16 Year Old 500lb Deadlift

So more reps with lighter weight and better form, and assistance excersises as well as mental cues right?

Should be a good plan, hope it goes well for you.

IMHO you need to work on your set up.
1-Your scapula must be above the bar instead of your mid chest to get the best leverage.
2- you are bending at the waist too much. To fix it learn to reach the bar by doing a hip hing without bending the knees until you can’t stick your butt out anymore then bend your knees to reach the bar. Your posterior chain will be more involved.

look at how your hips rise before the weight leaves the floor.

I’m pretty sure if you fix the set up you will be tighter, get better leverage and you will be able to lift MORE weight.
You are a strong guy, pulling 500 at 16 with no solid form is amazing, so benefit of your gift and work on your form and you will get 600 soon.

About the rounding in your back, i think it is inevitable because you squat 70% of your deadlift but your can work on it by strengthening the legs and hips but it is not a big issue since your lower back is almost flat.
Many experienced powerlifters do deadlifts with a rounded big and reaaly big weights. Kostantin Kostantinov is the best example and there is a huge difference between his RM squat and Deadlift.

[quote]kalb wrote:
IMHO you need to work on your set up.
1-Your scapula must be above the bar instead of your mid chest to get the best leverage.
2- you are bending at the waist too much. To fix it learn to reach the bar by doing a hip hing without bending the knees until you can’t stick your butt out anymore then bend your knees to reach the bar. Your posterior chain will be more involved.

look at how your hips rise before the weight leaves the floor.

I’m pretty sure if you fix the set up you will be tighter, get better leverage and you will be able to lift MORE weight.
You are a strong guy, pulling 500 at 16 with no solid form is amazing, so benefit of your gift and work on your form and you will get 600 soon.

About the rounding in your back, i think it is inevitable because you squat 70% of your deadlift but your can work on it by strengthening the legs and hips but it is not a big issue since your lower back is almost flat.
Many experienced powerlifters do deadlifts with a rounded big and reaaly big weights. Kostantin Kostantinov is the best example and there is a huge difference between his RM squat and Deadlift. [/quote]
Thanks for the advice, I will work on getting my shoulders over the bar more and bending less. Is it necessarily bad that I deadlift so much more than I squat? I train the equally, my body just responds better to deadlifts I guess. And I’ve never had back problems because of the rounded back, so I don’t really think it’s an issue as long as it’s not halting my progress, but what do I know

[quote]Hunter2016 wrote:
And I’ve never had back problems because of the rounded back, so I don’t really think it’s an issue as long as it’s not halting my progress, but what do I know[/quote]

As stated before, you haven’t had any problems up to now, and in this case previous results != future results.

To give an analogy, what would you say to me if I said that yesterday I played a game of chicken in a 6 lane highway during peak hour and didn’t get killed, therefore I can do it all I want and nothing bad will happen to me.

See the issue?

I’d also have to disagree with kalb saying your lower back is mostly flat. Maybe during setup and lockout, but not anywhere else.

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:
It’s for safety, strength, maximising weight lifted through taking advantage of correct muscles and leverages, and poor form can cause you to fail lifts if you ever plan to complete.

I’m not great at explaining these concepts in text, but this video kind of demonstrates what I mean

I started watching this video and 30sec in when he said that the shoulders should be in front of the bar I shut it off… Terrible advice. Perhaps somewhat useful for a clean pull but certainly not a deadlift.

[quote]arramzy wrote:
I started watching this video and 30sec in when he said that the shoulders should be in front of the bar I shut it off… Terrible advice. Perhaps somewhat useful for a clean pull but certainly not a deadlift.[/quote]

I didn’t really like the positioning of the drawings either, but at 1:40 he explains the exact technique error that’s happening in the OP’s video. I probably should have linked to that part specifically.

What I’m trying to get across is how if the hips rise on the initial pull, the back becomes more horizontal, the barbell drifts away from the body and the moment arm is increased making the lift more inefficient. That’s not even getting into the injury risk of lifting in such a manner.

[quote]238 wrote:
As stated before, you haven’t had any problems up to now, and in this case previous results != future results.

To give an analogy, what would you say to me if I said that yesterday I played a game of chicken in a 6 lane highway during peak hour and didn’t get killed, therefore I can do it all I want and nothing bad will happen to me.

See the issue?

I’d also have to disagree with kalb saying your lower back is mostly flat. Maybe during setup and lockout, but not anywhere else.[/quote]

To back this up, I’ll add a couple of things:

1. Konstantinovs himself, the guy whom everyone loves to mention when it comes to round-back deadlifting, has said that setting up with slight spinal flexion and completely bracing your abs and erectors is a safe way to pull, but going into flexion after initiating the pull is horribly unsafe. Notice how your back is flat when you set up, but immediately rounds out when you apply force to the bar? That’s flexion under load, the exact thing the patron saint of round-back deadlifting cautioned against.

2. Now for something more practical: notice how the bar slows dramatically as you approach lockout. This is in direct correlation to pulling with a rounded back. Your hips are in full extension very early on in the lift, so you have no way to pull them into the bar after it passes your knees, causing your lockout to be exceedingly difficult. The only way to finish the lift is back extension. This is a common trait of a round-back puller: faster off of the floor, slower towards lockout; you just take it further than is mechanically useful. Eventually, you’re going to try a weight that you simply can’t muscle through this zone, and you’ll fail at lockout. You need to pull with a more neutral spine (note: “more neutral” doesn’t have to mean completely flat), strengthen your legs enough to break the weight off of the floor while keeping good back position, and you’ll be in good shape.