bulk or put on weight because the scale goes up quickly. But when trying to cut fat, I’m at a disadvantage.

I’m a bit of a newbie here (although I have read a ton), and I think what the OP should do is get your nutrition handled and do a lot of exercise. Worry about supplements when you have the basics down. No need to get too complicated.

[quote]Mike Benfield wrote:
Computers and bodybuilding are not incompatible.[/quote]

Just a note on that, I am a software and sound engineer myself, and I run a quite successful Media editing company. Bodybuilding and weightlifting are compatible and are built into my phisique. I do spend hours behind a computer screen, though my body dosen’t reflect my job. Just thought Id mention that.

Oh and OP… I am a purest and don’t take supplements or any other drugs because I like knowing that my muscle is all natural and hard earned… plus I’ll always have it. There’s no quick fix for weight loss, but with time and effort your rewards will become evident.

~Peace yall

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Crimzin21 wrote:
JonP wrote:
Crimzin21 wrote:

OMG… he was being sarcastic, and pointing out how many of Crimzin21’s statements aren’t exactly true for everyone.

I’m 16 and I have a very slow metabolism. It’s good when I want to bulk or put on weight because the scale goes up quickly. But when trying to cut fat, I’m at a disadvantage.

I’m a bit of a newbie here (although I have read a ton), and I think what the OP should do is get your nutrition handled and do a lot of exercise. Worry about supplements when you have the basics down. No need to get too complicated.[/quote]

My statements weren’t intended for the general public, they were intended for the 16 year old OP. I didn’t mean to suggest that teenagers have identical metabolisms, but it’s certainly true that in general, teenagers have very fast metabolisms.

Of course, the fat teenagers you see aren’t fat because they have a slow metabolism. They’re fat because they eat unholy amounts of food and don’t get any exercise.